The Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony…

The Annihilation of Foreverland (edition 2012)

by Tony Bertauski

Member:cindyXIII
Title:The Annihilation of Foreverland
Authors:Tony Bertauski
Info:Bertauski (2012), Paperback, 316 pages

The Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony Bertauski

Idlewild by Nick Sagan (simon211175)
    simon211175: Both contain elements of a VR world. similar writing styles.

I got this copy from Librarything in return for an honest review. This book was very well constructed and written. It seemed like the "bad guys" could have been more fleshed out to muddy the ethical waters a bit.
But seriously I think even the parts that made me uncomfortable (and young boys having to get nude and such) were put in there to make me as awkward as the characters.
Very good, I look forward to the next installment! ( )
  clarkcrossing | Jul 5, 2014 |
Bertauski does it again. I recently read Clay and was obliged to give it five stars. I am going to have to do so again for the Annihilation of Foreverland and it's not something I often do.

Foreverland takes me back somewhat to writers like John Christopher with perhaps faint echoes of William Gibson and Arthur C. Clarke. It is set on an isolated island in the middle of the Pacific inhabited by a bunch of teenage boys who have lost their memories; their 'Investors' and the mysterious Director.

The boys are treated well, with plenty of food and with lots of times for games and other recreations. But, every few weeks they are hauled off into dank cells. The suffer darkness and cold water for an hour or so, then they are given a device which takes them to Foreverland - a place created by direct mental stimulus but apparently real. In Foreverland, you can do anything you want - fly, transform into another creature or even meet girls. Not a bad life on the whole but after a while, boys disappear and it isn't altogether clear what happens to them.

The story centres around a new arrival - Danny - who turns out to be a bit of a computer whiz and Reed who, for some reason, refuses to go into Foreverland. This angers his 'Investor' who subjects him to more and more discomfort when he is in his cell until it spills over into what can only be described as torture.

I won't go any further as we will start hitting spoilers. Suffice to say it is a great read and thoroughly recommended. ( )
  StephenHart | Jun 25, 2014 |
Absolutely loved this - in fact I read it in one sitting!! The story is really interesting and fast paced - very, very good! ( )
  Librarian42 | Jun 23, 2014 |
The Annihilation of Foreverland is one of the most enjoyable books I’ve read this year. It’s entertaining, a little out there, and makes you think.

While I found this book to be different and new in many ways, I can also find similarities with many other popular (more mature) YA books/series. Ender’s Game was one that came to mind right away. The Hunger Games, and some other dystopian titles can also be grouped with Bertauski’s novel. I think fans of either of those books, dystopian, and books with an alternate or cyber reality might like to check this one out.

I think my favorite part of this book was Foreverland. It’s concept and the virtual world itself, made me wonder about the real-life possibilities of the human mind and our computer technology. This is often the case when it comes to science fiction and I think the author set it up effectively. I also thought the characters were great. Danny Boy, one of the main characters, was my favorite. All of the characters were well-developed and played a big role in the story. There were even a few times when I sympathized for the “bad guys.” With a story like this one, it’s not easy to do (but you’ll have to read it to know what that’s all about. can’t reveal too much without spoiling this one.)

This is the first book of a series, and if this is any indication of what to expect in future books, I think it has a chance of becoming one of my favorite series. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |
Well, I've heard a lot of good things about this book.

And I have to admit I adore this cover.

But I found the book to be rather boring and I couldn't summon the desire to finish. It didn't bother me so I gave it 3 stars.

I quit at 20%. Later I'll link to a review from my friend Caleb who enjoyed this book much more than I ....if he ever finishes his review (*pokes Caleb*). Link! http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/09/02/the-annihilation-of-foreverland-by-tony... ( )
  MrsJoseph | Mar 30, 2013 |

OVER 40,000 DOWNLOADS IN 2012!

When kids awake on an island, they’re told there was an accident. Before they can go home, they will visit Foreverland, an alternate reality that will heal their minds. Reed dreams of a girl that tells him to resist Foreverland. He doesn’t remember her name, but knows he once loved her. He’ll have to endure great suffering and trust his dream. And trust he’s not insane. Danny Boy, the new arrival, meets Reed’s dream girl inside Foreverland. She’s stuck in the fantasy land that no kid can resist. Where every heart’s desire is satisfied. Why should anyone care how Foreverland works?

Other books by Tony Bertauski (Bertauski.com)

Claus: Legend of the Fat Man (Fantasy/Sci-fi)

The Discovery of Socket Greeny (YA/Sci-fi) FREE!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:10 -0400)

Tony Bertauski is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,554,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible