The Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony…

The Annihilation of Foreverland (edition 2012)

by Tony Bertauski

Member:cindyXIII
Title:The Annihilation of Foreverland
Authors:Tony Bertauski
Info:Bertauski (2012), Paperback, 316 pages

The Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony Bertauski

Idlewild by Nick Sagan (simon211175)
    simon211175: Both contain elements of a VR world. similar writing styles.

This turned out to be a really cool book. Techno-Thriller with a little human trafficking can go a long ways. I liked that I couldn't quite figure it out before the end. This story grips you and keeps you reading. I was rooting on the good guys even before they were the "good guys" ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
A self-published, Kindle novel - so not me. On top of that, I think it is YA. I start a lot of these each year & never mention it because they're just not up to snuff & I hate to hurt the author's feelings. But I read this one & I'm very glad I did. It was a really pleasant surprise of a straight SF novel with a lot of fantastic elements. Quite an imaginative setup with well motivated characters, well drawn in a strange scenario that could be happening now or in the near future.

I spent the first 1/4 of the novel trying to figure out what was happening & the next half realizing I was right, but trying to figure out what the fix was. Then the last 1/4 was a mad dash to see who would win.

There were faults. Some of the plot points just had to be believed, but given the nature of the story, that was inevitable. Damn, I want to explain that more, but just about anything I say is a spoiler. Half the fun of the book is the mystery, trying to figure out just what is going on. It was a great ride & I look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I got this copy from Librarything in return for an honest review. This book was very well constructed and written. It seemed like the "bad guys" could have been more fleshed out to muddy the ethical waters a bit.
But seriously I think even the parts that made me uncomfortable (and young boys having to get nude and such) were put in there to make me as awkward as the characters.
Very good, I look forward to the next installment! ( )
  clarkcrossing | Jul 5, 2014 |
Bertauski does it again. I recently read Clay and was obliged to give it five stars. I am going to have to do so again for the Annihilation of Foreverland and it's not something I often do.

Foreverland takes me back somewhat to writers like John Christopher with perhaps faint echoes of William Gibson and Arthur C. Clarke. It is set on an isolated island in the middle of the Pacific inhabited by a bunch of teenage boys who have lost their memories; their 'Investors' and the mysterious Director.

The boys are treated well, with plenty of food and with lots of times for games and other recreations. But, every few weeks they are hauled off into dank cells. The suffer darkness and cold water for an hour or so, then they are given a device which takes them to Foreverland - a place created by direct mental stimulus but apparently real. In Foreverland, you can do anything you want - fly, transform into another creature or even meet girls. Not a bad life on the whole but after a while, boys disappear and it isn't altogether clear what happens to them.

The story centres around a new arrival - Danny - who turns out to be a bit of a computer whiz and Reed who, for some reason, refuses to go into Foreverland. This angers his 'Investor' who subjects him to more and more discomfort when he is in his cell until it spills over into what can only be described as torture.

I won't go any further as we will start hitting spoilers. Suffice to say it is a great read and thoroughly recommended. ( )
  StephenHart | Jun 25, 2014 |
Absolutely loved this - in fact I read it in one sitting!! The story is really interesting and fast paced - very, very good! ( )
  Librarian42 | Jun 23, 2014 |

OVER 40,000 DOWNLOADS IN 2012!

When kids awake on an island, they’re told there was an accident. Before they can go home, they will visit Foreverland, an alternate reality that will heal their minds.

Reed dreams of a girl that tells him to resist Foreverland. He doesn’t remember her name, but knows he once loved her. He’ll have to endure great suffering and trust his dream. And trust he’s not insane.

Danny Boy, the new arrival, meets Reed’s dream girl inside Foreverland. She’s stuck in the fantasy land that no kid can resist. Where every heart’s desire is satisfied. Why should anyone care how Foreverland works?

Other books by Tony Bertauski (Bertauski.com)

Claus: Legend of the Fat Man (Fantasy/Sci-fi)

The Discovery of Socket Greeny (YA/Sci-fi) FREE!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:10 -0400)

Tony Bertauski is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible