Rescuing Rose by Isabel Wolff

Rescuing Rose

by Isabel Wolff

206556,890 (3.32)8

English (3)  French (1)  All (4)
I wasn’t as enthralled with Rescuing Rose by Isabel Wolff as I was with A Vintage Affair, the last book I read by this author. I found this story slow and labor-intensive, and I did not like the main character which meant that I really didn’t care if her romantic life worked out or not. Rose is a 30 something woman whose seven month marriage just ended, her ex-husband felt left out when Rose took on a newspaper column and became an agony aunt. He then proceeded to take up with their marriage councillor which effectively put an end to their marriage. Rose herself is a very tightly wound character. The reasons for her very buttoned up personality are s-l-o-w-l-y revealed through the course of the book but honestly, instead of dishing out advice to others, she needs some help herself.

I did stick with the book and there were some enjoyable bits such as Rose’s mynah bird who always knew the exact wrong thing to say and the sub-plot involving Rose’s handicapped neighbour and her aid dog, Trevor was interesting. But overall I would say this book was a “miss” for me and I am looking forward to moving on to something new and different. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 22, 2017 |
This started out so well. I’ve enjoyed one or two Wolff romantic novels before and so I was looking forward to this one. At first, I found myself warming to agony aunt Rose and her eclectic set of relationships and was eager to know how she would resolve matters with her soon-to-be ex husband Ed and her new lodger Theo. Not to mention her disabled neighbour Bev, and her long friendship with the twins (though I found it really hard to tell the difference between the twins at all).

After a while however, I found myself more and more willing to put the book down and go and do something else. Anything else. Because the trouble with this novel is that it has all the ingredients it needs, but doesn’t know how to blend them together. Plus it outstays its welcome by quite a long marker, which is another negative. New romantic interest Theo starts out very well – a warm picture of a blunt but caring Yorkshireman – but somehow manages to transmute himself to something very close to an emotional bully. Rose has gone through quite a difficult childhood and doesn’t know who her real family is, but Theo regularly berates her for not facing up to the truth in very harsh terms and seems very quick to criticise her at any opportunity, even immediately after their first romantic night together. Heavens, no wonder Rose is cross! I’m all for the strong hero, but not when he has absolutely no emotional common sense whatsoever.

I also lost interest in Rose herself about three-quarters of the way through the book, when she stops being a normal, kind-hearted woman and strangely becomes a mouthpiece for every kind of counselling cliché in the known universe. Honestly, all her ‘coming to terms with her past’ and ‘moving on’ type talk made my teeth itch. I wanted the old dippy Rose back – she was far more human. Plus I really hated the way she ended up treating her ex-husband, and accusing him of turning his back on his family when actually she’s been ignoring and hating her own for years. I had every sympathy for Ed here, no matter his evident lack of generosity, as I’m not too fond of my own siblings either and would have to be heavily persuaded to do anything remotely nice for them at any point. So the way Rose trampled on Ed’s family difficulties made me feel quite ill – how very judgemental our agony aunt actually turned out to be …

Aspects of the book I enjoyed were the talking bird (more, please!), plus neighbour Bev’s story and her carer dog (and usually I hate dogs), and how Bev turns her life around – in a human and charming way – and wins through. In some ways, it was more Bev’s story than Rose’s so perhaps Wolff focused her efforts on the wrong heroine? I also thought there was a whole other book in the information given about Rose’s mother, though in context here it was unfortunately rather Mills & Boon and overwrought.

So, all in all, a good start but a poor finish.

3 stars. Disappointing and too long ( )
  AnneBrooke | Sep 17, 2014 |
Se laisse agréablement lire même si beaucoup d'évènements sont très prévisibles. ( )
  stephane.jean | Aug 1, 2010 |

Who does an advice columnist ask for help?

Thirty-six-ish, well, thirty-eight . . . no, actually, thirty-nine-year-old advice columnist Rose Costelloe thought she'd solved all her problems when she got married after a whirlwind two-month courtship. But seven months and an extremely public smash-up later (embarrassing, when you dole out relationship wisdom for a living), things are looking thorny for Rose. Her job's in jeopardy, her finances are in shambles and she's being plagued by a stalker who seems to know rather a lot about the mysterious circumstances of her birth.

Sometimes rescue comes from an unexpected source . . .

Her zany friends suggest she get a roommate, and at first Theo, a geeky accountant, seems like the perfect choice for resolutely single Rose. Soon, however, she's seeing stars -- Theo has a secret passion for astronomy . . . and he might just be fond of his prickly redheaded landlady, as well. Will Rose be able to chart her own course?

From the bestselling author of The Trials of Tiffany Trott, The Making of Minty Malone, and Out of the Blue comes a tale of star-crossed lovers who, though they live under the same roof, might as well be on different planets.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:40 -0400)

After a whirlwind marraige and then a public breakup, advice columnist Rose Costelloe's life is a shambles. On the advice of friends, however, she acquires a geeky roommate who soon has her seeing stars.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,696,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible