De kunst van het reizen by Alain de Botton

De kunst van het reizen (2002)

by Alain de Botton

Member:vanstin
Title:De kunst van het reizen
Authors:Alain de Botton
Info:Olympus Pockets (Paperback)

The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton (2002)

English (44)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (50)
A beautiful rumination on travel and those people (famous and ordinary) who experience it. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | May 31, 2018 |
A thoughtful, artistic series of essays on, yes, travel - but vicarious travel too, and even philosophy as relates to going afield. In one segment, de Botton describes his forlorn surroundings in a lonely freeway service station in England, which leads to reveries on Charles Baudelaire, and, by connection, to the artist Edward Hopper. Later, we learn about the Uber-discoverer (and traveler), Alexander von Humboldt. We learn about "The Exoticism of Camels", an animal which fascinated Gustave Flaubert, and, later, about van Gogh's wellspring of work in Provence. And so forth.. I'd recommend especially to anyone who is about to take to the skies or seas, or who simply wants to enjoy the notions of an respected thinker. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Apr 21, 2017 |
An deceptively slim book of essays on travel in all its aspects. The author uses literature and art to broaden his perspective on travel - trying to capture what it is that keeps us moving around and uncovering motives and strategies for absorbing more. I had been exposed to some of these ideas before, but still enjoyed the way it is all put together. Insight and transformation await the attentive reader. ( )
  dbsovereign | Mar 19, 2017 |
This is a very good book, and one that all travellers must read. As he starts - it is not just about where you wan to travel to, but why and how. I also like the gem at the end - be like a traveller in your own home.

The manner in which he has used some earlier writers and artists as 'guides', is a masterpiece. We see the world in their eyes, as much as he can help us do so, but also through the eyes of Alain. I am a 'traveller', and there is much that I relate to in the book. The manner in which he has laid out the book, from 'Anticipation' to 'Return' is absolutely brilliant.

The book, no fault of his, is something that people who have travelled to the West, or who are familiar with his 'guides', will relate to. For those who are not familiar, this can be a drawback. However, this is a small quibble in a magnificent book. ( )
  RajivC | Dec 29, 2016 |
I read the Kindle version, which unfortunately did not have most of the pictures and did have some strange (presumably character recognition related) typos.

There were some lovely moments in this book (de Botton not wanting to get out of bed, his bossy guidebook, de Maistre's room travel, Wordsworth's love of nature...), but over all it didn't grab me. ( )
  KWharton | Dec 5, 2016 |
The trouble with The Art of Travel is that he clearly does not have the same enthusiasm for travel.

For Michele Hutchison
It was hard to say when exactly winter arrived.
Wenn das Streben nach Glück unser Leben beherrscht, erschließen uns vielleicht nur wenige unserer Handlungen soviel über die Dynamik dieser Suche – mit all ihrer Inbrunst und ihren Paradoxien – wie die Reisen, die wir unternehmen.

En este libro Alain de Botton, autor de Las consolaciones de la filosofía, emprende un recorrido por las satisfacciones y desilusiones que producen los viajes. Entre otros temas, se ocupa de aeropuertos, alfombras exóticas, romances y minibares de hotel. Esta obra, cargada de humor, revela las motivaciones ocultas, las expectativas y las complicaciones de nuestros derroteros por el ancho mundo. Las reflexiones de escritores, pensadores y artistas como Gustave Flaubert o Edward Hopper, entre otros, le acompañan. El arte de viajar es el antídoto perfecto para esas guías que nos dicen qué hacer cuando llegamos a un lugar, pues trata de explicar, en primer lugar, qué impulso nos llevó hasta allí y, modestamente, sugiere cómo podríamos ser más felices en nuestros viajes.

Any Baedeker will tell us where we ought to travel, but only Alain de Botton will tell us how and why. With the same intelligence and insouciant charm he brought to How Proust Can Save Your Life, de Botton considers the pleasures of anticipation; the allure of the exotic, and the value of noticing everything from a seascape in Barbados to the takeoffs at Heathrow.

Even as de Botton takes the reader along on his own peregrinations, he also cites such distinguished fellow-travelers as Baudelaire, Wordsworth, Van Gogh, the biologist Alexander von Humboldt, and the 18th-century eccentric Xavier de Maistre, who catalogued the wonders of his bedroom. The Art of Travel is a wise and utterly original book. Don’t leave home without it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:01 -0400)

Explores what the point of travel might be, discussing how traveling can improve someone's disposition, health, and happiness, and suggests how people can be happier in their travels.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,779,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible