Cat Daddy: What the World's Most…

Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About… (2012)

by Jackson Galaxy

1332091,855 (3.75)20
Recently added by4everfanatical, private library, clpayne, mallinje, GanneC, JeanetteSkwor, andreasaria, agille37

I LOVE Jackson Galaxy!

Seriously though, I am an avid fan of his show 'My Cat From Hell' and I fancy the man to death. Needless to say I was excited to read his book.

Far from being a book solely looking at cat behaviour it is a memoir of Jackson's early career working in an animal shelter and chronicals his life also as a struggling musician and a drug addict.

On the downside, the book mainly focuses on Jackson and there was precious little details on his beloved cats. The reader is introduced to Benny, a cat dumped at the shelter that Jackson subsequently takes home. I desperately wanted to know more about Benny but as other reviewers have commented Benny seemed more of a side show to the story of Jackson.

Don't get me wrong I loved reading about Jackson I just wanted more cat stuff. I wanted more information on Velouria, Benny, and all the other cats Jackson briefly mentions. The book could have been double the length to accommodate this and I would have devoured every page. The helpful hints about cat behaviour were sparse but interesting.

I just wanted Jackson's passion for his cats to come through in the description of Benny and Velouria, all their little quirks, habits - in what way exactly they saved Jackson and ultimately added to his life. I'm sure there was a lot of detail inbetween all the life events in Jackson's life about his cats but I didnt really get to read about that and that was kind of disappointing as I expected this book to be more cat focused.

All in all love the man and it was an enjoyable read! ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Cat Daddy: What the World’s Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean by Jackson Galaxy

★★★ ½

Jackson Galaxy is the cat behaviorist on the popular Animal Planet show – My Cat From Hell!. But it wasn’t an easy ride there. The man was addicted to drugs and alcohol, taking anything he could get his hands on and ODing more than once, he’d also gain an addiction to food that would nearly cost him his life. But through it all he’d find his gift with animals, more so with cats. He’d learn he could “talk” to them and over time learned how to “train” cats, doing everything he could to hopefully make sure cats stayed in loving homes and not toss to the streets.

I really enjoyed this book. It doesn’t delve into his time on the show. It’s about his earlier life - his start working in animal shelters, his struggle to get clean, his life with his cats and his business. He is very raw and honest. He doesn’t hold back. He throws out his feelings and it’s fairly obvious he doesn’t care if you agree or not. Since I have worked with animals in many environments (rescues, kennels, training facilities, Humane societies, vets, my own pet-sitting and dog walking business), I felt a connection to his thoughts, especially in his time working in an animal shelter. Up until this point my exposure of Jackson Galaxy was his wildly popular show; I had no idea the troubles he had before. I love how open and honest he was about his addictions and his struggles to overcome them (and as anyone who has ever been addicted to anything ever knows – they will forever struggle to overcome). He also puts tips and hints throughout the book on how to handle certain cat situations. He’s the kind of guy I’d want to be friends with. Thumbs up.
  UberButter | Jan 18, 2016 |

UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |

UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
Good story. Didn't know the show existed, and always good to read about someone who follows their passion and succeeds. ( )
  jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |

Cat behaviorist and star of Animal Planet's hit show My Cat from Hell, Jackson Galaxy isn't what you might expect for a cat expert. Yet Galaxy's ability to connect with even the most troubled felines--not to mention the stressed-out humans living in their wake--is awe-inspiring. Here, Galaxy tells the poignant story of his thirteen-year relationship with a petite cat named Benny, and gives singular advice for living with, caring for, and loving the feline in your home. When Benny arrived in his life, Galaxy was a down-and-out rock musician with a part-time job at an animal shelter and a drug problem. Benny's previous owner brought the cat to the shelter, insisting he was "unbondable." This inspiring account of two broken beings who fixed each other is laced throughout with Galaxy's "Cat Mojo" advice for understanding what cats need from us humans in order to live happier, healthier lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,050,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible