Sheer Abandon by Penny Vincenzi

Sheer Abandon

by Penny Vincenzi

English (12)  Danish (1)  All languages (13)
Finished this book yesterday. At one time I was really wondering why I kept on reading but after posting that, 1 day ago, I knew why. This book has its very good phases and some very boring ones. I liked the last 3/4th of the book and there was one thing I did not see coming. I like to be surprised and she managed to do that after all. Of course I did figure out who the mom and dad of kate were, very soon as most of the readers did, so being surprised was a nice thing which I did not expect anymore. Overall I thought it was an OK read. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
This book could have been good. And I wanted it to be. Unfortunately, it was super freaking long, and not in a good way, like you wish books you LIKE were never ending, but in a horrible way- similar to rush hour traffic or the wait for your vacation to finally get here. During part three, I got the distinct feeling that she ended the book SEVERAL TIMES and then thought- or wait, let's add another twist!! Ugh. ( )
  TeenieLee | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was the second Penny Vincenzi book I've read. It certainly kept me turning the pages (I plowed through the second half of this book yesterday), but it just wasn't as exciting as "The Best of Times." The mystery was solved a bit too soon for my taste. I did like all of the characters and liked how it skipped from story to story. I think that's what Vincenzi's appeal is. All in all, I really liked it. I especially liked that most of this novel was dialogue, rather than plain narration. If you're up for a feel-good, British, girlie novel that will tug on your heart, then I certainly recommend it. ( )
  lyzrdpye | Dec 12, 2010 |
Sheer Abandon is a soap opera in print. The reader knows that the characters will all be tied together somehow by the baby abandoned in an airport in the first chapter. Tension is built throughout the story but many of the plot developments are unbelievable coincidence though not always predictable. Vincenzi creates a very British setting with tabloid journalists, a failing health care system, and a budding new political party to challenge the establishment. Very little sex and language for such a long book about so many couples. An okay read if you like over-the-top drama with a British bent. ( )
  bookappeal | Jan 11, 2009 |
the swooning is a bit much
  Kaethe | May 27, 2008 |

A number-one bestseller from one of Britain’s most popular novelists, Sheer Abandon is an all-consuming story revolving around the consequences of a desperate act . . .

Martha, Clio, and Jocasta meet by chance at Heathrow airport in 1985 as they are starting off on separate backpacking adventures, and they decide to spend the first few days of their trips together in Thailand. When they go their separate ways, they vow to get together in London the following year. But many years pass before the three cross paths again, and the once-capricious, carefree girls now all have thriving careers. One of them, however, harbors a terrible secret: On her return from her pre-college excursion, she abandoned her just-born daughter at Heathrow.

Clio has fulfilled her ambition of becoming a doctor, only to find herself trapped in a marriage to an arrogant surgeon who belittles her and her professional achievements. Martha is a highly paid corporate lawyer, just embarking on a political career. Dedicated to her job, she has had little time for personal relationships and lives a busy, but lonely life. Jocasta, a tabloid newspaper reporter with an infallible instinct for the big story, is in love with a charming colleague who can’t make the permanent commitment she longs for. The infant abandoned at Heathrow has grown up under the loving care of her adoptive family. Now a beautiful teenager named Kate, she sets out to find her birth mother—a quest that unexpectedly brings the women together and exposes the secret buried so many years before.

Impossible to put down, Sheer Abandon is top-notch women’s fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

One night in 1986 an abandoned baby girl is found in a cleaning cupboard at Heathrow airport. As a teenager Kate, the foundling, is desperate to find her birth mother, even though she was adopted by a loving family. Gradually the lives of Kate and three girls Martha, Clio and Jocasta who were backpackers together a year before Kate was found abandoned, are intertwined.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible