Cardboard by Doug Tennapel

Title:Cardboard
Authors:Doug Tennapel
Info:GRAPHIX (2012), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:YA, Graphic Novels, Cardboard, Unemployment, Fathers and Sons, Bullies, Fantasy, Magic, Monsters

Cardboard by Doug TenNapel

The 6th grader wanted me to read it, as he LOVED it. Me? It was OK--but it's a book for middle schoolers, so there you go. ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
Booktalk: "Cam’s father is desperate to get a job as a carpenter but no one is hiring. Times are so hard that for Cam’s birthday his dad buys him…a cardboard box. Together they build a man out of the cardboard…actually they build a man who’s a boxer complete with cardboard shorts and cardboard gloves. But overnight the cardboard boxer magically comes alive. His name is Bill, he seems to be a nice guy, and not only can he box but he can mow the lawn. The mean boy next door steals some of the magic cardboard and ends up creating evil cardboard monsters who are taking over the neighborhood. For Cam and his dad, the box started out as fun and games. They made cool stuff out of the cardboard, but now it’s trying to kill them. Now it’s war."

This graphic novel is chock-a-block with adventure and evil intent right through the explosive climax. But at heart it's a great story about a father and son sticking together and believing in each other through thick and thin. A great read for young teens but boys especially. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I thought this was a great, non-superhero graphic novel for middle and high school age readers! The artwork is fantastic, it is an action-packed read, and there is an obvious message about friendship and not being scared of your inner self doubts (among others themes). I read some reviews that didn’t like the use of cardboard weapons in the story, but this didn’t bother me because the end resolution didn’t have anything to do with guns, it was between Cam and Marcus. I would easily re-read this graphic novel and recommend it to fans of graphic novels by Doug TenNapel, Gene Luen Yang, and Faith Erin Hicks. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

When cardboard creatures come magically to life, a boy must save his town from disaster.

Cam's down-and-out father gives him a cardboard box for his birthday and he knows it's the worst present ever. So to make the best of a bad situation, they bend the cardboard into a man-and to their astonishment, it comes magically to life. But the neighborhood bully, Marcus, warps the powerful cardboard into his own evil creations that threaten to destroy them all!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible