The Secret Tree by Natalie Standiford

The Secret Tree (edition 2012)

by Natalie Standiford

Member:tripleblessings
Title:The Secret Tree
Authors:Natalie Standiford
Info:Scholastic (2012), Edition: 1ST, Paperback
Tags:YA, children's, coming of age, friendship, american

The Secret Tree by Natalie Standiford

This book is about a girl named Minty Fresh who finds a tree that has secrets inside it. The people who know about the tree, say that there is a ghost named 'Crazy Ike' that lives inside it and eats the secrets. Later in the book, Minty meets a boy named Raymond who keeps a notebook of these secrets. In this book both of them try to solve all the secrets and in the end they succeed.
I did not like this book as much as the other books I have read. Even though they are Fantasy books, I am usually able to connect with the characters, but in this one I could not really connect with them. I was not a big fan of they way the author wrote the story and I did not get drawn into the book. ( )
  Rhea2007 | Nov 10, 2015 |
Minty is trying to enjoy summer. Her best friend starts acting weird and she hears whispers from a tree in the woods behind her house. The tree is a place where people in her town leave their secrets. With her new, mysterious friend Raymond, whe begins to spy on her family, freinds, and neighbors in the hopes of discovering what secret belongs to whom and to help people begin to solve their problems.
Sometimes major problems are just skimmed over, and it's got the old friendship changing in middle school thing with a lot of happily ever after resolutions. A cute breezy story. ( )
  ewyatt | Aug 1, 2015 |
Here is a book where a child learns to look deeper at all the people around her as she tries to match secrets to neighbors. It is touching in the ways she tries to help everyone and grows in maturity as she does. The more she knows of others the more she finds they are alike. Each secret could be anyone's. I enjoyed this quick but deep read. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A mystery but a mystery the way Three Times Lucky is a mystery. The characters and friendships and changes take center stage and are the best part of this story. The tree and its random notes felt like a mere plot device and that's what failed for me. ( )
  geraldinefm | Mar 3, 2013 |
The summer before 6th grade is when Minty expects that she and her best friend Paz will practice their roller derby routines. But Paz has other plans - becoming friends with the cooler 7th grade girls. Minty meets a mysterious boy who lives all by himself. They discover a tree that contains people's secrets and decide to figure out who the secrets belong to. Perhaps they can help fix those secrets.
  m0nster2 | Dec 17, 2012 |

Minty's neighborhood is full of mysteries. There's the Witch House, a spooky old farmhouse on the other side of woods from where Minty and her best friend, Paz, live. There's the Man Bat, a seven-foot-tall half man, half bat who is rumored to fly through the woods. And there are the Mean Boys, David and Troy, who torment Minty for no reason, and her boy-crazy older sister, Thea, who acts weirder and weirder.

A sweet story of a tree that's literally filled with secrets.

What is your secret?

One day Minty spots a flash in the woods, and when she chases after it, she discovers a new mystery--a Secret Tree, with a hollow trunk that holds the secrets of everyone in the neighborhood. Secrets like:

I put a curse on my enemy. And it's working.

I'm betraying my best friend in a terrible way.

No one loves me except my goldfish.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:21 -0400)

After Minty discovers a secret tree with a hollow trunk that holds the secrets of everyone in the neighborhood, Raymond, a new boy drawn to the tree and Minty start watching their neighbors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,184,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible