Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Secret Tree by Natalie Standiford

The Secret Tree (edition 2012)

by Natalie Standiford

Member:tripleblessings
Title:The Secret Tree
Authors:Natalie Standiford
Info:Scholastic (2012), Edition: 1ST, Paperback
Tags:YA, children's, coming of age, friendship, american

The Secret Tree by Natalie Standiford

Recently added bykwbridge, private library, BillieBook, VictoriaVisher, kwalther, rheise, janillabean, tabithale

Here is a book where a child learns to look deeper at all the people around her as she tries to match secrets to neighbors. It is touching in the ways she tries to help everyone and grows in maturity as she does. The more she knows of others the more she finds they are alike. Each secret could be anyone's. I enjoyed this quick but deep read. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A mystery but a mystery the way Three Times Lucky is a mystery. The characters and friendships and changes take center stage and are the best part of this story. The tree and its random notes felt like a mere plot device and that's what failed for me. ( )
  geraldinefm | Mar 3, 2013 |
The summer before 6th grade is when Minty expects that she and her best friend Paz will practice their roller derby routines. But Paz has other plans - becoming friends with the cooler 7th grade girls. Minty meets a mysterious boy who lives all by himself. They discover a tree that contains people's secrets and decide to figure out who the secrets belong to. Perhaps they can help fix those secrets.
  m0nster2 | Dec 17, 2012 |
"Otis said when you disturb a spirit's grave, the ghost floats out of the ground and goes to live in a tree. Especially a tree with holes in it. And it eats secrets. So if you find a tree with a hole in it, you can put your secret there and the spirit makes it go away"...
"How does Otis know so much about spirits?" I asked.
"He's from Louisiana," Raymond told me. "He knows voodoo."
Minty (Araminta Mortimer) lives in a town full of secrets, and her summer revolves around discovering the stories behind the mysteries while figuring out how to be herself when everyone around her is changing. When she sees something streaking through the woods, she follows it and discovers the Secret Tree, which holds a tightly folded scrap of paper:
No one loves me except my goldfish.
More secrets follow: I put a curse on my enemy. And it's working. I'm in love with Kip Murphy. I wish I had the guts to run away. I'm betraying my best friend in a terrible way. Minty befriends Raymond, who appears to be living alone in the abandoned half-built housing development that went bankrupt. Together they work to figure out whose secrets are whose from the Secret Tree, in a town that has a Witch House and a back-from-the-grave seven-foot-tall Man-Bat. There are Mean Boys, grouchy older sisters, and a missing stuffed animal. Everyone has secrets, even Minty, and all of them weave together for a wonderful mystery. 6th grade and up ( )
  KarenBall | Oct 22, 2012 |
This was a cute book. A little young but still fun. 6/30 ( )
  peggygillman | Oct 12, 2012 |

Minty's neighborhood is full of mysteries. There's the Witch House, a spooky old farmhouse on the other side of woods from where Minty and her best friend, Paz, live. There's the Man Bat, a seven-foot-tall half man, half bat who is rumored to fly through the woods. And there are the Mean Boys, David and Troy, who torment Minty for no reason, and her boy-crazy older sister, Thea, who acts weirder and weirder.

A sweet story of a tree that's literally filled with secrets.

What is your secret?

One day Minty spots a flash in the woods, and when she chases after it, she discovers a new mystery--a Secret Tree, with a hollow trunk that holds the secrets of everyone in the neighborhood. Secrets like:

I put a curse on my enemy. And it's working.

I'm betraying my best friend in a terrible way.

No one loves me except my goldfish.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:38 -0400)

After Minty discovers a secret tree with a hollow trunk that holds the secrets of everyone in the neighborhood, Raymond, a new boy drawn to the tree and Minty start watching their neighbors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,700,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible