My Happy Days in Hollywood: A Memoir by…

My Happy Days in Hollywood: A Memoir

by Garry Marshall

Garry Marshall’s autobiography is a delight – from his stories of growing up as sickly child in the Bronx to his desires to be a writer, his college days at Northwestern, and his Army service. And you can’t leave out his tap-dancing mom, his business travelling dad, and sisters Ronny and Penny. He began his professional writing career with Joey Bishop and worked with folks like Danny Thomas, Sheldon Leonard, and Lucille Ball. During this time he worked with both difficult and easy to work with people and I think, found that being easy to work with is the way to go. Based on advice from Sheldon Leonard, he worked his way into producing/directing The Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, and Mork and Mindy, among others. It was interesting to read how the mix of people got along and what shows were headaches and what shows made going to work fun. (I won’t give it away). He then turned to directing films with hits and not-so-hits like The Flamingo Kid, Nothing in Common, Beaches, Pretty Women, Runaway Bride, The Princess Diaries, and so on. Again, his work ethic of trying to make things pleasant for everyone impressed me. It is a difficult business but if you can make it fun, it’s a plus, for everyone involved. It’s too bad not everyone has this up-beat attitude. And yes, Marshall did not always have good days. He encountered cancer and hip replacement surgery later in life but is still looking forward to each and every day. I could not believe folks saying they were irritated by his references to being a dad or that people grow up and away from Happy Days. I think if we had more people writing/directing/producing films of the family quality of Garry Marshall, we as a society would be in better shape today. I really enjoyed this book and some of the antidotes are hilarious. ( )
  knahs | Jul 8, 2014 |
Garry Marshall has an impressive career writing, directing and producing TV and movies (along with some theater and acting). He's been involved in many classics, and I've enjoyed his work. In his memoir, he comes across as a genial nice guy with interesting stories to tell. ( )
  ennie | Jan 30, 2014 |
This book read as if Marshall's goal was simply to talk about all of the people he's worked with. Not in a braggy way, but just because he enjoys people and figures the reader wants to hear about them. Low-key but interesting. ( )
1 vote cherilove | Sep 12, 2012 |
This was an interesting look back of Garry Marshall's career through his eyes. I am a fan of some the shows and movies that he has been attached to. I really liked reading about what went on behind the scenes. This book is pretty short but it felt much longer than it was because it spans a long period of time. I would definitely recommend this to fans of Garry Marshall's work. ( )
  dpappas | Jun 13, 2012 |

With the television hits The Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, and Mork & Mindy, and movies like The Flamingo Kid, Beaches, Pretty Woman, and The Princess Diaries under his belt, Garry Marshall has been among the most successful writers, directors, and producers in America for more than five decades. His work on the small and big screen has delighted audiences for the last three decades and has withstood the test of time.

In My Happy Days in Hollywood, Marshall takes us on a journey from his stickball-playing days in the Bronx to his time at the helm of some of the most popular television series and movies of all time, sharing the joys and challenges of working with the Fonz and the young Julia Roberts, the “street performer” Robin Williams, and the young Anne Hathaway, among many others. This honest, vibrant, and often hilarious memoir reveals a man whose career has been defined by his drive to make people laugh and whose personal philosophy—despite his tremendous achievements—has always been that life is more important than show business.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:06 -0400)

A lighthearted account by the producer and director of such productions as "Laverne & Shirley" and "Pretty Woman" traces his Bronx childhood, role in shaping A-list celebrity careers, and personal philosophies about life and entertainment.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible