Poem Runs: Baseball Poems by Douglas Florian

Poem Runs: Baseball Poems

by Douglas Florian

I had mixed feelings about the poetry book, Poem Runs. One of the reasons I liked the book was because the poems were written in simple form. The poems also showed different rhyming patterns, which I think would be helpful in teaching students a lesson on. One of the reasons I didn't like the book was because the poems were sometimes hard to follow in the way they were written. For example, a poem has slanted letters that were leading down to a different line in the poem but I didn't know where they attached. I had to go back and focus on the different letters. I think this could be very difficult for young children. Another reason I wasn't so keen on the book was because of the pictures. Some were very awkward and some I didn't understand. However, they looked as though children had drawn them and for this reason students might enjoy the pictures. ( )
  mooste2 | Mar 31, 2014 |
I found this book in the Beginner readers section of the bookstore exploration and I thought it was a very specific book for a very specific audience. It wasn't a book that I would use for the whole class, but including it in a class library could make that one child who loves baseball and sports very happy. For that, I think it's a great book. I also feel that it being a book of poems, struggling readers who are older and may feel too embarrassed to still be at a beginner level will not feel intimidated or embarrassed by the book.
  pyattlori | Oct 11, 2013 |
Another child-friendly, enjoyable collection from Florian. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
The illustrations are, in my opinion, relevant but of low quality; although, that could appeal to the children because it’s at their level.
  kredlove | Dec 6, 2012 |
This series of classic American poems touch on all aspects of baseball in a way that young baseball players can easily relate to.The poems are short and they are formatted so that the words visually represent what they mean. For example, in the first poem of the book, "stretch" is written as "s t r e t c h." Despite this being a book of poems based on sports it is definitely not geared towards boys alone. One poem is about the team's slugger being a girl. The book is styled in a very childlike manner from the illustrations to the word choice. However, I don't see all children being able to form a relationship with this book because not all readers have had experience with or too much background knowledge of baseball. I do not think I would teach this book to students because there are other poems that can be read that could be more relatable for all students. Though I do believe that it would be good on a class bookshelf because baseball playing students would love to see their sport written about in a series of poems. ( )
  amoore1 | Oct 27, 2012 |

From the first pitch to the last out and all nine innings between, Douglas Florian’s
collection of baseball poems brings wordplay, wit, and laughter to America’s
springtime tradition. Featuring a mean-armed pitcher, a daisy-picking right fielder,
and a lightning-swift base stealer, Poem Runs combines irresistible language and
Florian’s signature child-friendly, bold illustration style in this celebration of the magic
of baseball.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:59 -0400)

A collection of poems about baseball.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible