Poem Runs: Baseball Poems by Douglas Florian

Poem Runs: Baseball Poems

by Douglas Florian

I thought this book was really awesome. It gives headings in the book and gives poems that have to do with baseball. The poems had to do with positions and baseball terms like pitcher and slugger.
  astinchavez | Sep 26, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about the poetry book, Poem Runs. One of the reasons I liked the book was because the poems were written in simple form. The poems also showed different rhyming patterns, which I think would be helpful in teaching students a lesson on. One of the reasons I didn't like the book was because the poems were sometimes hard to follow in the way they were written. For example, a poem has slanted letters that were leading down to a different line in the poem but I didn't know where they attached. I had to go back and focus on the different letters. I think this could be very difficult for young children. Another reason I wasn't so keen on the book was because of the pictures. Some were very awkward and some I didn't understand. However, they looked as though children had drawn them and for this reason students might enjoy the pictures. ( )
  mooste2 | Mar 31, 2014 |
I found this book in the Beginner readers section of the bookstore exploration and I thought it was a very specific book for a very specific audience. It wasn't a book that I would use for the whole class, but including it in a class library could make that one child who loves baseball and sports very happy. For that, I think it's a great book. I also feel that it being a book of poems, struggling readers who are older and may feel too embarrassed to still be at a beginner level will not feel intimidated or embarrassed by the book.
  pyattlori | Oct 11, 2013 |
Another child-friendly, enjoyable collection from Florian. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
The illustrations are, in my opinion, relevant but of low quality; although, that could appeal to the children because it’s at their level.
  kredlove | Dec 6, 2012 |

From the first pitch to the last out and all nine innings between, Douglas Florian’s
collection of baseball poems brings wordplay, wit, and laughter to America’s
springtime tradition. Featuring a mean-armed pitcher, a daisy-picking right fielder,
and a lightning-swift base stealer, Poem Runs combines irresistible language and
Florian’s signature child-friendly, bold illustration style in this celebration of the magic
of baseball.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:59 -0400)

A collection of poems about baseball.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible