Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy, Historical Fantasy, Young Adult, England, 19th Century, 2012, Victorian

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Dodger is a young man of the streets whose life is about to change. He is perfectly capable of dodging the peelers and the sharpers, but can he dodge his own fate? A love story, a life story, a moral tale told as only Terry Pratchett can.

This is the sort of book I looked for during the years I homeschooled my children. A terrific story, packed full of nuggets of information to explore. Dodger lives in London in the mid 1800s. A true Dickensian character, he runs up against the likes of Charles Dickens, Benjamin Disraeli, Sir Robert Peel, and Sweeney Todd. Pratchett has honored Henry Mayhew, with this story, showing his inspiration for Ankh-Morpork as well. ( )
  MrsLee | Jul 9, 2016 |
If you’re a regular reader of this blog, then you probably already know how I feel about Terry Pratchett. The man was hilarious and created such wonderful worlds in his writing. What I’m consistently struck by was how much his love for his writing shines through in his works. Dodger is a story about the a poor young man living in Victorian England written by a man who clearly loved writing about all the weirdness and darkness of Victorian England.

In a word, Dodger is simply: fun. There’s mystery, intrigue, drama, and humorous callouts to notable 19th century figures, both fictional and non-fictional. I loved the tie-in to Dickens and Sweeney Todd, and I especially enjoyed learning about Dodger’s world — a world that, I’m sure, was shared by many 19th century London dwellers. This book is plain entertainment, and I love Pratchett for that. The one and only complaint I have for this story is that I didn’t think the ending was paced perfectly, but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment very much, so it’s a small negative thing.

Stephen Briggs did such a good job with narrating this book. When I’m listening to a book, I’m — sadly — probably not paying as much attention as I should be, and I sometimes get lost in terms of who says or does what. Briggs makes it incredibly easy to distinguish between the characters, especially — it seems — paying attention to the social status of each character and letting that reflect in their accent and mode of speaking. Some of the minor characters were given a lot more life than just reading the book would have given them, and I really appreciated the listening experience.

Overall, I recommend Dodger if you have any interest at all for Terry Pratchett books, or if you enjoy a good Victorian England mystery. I had a lot of fun listening to it and think it’s well worth anyone’s time.

Originally posted on Going on to the Next. ( )
  sedelia | Jun 13, 2016 |
[I]f you look inside any pod of peas, you will see that they are all sizes. The pea pod shapes them differently."

I'm just not the fan of Pratchett that I want to be. I'm sure he deserves his popularity, but I find that sometimes themes are repeated almost ad nauseum (in this one, it's about the fog that is the truth) and sometimes plot progressions and characters are shared so elliptically that I'm confused as all get out.

The author's note at the end is the best part of this one. If TP always wrote so straightforwardly I'd be happier." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Dodger - Terry Pratchett -
audio performance by Stephen Briggs
5 stars

In the author’s commentary, Terry Pratchett called this book historical fantasy, or ‘ a fantasy based on reality’. I call it delightful entertainment with a five star audio performance. The Dodger of the title is not Dickens’ Artful Dodger from Oliver Twist, but they do share certain personality traits. Pratchett’s Dodger combines a complete disregard of the law with an heroic sense of justice. He is a force for good. In the course of his adventures, he encounters a variety of historical characters from Sweeney Todd to Queen Victoria. His exploits are abetted and recorded by Charlie Dickens.

Dodger’s ‘tosher’ avocation (looking for treasure in the sewers) causes this book to be somewhat reminiscent of Gaiman’s Neverwhere. This story was just as much of an adventurous romp as Neverwhere. But, although Pratchett gives a good description of the ugly conditions in 19th century London, this book is not as graphically violent as Gaiman’s. I also liked Dodger’s friend, Solomon. Solomon is no Fagin. Pratchett went a long way to correct Dickens’ unfavorable portrayal of London’s Jews. I don’t usually expect to learn anything new from a young adult book, let alone a fantasy. However, although I’d heard of Henry Mayhew, Disraeli, and Robert Peel, I’d never heard of Miss Angela Burdett Coutts. I’m grateful for the introduction.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
The titular Dodger is a young man who is a tosher, someone who searches the sewers under Victorian London for valuables. His most priceless find, though, ends up being a young woman that he rescues from some very seedy men. Dodger then begins a journey through social strata, running into the likes of Dickens, Disraeli, and, eventually, making it all the way to the top.

There was so much to like about this story! There were amazing historical details, amusing uses of historical personages, harrowing moments, and also extremely touching ones. It was also just incredibly fun! Dodger is an amazing character and I plan to reread this book many times to spend more time with him.

http://webereading.com/2016/03/marchmagics-dodger.html ( )
  klpm | Mar 3, 2016 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Henry Mayhew for writing his book,
and to Lyn for absolutely
everything else.
The rain poured down on London so hard that it seemed it was dancing spray, every raindrop contending with its fellow for supremacy in the air and waiting to splash down.
He had been most interested to discover that the Froggies had drains too, pretty good ones, which you would have expected from Froggies, and so he jigged and dodged and ran on to the safe house he had sorted out last night, and he was having the time of his life. - Chapter 16

"In an alternative version of Victorian London, a seventeen-year-old Dodger, a cunning and cheeky street urchin, unexpectedly rises in life when he saves a mysterious girl, meets Charles Dickens, and unintentionally puts a stop to the murders of Sweeny Todd"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,621,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible