Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:YA Books Read

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

This may actually be my favorite book from Pratchett that I've read (and I have read quite a few).
I loved it even though it features a large number of historical characters (like Charles Dickens), a feature which often annoys me, if not done 'just right.' Although not without Pratchett's trademark humor, this is a somewhat more serious historical piece than most of his output.

'Dodger' is a young man just growing out of being one of Victorian London's street urchins. He lives with Solomon, an elderly Jewish watchmaker who has more in his past than one might expect.

Dodger ekes out a living by garbage-picking down in the sewers. But when an impulse drives him to come to the aid of a young lady being assaulted in an alley, he unexpectedly finds himself enmeshed in a chain of events that will open doors to him.

Fun adventure-mystery with plenty of twists and turns and vivid setting and characterization. However, I'm deducting one star for far too much harping on how everyone should have empathy for a serial killer because after all, he was just a traumatized individual himself. No, sorry. Pratchett may believe this, but I don't think that reasons are excuses. Dodger should save his charity for victims, not murderers.

But, even with that one quibble, I'd still highly recommend the book, and not just for the YA audience it's being marketed to, either. (I didn't find it to be particularly YA at all, although it does have a bit of a 'growing up' theme.) ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I love this author. Perfect for Anglophiles (people who love all things English). Dodger is a smart boy who is a tosher, someone who goes into the London sewers to search for lost coins and jewelery. He is witness to a crime and winds up helping to save a young lady named Simplicity. It took me a long time to read but the writing is brilliant. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
I enjoyed the Dickens references as well as some of the additional historical characters in this book. But all in all, I am not a Terry Pratchett fan. I think her style is nonsensical and childish which does not ring true for me in a young adult adventure story. I always feel like I should be reading a picture book when I read her books. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 22, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 22, 2016 |
What a wonderful book!! It is an adventure starring The Artful Dodger, the character originating in Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist." This story set up to take place before Charles Dickens is a famous author. He is at this point a journalist, and is forever writing down things that people say that we all know he will use in a future novel. He meets Dodger when a young woman is kidnapped and Dodger saves her life. A friend of Dickens takes the young lady in to keep her safe, then Dodger, Dickens, and a curious cast of characters form a plot to save her from her pursuers.
This exciting tale is fast-moving, funny, and very entertaining overall. It is written by Pratchett in the vein of Charles Dickens with lots of play-on-words and tongue-in-cheek phrases. Since I am a Dickens fan, this was a great plus for me. But I think anyone who is in the mood for a fun, quick-moving read will enjoy this book!
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Henry Mayhew for writing his book,
and to Lyn for absolutely
everything else.
The rain poured down on London so hard that it seemed it was dancing spray, every raindrop contending with its fellow for supremacy in the air and waiting to splash down.
He had been most interested to discover that the Froggies had drains too, pretty good ones, which you would have expected from Froggies, and so he jigged and dodged and ran on to the safe house he had sorted out last night, and he was having the time of his life. - Chapter 16

"In an alternative version of Victorian London, a seventeen-year-old Dodger, a cunning and cheeky street urchin, unexpectedly rises in life when he saves a mysterious girl, meets Charles Dickens, and unintentionally puts a stop to the murders of Sweeny Todd"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible