Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Member:reading_fox
Title:Dodger
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Doubleday Childrens (2012), Epub, 368 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Crime, thrillers and adventure
Tags:!pra, ebook, @2012, use, historical fantasy, history, social comment, christmas, crime, romance, religion

Dodger by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Dodger (played by Luke Skywalker) is an orphan who is brought up by grandpa (Uncle Owen and Aunt Bru). Grandpa Dies. Dodger makes friend with Solomon (Obi Wan Kenobi), an older man who has a special arrangement with the universe. He has a soul which he looks after and helps Dodger look after his soul too. Armed only with his lightsaber/wand/SweeneyTodd'srazor and accompanied by Gaspode the dog (R2D2), Dodger must rescue the princess from the faceless evil of Darth Vader (Lord Voldemort). ( )
1 vote Lukerik | May 12, 2015 |
Clever bit of historical fiction, set in the early 1800's. Dodger, a tosher, roams the London sewers looking for coins. In so doing, he stops a woman from being brutally beaten, interacts with journalist Charlie Dickens and other characters - both fictional and historical - falls in loves, and focuses on rescuing the woman. A little intrigue, a little history, a bit of fun. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Apr 24, 2015 |
I found this funny witty, and I really enjoyed it. It shows the underworld of Victorian London brilliantly ( )
  LouieAndTheLizard | Mar 14, 2015 |
Excellent departure for Terry Pratchett, not as outrageously funny as the Discworld novels, but still capturing his unique voice and ability to engage in social commentary via fictional characters. Dodger is set in Victorian London and follows a young man who lives in and under the streets and survives by his wits. Dodger happens upon a crime in progress and intervenes to save a young woman, an act of bravery that throws him into the middle of a dark plot revolving around her identity and the various socially and politically connected people who may not have her best interests at heart (and may disagree about what constitutes her best interests). He meets a respectable young writer named Charles Dickens, who can't resist the story unfolding.

Well researched, this novel captures the essence of London during a time when, as so many times throughout its history, the city was undergoing a significant social, legal and political upheaval. Interesting characters and an engrossing read. ( )
  sharoncville3579 | Jan 24, 2015 |
Terry Pratchett is my newest authorial addiction. I have been very ill for the last several weeks and in those few hours when I have been awake, I have thought about Frida Kahlo and the art she created while confined to her bed. To that end, I needed some inspiration to get me back on track. With several books in progress and some of them dark or hard going, I needed something that was fun. Enter Terry Pratchett.

Dodger is the kind of book I love. It is set in Victorian England and encompasses both the street life and the upper classes. It incorporates both fictional characters and real life people into the story having them interact with one another.

There is an element of a mystery to be solved without the usual mystery twists and turns because the story is less about the mystery and more about the characters who inhabit this world-particularly the main character, Dodger. To that end, the characters are so well done that even those you might not like, you care about.

The author put information at the end of the book explaining some of of the historical references. I found the information while thumbing through the book which is in a substantial pile of reading materials that I am slowly working my way through. I read this first and was glad I did. Having been fortunate enough to have lived in a Commonwealth country, many of the names and places were already familiar to me. Having an undergraduate degree in History and Politics definitely heightened my experience but any reader with a passion for these subjects as well as historical fiction, will appreciate this read.

Pratchett has also co-written with Neil Gaiman, another of my authorial crushes, so I have added their book to my Nook reading list. The great thing about Dodger, is that it is one of those books that you promise yourself you will just read one more chapter - a promise you make over and over again until you find out that it's 5am and you haven't been to sleep yet! A fair warning for those who need to get up for work - you may want to start this book on a Friday night and indulge in an all night reading orgy. Book lovers know what I am talking about.

There are a ton of literary allusions and cultural allusions that the reader will enjoy identifying. To that end, the book provides a wonderful treasure hunt for book lovers. There is nothing more fun than finding the books within the book.

At 354 pages its a short read but I am a new fan and see that Terry Pratchett has a substantial body of work for me to dip into. A whole new addiction to feed.

ozzieslim | Dec 28, 2014 |

Pratchett, TerryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

To Henry Mayhew for writing his book,
and to Lyn for absolutely
everything else.
The rain poured down on London so hard that it seemed it was dancing spray, every raindrop contending with its fellow for supremacy in the air and waiting to splash down.

"In an alternative version of Victorian London, a seventeen-year-old Dodger, a cunning and cheeky street urchin, unexpectedly rises in life when he saves a mysterious girl, meets Charles Dickens, and unintentionally puts a stop to the murders of Sweeny Todd"--… (more)

149 wanted4 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,196,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible