Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:library book

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

English (103)  German (1)  All (104)
Fantastic book by the late Sir Terry Pratchett (RIP) about Dodger (of Oliver Twist fame) and Fagin (redeemed from Dickens' antisemitic portrayal into a wise and clever philosopher). Highly recommended. ( )
  Mialro | May 24, 2017 |
This historical novel set in London during the early part of Queen Victoria's reign was marvelously fun. It begins in a storm (it was, in fact, a dark and stormy night), during which Dodger sees some men beating and apparently kidnapping a young woman; he saves her, and spends the rest of the book on various related adventures.

Dodger is a tosher - someone who scavenges for coins and treasure in London's sewer system - and he uses his knowledge of the city in his quest to keep "Simplicity" safe and bring her enemies to justice.

Real historical characters also feature: Charles Dickens, Henry Mayhew (author of London Labour and the London Poor), Benjamin Disraeli, Joseph Bazalgette, Angela Burdett-Coutts, John Tenniel, and Queen Victoria herself. (Also, the fictional Sweeney Todd, barber of Fleet Street.)

I am officially a Terry Pratchett fan.

Quotes

"That's what we do, lad - we find value in what them above throw away, in what they don't care about. And that means people too." (Grandad to Dodger, 32)

"Young man, the games we play are lessons we learn. The assumptions we make, things we ignore, and things we change make us what we become." (Solomon to Dodger, 47)

He was pin sharp on telling one language from another but had never bothered to learn any of them. (92)

"That is the salvation and the demon of journalism, the knowledge that there is almost always a different perspective from which to see the conundrum." (Dickens to Dodger, 135)

"My answer to you would be that the truth is a fog..." (Dickens to Dodger, 136)

"There are no other sides to this question, and talking about it won't create one. I have no intention of going anywhere else." (Simplicity, 167)

"That is because...the government mostly thinks about all the people - they are not very good at individuals." (Solomon to Dodger, 202)

"People are what they do, and what they leave behind." (Solomon to Dodger, 205)

"Responsibilities are the anvil on which a man is forged." (Solomon to Dodger, 206)

"My mother always said that kindness was love in disguise." (Simplicity to Dodger, 229)

...he knew that she would do anything for him. But knowing that, he also knew he shouldn't ask for too much. (267) ( )
  JennyArch | May 8, 2017 |
Fun historical fiction - the authors calls it fantasy - that really immerses the reader in the time period, but some parts dragged a little too long. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jan 10, 2017 |
Stellar alt-history from Mr P. A little Dickens, a little Sweeney and a LOT of Mr. P's trademark sly/wry humor. Well done and made me go to look up the history of drainage in London. And isn't that somehow what he wanted us to do, anyway. Well-played, sir; well-played. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
Reread August 2016. Still wonderful.

Like most of Pratchett's books, this one is highly enjoyable. It's a tale of Victorian London, in which a young man, Dodger, rescues a damsel in distress and comes to the attention of a journalist, Charles Dickens. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Henry Mayhew for writing his book,
and to Lyn for absolutely
everything else.
The rain poured down on London so hard that it seemed it was dancing spray, every raindrop contending with its fellow for supremacy in the air and waiting to splash down.
He had been most interested to discover that the Froggies had drains too, pretty good ones, which you would have expected from Froggies, and so he jigged and dodged and ran on to the safe house he had sorted out last night, and he was having the time of his life. - Chapter 16

"In an alternative version of Victorian London, a seventeen-year-old Dodger, a cunning and cheeky street urchin, unexpectedly rises in life when he saves a mysterious girl, meets Charles Dickens, and unintentionally puts a stop to the murders of Sweeny Todd"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible