Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:library book

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Recently added byElenfil2, quietcore, Elenfil, davidgn, spartan, Lolanta, leahbird, friendlyturtlefoot, private library

Description: Beloved and bestselling author Sir Terry Pratchett's Dodger, a Printz Honor Book, combines high comedy with deep wisdom in a tale of one remarkable boy's rise in a fantasy-infused Victorian London.

Seventeen-year-old Dodger is content as a sewer scavenger. But he enters a new world when he rescues a young girl from a beating, and her fate impacts some of the most powerful people in England.

From Dodger's encounter with the mad barber Sweeney Todd, to his meetings with the great writer Charles Dickens and the calculating politician Benjamin Disraeli, history and fantasy intertwine in a breathtaking account of adventure and mystery.

Thoughts: I picked this audiobook up free from Audiobook SYNC this summer, mostly because it was Terry Pratchett but also because it reminded me a little of [Sacre Bleu] by Christopher Moore (historical fiction comedy mucking about with famous painters).

I quite enjoyed this book for the most part. The characters are great, the writing is very good, the exploration of old London very interesting. The only disappointment is the conclusion of the mystery that is supposedly driving the story. Yes, Dodger figures out how to save Simplicity-turned-Serendipity from being returned to her scoundrel of a husband, and everyone in the story seems to have pieced together exactly WHO that scoundrel is, but the reader is never explicitly told. It seems like he's a prince of "one of the Germanies," important enough that they have an embassy, but that's all we know and then that part of the story is dropped. I really wanted a confrontation, or a fuller explanation at the very least. Without that, the ending felt too pat and convenient.

Rating: 3.75
Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4.5
Writing: 3.5
Audio: 4

http://www.librarything.com/topic/194128#5256310 ( )
  leahbird | Aug 28, 2015 |
I just love Terry Pratchett. It took me some time to get started on this one, but I'm so very glad that I did. What a hoot! It is a joy to visit Terry Pratchett's world. I'm very sorry that he is gone. ( )
  njcur | Jul 7, 2015 |
Stephen Briggs' wonderful narration brought this young adult novel up to a 4 star rating. While I was pleasantly surprised to find Pratchett's Dodger a separate character from the Dickens one in Oliver Twist, the story as a whole I found less successful than his Discworld books. Maybe people who haven't read the original Dickens would like this better... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 15, 2015 |
Fun audio book set in England during the time of Charles Dickens and Disraeli. Reminds you of reading Dickens and also of Les Miserables because of the Paris sewers. ( )
  Kristelh | Jun 1, 2015 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

To Henry Mayhew for writing his book,
and to Lyn for absolutely
everything else.
The rain poured down on London so hard that it seemed it was dancing spray, every raindrop contending with its fellow for supremacy in the air and waiting to splash down.

"In an alternative version of Victorian London, a seventeen-year-old Dodger, a cunning and cheeky street urchin, unexpectedly rises in life when he saves a mysterious girl, meets Charles Dickens, and unintentionally puts a stop to the murders of Sweeny Todd"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,160,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible