Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Member:mvuijlst
Title:Dodger
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Doubleday Childrens (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages

Dodger by Terry Pratchett (Author)

This story follows a boy named Dodger who survives in London as a tosher, searching for lost valuables or coinage in the depths of the sewers. On a dark, rainy night, he happenstances upon two men beating a girl with beautiful blonde hair and he rescues her. Dodger then bulls through the rest of the story becoming a hero in down-to-earth and witty scenes and dialogue, all the while attempting to save the girl's life again.

I liked this book, I really did. But it wasn't amazing.
I liked it for the characters. Dodger and Simplicity are so wonderfully written, especially with his mannerisms and attitude and thinking (as it is mostly third person limited, but sometimes strays into third person omniscient). The setting is so Dickens-esque and quite beautiful to read. It is a really lovely story.

It wasn't amazing because midway through the story I realized it became more about spotting the references and allusions rather than the story, and that was annoying. While it was fun at first, almost every new character of scene alluded to past literature or a real person. All of that crammed into this story actually detracted from the story's strength and made it drag on. It also wasn't amazing because I felt as if I knew how it would end. In the middle it became a matter of getting through the pages and words to see the happy ending - there were no twists or tricks. Just scene after scene of allusions and references. While this isn't necessarily bad, because it is quite fun to find them and Pratchett makes things so witty, there are just too many.

I don't know if I would read it again, but I always appreciate Terry Pratchett's writing. Three stars because I enjoyed it and it was more than just okay - definitely not more because it dragged in the middle. Recommended for anyone who already reads Pratchett (of course) and people who like Dickens and London in that era. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

I liked this book, I really did. But it wasn't amazing.

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
: / ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
I found this a struggle at first but started to enjoy it about a third of the way in. I always have mixed reactions to Terry Pratchett. When he is good, he is very, very good but when he's not bad exactly but just average, he is just average. And this for me was an average. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 22, 2014 |
Set in Victorian London, Dodger is a wonderful historical novel centered around a Dickensonian character named Dodger. Making his living as a "tosher", he rummages in the sewers for loose change or pieces of jewelry that have fallen through the grates. While on a search one night he hears a woman's scream and emerges from below in time to save her by beating off two attackers. Also attracted to the scene are Charles (Charlie) Dickens and Henry Mayhew. They assist Dodger in moving the girl to a safer locale and thus begins a wonderful story.

Pratchett incorporates many historical figures in this story and the afterword explains who they are so the reader can distinguish them from the fictional characters. As well as the two already mentioned, Benjamin Disraeli and even Queen Victoria make appearances.

Written in the style of Dickens, Pratchett serves up humor and word play appropriate to the time period. The reader is completely submerged in the world and underworld of the time. Fans of Dickens' works will appreciate the sly inserts of references, like Bleak House and Oliver Twist. Pratchett has tried to remain true to the slang and other references of the time.

The audio version of the book is ably read by Stephen Briggs who naturally has the educated London accent and can turn on the Cockney accent as needed. His clipped speech took a little getting used to but eventually seemed as natural as anyone. ( )
  mamzel | Mar 24, 2014 |

Pratchett, TerryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

To Henry Mayhew for writing his book,
and to Lyn for absolutely
everything else.
The rain poured down on London so hard that it seemed it was dancing spray, every raindrop contending with its fellow for supremacy in the air and waiting to splash down.

"In an alternative version of Victorian London, a seventeen-year-old Dodger, a cunning and cheeky street urchin, unexpectedly rises in life when he saves a mysterious girl, meets Charles Dickens, and unintentionally puts a stop to the murders of Sweeny Todd"--… (more)

149 wanted4 pay7 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,800,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible