Steve Jobs : The Man Who Thought Different…

Steve Jobs : The Man Who Thought Different (edition 2012)

by Karen Blumenthal

Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different by Karen Blumenthal

Book: Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different
Author: Karen Blumenthal
Characters: Steve Jobs
Setting: San Francisco (1950’s to present day)
Theme: Ambition and process of growing up “different”
Genre: Non-fiction
Audience: ages 16 +
Curriculum: Awesome book to use if covering a section in history on historical figures. Also a great book for English curriculum or outside STAR reading. I can see this being used to see the influences of historical figures and collaborating on what makes historical figures so “different” and what made them historical? How can historical figures like the Hero’s Journey theme we see in stories?
Summary: The infamous Steve Jobs was given up for adoption at birth, dropped out of college after one semester, and at the age of twenty, created Apple in his parents' garage with his friend Steve Wozniack. Not a typical beginning for a man who would eventually change the world with his innovation and computer technology. Then came the hallmark of his genius-Apple-his exacting moderation for perfection, his counterculture life approach, and his level of taste and style that pushed all boundaries. Broken down into three sections to take the reader through Jobs’ life, we see his beginnings, the middle of his life that made him famous, ingenious. Lastly, his legacy and his exit as the best CEO of one of the top companies in the world.
Personal Response: The book is brown down into three sections that seem to categorically depict the stages of Jobs’ life. The chapters titled to share the what’s to come in those ages of his life. There is also a timeline and black and white photos of him and his family to give us a name to the faces of the people who played intricate roles in his life. ( )
  Je2nif4 | May 20, 2013 |
Characters: Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Setting: California (Apple Computer Headquarters)

Theme: Inventors, Computer Engineers, Businesspeople, Apple Computers and Inspiration

Genre: Biography-Juvenile literature

Golden quote: "His personality was reflected in the products he created. Just as the core of Apple’s philosophy, from the original Macintosh in 1984 to the iPad a generation later, was the end-to-end integration of hardware and software, so too was it the case with Steve Jobs: His passions, perfectionism, demons, desires, artistry, devilry, and obsession for control were integrally connected to his approach to business and the products that resulted."

Awards: ALSC Notable children's Book-2013

Audience: 12 year olds to adults

Summary: This biography talks about the life and legacy of the founder of Apple Computers, Steve Jobs. The books cover his childhood as an adopted child, his struggles in college. It explains how he became an inspiration and a role model even though he dropped out of college. How his Buddhist faith was very important to him as well as his friendship with Steve Wozniak. Jobs Stanford University commencement speech is highlighted making this biography an inspirational piece for everyone that reads it.

Curriculum ties: History the evolution of the Computer and how technology changes the world and they way people communicate. Students can reaserch a specific time during the time line of the evolution of the Apple computers to see the impact that they had in the business world as well as how communication became more effective with technology and the internet.

Personal response: Children and young adults will be inspired by this biography because it really makes you feel powerful after reading about the struggles that Steve Jobs lived since his childhood until his death due to cancer. I really think that children can learn a lot by reading non fiction especially about some one who is really important to the evolution of technology like Steve Jobs.
  daisycisneros | Apr 11, 2013 |
An extensive and readable biography of one of the world's biggest technology innovators. ( )
  abbylibrarian | Apr 7, 2013 |
A good balance of presenting the myth and the man. Well researched and well designed. Solid read. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
Richie’s Picks: STEVE JOBS: THE MAN WHO THOUGHT DIFFERENT: A BIOGRAPHY by Karen Blumenthal, Macmillan/Feiwel and Friends, February 2012, 320p., ISBN: 978-1-250-01445-0

“You and me burning matches, lifting latches
On our way back home”
-- Lennon/McCartney

“In every case, he was seeking something that would be easier and simpler to use because, as the original brochure said, ‘Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.’ When you first look at a problem, it seems easy because you don’t know that much about it, he said. Then ‘you get into the problem and you see it’s really complicated and you come up with all these convoluted solutions.’
“Most people stop there. But the key is to keep going, he said, until you find the ‘underlying principle of the problem and sort of come full circle with a beautiful, elegant solution that works.’ Perhaps drawing on his Zen studies, Jobs focused as intensely on what to leave out of a product as on what to put in.”

“I have a different appreciation for this phone now,” my wife said this morning, gazing down at the iPhone in her hand. We’ve spent the past two days taking turns, gulping down chapters of Karen Blumenthal’s addictive biography for young people about, arguably, the most significant entrepreneur of our generation and maybe even of the past hundred years. There are certainly those who accumulated more money. But none approaches how culturally significant the late Steve Jobs has been throughout my adult life.

“’Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.’”

This is one of the most inspirational biographies that I have ever read. The author utilizes a commencement address delivered by Jobs in 2005 at Stanford (a stone’s throw from where Jobs grew up and lived as an adult) as the framework for the story of the guy whose imagination and savvy were responsible for so many of the tech toys so many of us routinely use every day.

“’The journey is the reward,’ he said. ‘It’s not just the accomplishment of something incredible. It’s the actual doing of something incredible, day in and day out, getting the chance to participate in something really incredible.’”

It is particularly fun for me, having been born eight days after Steve Jobs, to read about where his mind and heart were at different points in his life and compare them to my own experiences – both as an adolescent and as an adult (or, as was sometimes the case for each of us, as we pretended to be adults). I enjoy the fact that he followed, as I do, a vegan diet. I really appreciate the author’s presenting his many shortcomings and flaws, not just his triumphs.

“Job’s decision to quit college and drop in on a calligraphy class led to a new use for the personal computer that would be copied by others.
“He couldn’t have envisioned all that when he was just seventeen. That revelation, that experience, taught him a valuable lesson, he told the Stanford graduates. Because we can’t see what’s ahead, ‘you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.’”

If you look through the shelves of a typical library’s children’s or young adult biography section, there are a relatively small percentage of books about entrepreneurs. Karen Blumenthal’s experiences in writing about business and tech for the Wall Street Journal have served her so well here, as she is able to talk business in detail and still keep us fully engaged in the story.

Steve Jobs and I grew up reading about the exploits of the Wright Brothers and Henry Ford. Thanks to Karen Blumenthal, my grandchildren will, in the same way, grow up reading about Steve Jobs.

Richie Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middle_school_lit/ http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php ( )
  richiespicks | Nov 3, 2012 |
“On a warm June day in 2005, Steve Jobs went to his first college graduation—as the commencement speaker.” In his brief address to the Stanford graduates, Jobs shared three personal stories from his life, and Blumenthal uses these stories as a template for his biography. Jobs co-founded Apple, becoming a pioneer of the personal computer industry, but a mid-career renaissance also saw him leave an indelible mark on three additional fields: movies (Pixar), music (iPod), and cell phones (iPhone). His remarkable business acumen was not without some notable failures, however, and Blumenthal notes that these were matched by quirks (not to mention shortcomings) in his personal life. Even as he led Apple to ever-greater heights, Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, finally succumbing to the disease late in 2011 at age fifty-six. Blumenthal’s journalistic style suits the subject, and she uses the words of Jobs and his closest associates to paint an engaging and intimate portrait. Few biographies for young readers feel as relevant and current as this one does. Black-and-white photographs are interspersed throughout the narrative, and some interesting tangents are unobtrusively placed in sidebars. Source notes, a bibliography, a glossary, and an index are appended.
added by Ms.Resler | editHorn Book Guide Review

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 125001445X, Paperback)

"Your time is limited. . . . have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."--Steve Jobs

Critically acclaimed author Karen Blumenthal takes us to the core of this complicated and legendary man while simultaneously exploring the evolution of computers. Framed by Jobs' inspirational Stanford commencement speech and illustrated throughout with black and white photos, this is the story of the man who changed our world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:40 -0400)

"From the start, his path was never predictable. Steve Jobs was given up for adoption at birth, dropped out of college after one semester, and at the age of twenty, created Apple in his parents' garage with his friend Steve Wozniack. Then came the core and hallmark of his genius--his exacting moderation for perfection, his counterculture life approach, and his level of taste and style that pushed all boundaries. A devoted husband, father, and Buddhist, he battled cancer for over a decade, became the ultimate CEO, and made the world want every product he touched."--Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible