The Book of Souls (The Inspector McLean…

The Book of Souls (The Inspector McLean Mysteries) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by James Oswald

Title:The Book of Souls (The Inspector McLean Mysteries)
Authors:James Oswald
Info:DevilDog Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 365 pages
Tags:Supernatural, police thriller

Natural Causes by James Oswald (2012)

Recently added bySupriyaMK, catiew, CaitM, private library, Angela.Me, coku, aveys

Come thriller è molto lento e a parte gli omicidi sanguinosi non c'è suspance. Come horror non ci siamo per niente, una piccola idea peraltro già vista e rivista. ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
There were some things that bothered me a bit: the detective almost never slept - understandable, given all the was going on, but he never appeared to be impaired by it; he was so very connected to everyone involved...while this was explained in some ways, it made several of his discoveries seem to be more coincidental than otherwise; finally, the supernatural influences didn't feel like a good fit. I love a fantasy/mystery - Ben Aaronovitch's books are wonderful - but the two aspects didn't fully mesh for me in this book. But...I couldn't put it down! I'm wondering if that feeling of disconnect will go away as he writes more. Or perhaps it's just his style, and I need to adapt. Either way, I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  4hounds | Sep 21, 2014 |
This is the first in the series of Inspector Mclean books.
Set in Edinburgh he is tasked with investigating the death of a young girl whose mummified remains are discovered after 60 years.
Mclean and his team get to work then more bodies start turning up these are old men who may be linked to the girls death.

This book is set at a really good pace very enjoyable but without spoiling the story I was disappointed with the ending.
Apart from that I still look forward to reading the next book in this series. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Apr 1, 2014 |
At times I struggled with this novel which seemed rather disjointed, though the plot was sufficiently compelling for me to persevere through to the end (which is quite a tribute in itself these days as I have become increasingly ruthless about ditching books recently).

I found it rather chaotic, and it seemed too heavily reliant upon detective story cliches with Inspector McLean (the principal character) enduring a difficult relationship with his immediate but incompetent superior (Chief Inspector Duguid, known to one and all as "Dagwood"). McLean is, almost predictably, rather a maverick. In this particular instance his difference from the pack derives from the relative affluence of his upbringing - orphaned at four he was raised by his indomitable and wealthy grandmother.

The plot is definitely incoherent and fanciful. The novel opens with the discovery of the murder of a wealthy Edinburgh luminary who had contacts at the highest level of society and officialdom. Almost immediately afterwards builders converting an old property in Edinburgh uncover a corpse in a hidden room, with six of its body parts concealed in recesses in the wall, along with inscriptions. Closer analysis shows that the murder probably took place about sixty years ago. Then there is another murder in the ranks of Edinburgh's higher society, and McLean, who has been "relegated" to investigating the old case, spots links between the historic murder and the current series of killings.

McLean's grandmother has been comatose for almost eighteen months following a severe stroke, and suddenly dies. This brings McLean into contact with Jonas Carstairs, her solicitor, who is, himself, promptly murdered in a style reminiscent of the earlier two killings.

I found the basic plot intriguing, though perhaps on the verges of becoming too fanciful for my prosaic tastes, but the book is drawn out unnecessarily and there are too many needless complications. I also found the characters rather poorly drawn and felt absolutely no empathy with McLean.

I did persevere through to the end, and found some of the story enjoyable, but I doubt that i shall trouble to read any subsequent novels in the series. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Nov 28, 2013 |
I thought this was a great first book in a series to come (number 2 already published and number 3 on the way). The character of DI McLean is developed well and you are introduced to a host of others, Grumpy Bob, DCI Duguid, DC MacBride and the pathologist Angus Cadwallader, to name just a few.

There were a lot of dead bodies popping up in this book. But that helped both to develop the back story of DI McLean as well as the main plot line along with the supernatural element of the book. I'm looking forward to reading the second in the series. I assume the personal Tony McLean story will continue, not least to develop how he manages his inheritance and presumably continues his police career. But also to see how the author continues the supernatural theme in a new storyline. I hope the series continues to be as good as the first! ( )
  Elainedav | Nov 16, 2013 |
To my parents, David and Juliet. I wish you were here to share in this.
He shouldn't have stopped.

A young girl's mutilated body is discovered in a sealed room. Her remains are carefully arranged, in what seems to have been a cruel and macabre ritual, which appears to have taken place over 60 years ago. For Detective Inspector Tony McLean this baffling cold case ought to be a low priority, but he is haunted by the young victim.… (more)

James Oswald is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,960,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible