The Panther (John Corey) by Nelson DeMille

The Panther (John Corey) (edition 2012)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:bookcoll
Title:The Panther (John Corey)
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 640 pages, $27.99
Tags:thriller

The Panther by Nelson DeMille

I love Nelson DeMille's writing. This is only the 2nd novel that I've read with character John Corey. I previously read Night Fall, John Corey, #3. I'm sure that the character of John Corey does not appeal to everyone due to his particular brand of wit but he makes me smile and I enjoy his comments in conversation with other characters, especially some of the dialogue with his wife/partner Kate, and those he just shares with the reader.

Without a doubt, this novel's storyline could be carved from our current headlines. In the category of spy/espionage thriller however, I think I'd rather read a novel by Jason Matthews (e.g. Red Sparrow, Dominika Egorova & Nathaniel Nash, #1). ( )
  Corduroy7 | Jul 20, 2015 |
The Panther by Nelson DeMille
600+ pages, but I have read the author's other works and know it will be worth it.
Kate Mayfield and husband John Corey have agreed to an assignment in Yemen. They are to work with a small team to investigate The Cole bombing, they are out for the mastermind behind it all.
Liked hearing of how John accumulates the background on where he's going and what to expect with the travel and restrictions. They are not given much to go on when they arrive.
Chapters also from the panther's side of the story and what he achieves for his country.
Interesting following the story and the capture and how he can perceive danger and seek out other routes to take. They have become the hunted rather than hunting for the panther.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device)also purchased a hardbound copy. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 16, 2015 |
A little drawn out in parts. Not as fast paced as I would have expected. ( )
  wanderland | Mar 16, 2015 |
It was ok if a bit longer than needed. The story of the hunt for an Al Qaeda terrorist in Yeman; the "Panther", an American citizen of Yemani extract supposedly responsible for the attack on the USS Cole. The search and the plotting were followed step-by-step -- was this needed? I was put off by the constant wisecracking of the protagonist, John Corey, but the back story of Yemani politics and culture was interesting. The plot line involving the CIA was a bit too much, but no spoilers here. As you'd expect there was a lot of violence in the book. I hadn't read any previous books in the John Corey series, but the lead-up to this story was made clear as the plot unfolded.

A good beach read, but doubt that I'll read anything else by DeMille ( )
  stevesmits | Jun 24, 2014 |
Another in the series about John Corey, former NYPD detective, current member of the federal Anti-Terrorism Task Force, and all-around smart ass. This time around, Corey and his FBI agent wife Kate are in Yemen, part of a mission to track down The Panther, an American citizen who became radicalized and returned to his parents' birthplace, Yemen, and joined Al Qaeda. The Panther is believed to be responsible for numerous terrorist attacks, including the bombing of the USS Cole, which killed 17 American sailors.

Along the way, the Coreys have to cope with the possibility that the CIA spook who is leading their covert operation may also be planning to kill them for something Kate did in a previous book. The plot of this one seemed tighter and more plausible than some of the earlier books, and should have earned it 4 stars. In the end, I downgraded the book for its incessant anti-PC attitudes and generally pedestrian writing. If only DeMille could write as well as he can plot... ( )
  rosalita | Jan 31, 2014 |

Nelson DeMilleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent John Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield have been posted overseas to Sana'a, Yemen - one of the most dangerous places in the Middle East. While there, they will be working with a small team to track down one of the masterminds behind the USS Cole bombing: a high-ranking Al Qaeda operative known as The Panther. Ruthless and elusive, he's wanted for multiple terrorist acts and murders - and the US government is determined to bring him down, no matter the cost. As latecomers to a treacherous game, John and Kate don't know the rules, the players, or the score. What they do know is that there is more to their assignment than meets the eye-and that the hunters are about to become the hunted.

Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent John Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, have been posted overseas to Sana'a, Yemen-one of the most dangerous places in the Middle East. While there, they will be working with a small team to track down one of the masterminds behind the USS Cole bombing: a high-ranking Al Qaeda operative known as The Panther. Ruthless and elusive, he's wanted for multiple terrorist acts and murders-and the U.S. government is determined to bring him down, no matter the cost. As latecomers to a deadly game, John and Kate don't know the rules, the players, or the score. What they do know is that there is more to their assignment than meets the eye-and that the hunters are about to become the hunted.

Filled with breathtaking plot turns and told in John Corey's inimitable voice, THE PANTHER is a brilliant depiction of one of the most treacherous countries in the world and raises disturbing questions about whether we can ever know who our enemies - or our allies - really are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

Anti-terrorist task force agent John Corey and his FBI agent wife, Kate Mayfield, search for the mastermind behind the bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,465,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible