The Panther (John Corey) by Nelson DeMille

The Panther (John Corey) (edition 2012)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:bookcoll
Title:The Panther (John Corey)
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 640 pages, $27.99
Tags:thriller

The Panther by Nelson DeMille

A serious book dealing with a serious subject that makes you smile and laugh out loud often. Without a doubt, the best ever from DeMille who has created a very competent smart ass detective, who along with his FBI lawyer wife enter into a middle east adventure that will grab you and not let go. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would have liked it to go on for twice its 620 pages ( )
  brucemmoyer | Apr 29, 2016 |
There is a lot of hate here for The Panther. However, I found that it was a nice bounce back for DeMille. I wasn't a big fan of The Lion. The Panther rang true for me and I'll read his next novel. Probably, a 3.5, but I'll round it up to a 4. ( )
  VungTauMantis | Jan 24, 2016 |
John Conroy is one of my all time favorite characters! What a wit! ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
At 21.5 hours, this is a long book. John Corey and his wife, Kate go to Yemen to find the perpetrator of the Cole bombing and "whack" him. The book really drags in the middle and the characters don't develop well....i.e. the bedouin is just that, no personality, just a mass of people. Were I not trapped on an airplane, I would have put it down. John Corey is predictably obnoxious and inappropriate -- so much that it gets really old. In it's favor, there's a side plot where the CIA is trying to "whack" John. But, in the last 30 minutes, the book ends, predictably, mano y mano. ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 9, 2015 |
I love Nelson DeMille's writing. This is only the 2nd novel that I've read with character John Corey. I previously read Night Fall, John Corey, #3. I'm sure that the character of John Corey does not appeal to everyone due to his particular brand of wit but he makes me smile and I enjoy his comments in conversation with other characters, especially some of the dialogue with his wife/partner Kate, and those he just shares with the reader.

Without a doubt, this novel's storyline could be carved from our current headlines. In the category of spy/espionage thriller however, I think I'd rather read a novel by Jason Matthews (e.g. Red Sparrow, Dominika Egorova & Nathaniel Nash, #1). ( )
  Corduroy7 | Jul 20, 2015 |

Nelson DeMilleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent John Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield have been posted overseas to Sana'a, Yemen - one of the most dangerous places in the Middle East. While there, they will be working with a small team to track down one of the masterminds behind the USS Cole bombing: a high-ranking Al Qaeda operative known as The Panther. Ruthless and elusive, he's wanted for multiple terrorist acts and murders - and the US government is determined to bring him down, no matter the cost. As latecomers to a treacherous game, John and Kate don't know the rules, the players, or the score. What they do know is that there is more to their assignment than meets the eye-and that the hunters are about to become the hunted.

Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent John Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, have been posted overseas to Sana'a, Yemen-one of the most dangerous places in the Middle East. While there, they will be working with a small team to track down one of the masterminds behind the USS Cole bombing: a high-ranking Al Qaeda operative known as The Panther. Ruthless and elusive, he's wanted for multiple terrorist acts and murders-and the U.S. government is determined to bring him down, no matter the cost. As latecomers to a deadly game, John and Kate don't know the rules, the players, or the score. What they do know is that there is more to their assignment than meets the eye-and that the hunters are about to become the hunted.

Filled with breathtaking plot turns and told in John Corey's inimitable voice, THE PANTHER is a brilliant depiction of one of the most treacherous countries in the world and raises disturbing questions about whether we can ever know who our enemies - or our allies - really are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

Anti-terrorist task force agent John Corey and his FBI agent wife, Kate Mayfield, search for the mastermind behind the bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,901,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible