The Panther (John Corey) by Nelson DeMille

The Panther (John Corey) (edition 2012)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:everfresh1
Title:The Panther (John Corey)
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 640 pages
Collections:Authors to follow, Fiction, Thrillers
Rating:****1/2

The Panther by Nelson DeMille

Another in the series about John Corey, former NYPD detective, current member of the federal Anti-Terrorism Task Force, and all-around smart ass. This time around, Corey and his FBI agent wife Kate are in Yemen, part of a mission to track down The Panther, an American citizen who became radicalized and returned to his parents' birthplace, Yemen, and joined Al Qaeda. The Panther is believed to be responsible for numerous terrorist attacks, including the bombing of the USS Cole, which killed 17 American sailors.

Along the way, the Coreys have to cope with the possibility that the CIA spook who is leading their covert operation may also be planning to kill them for something Kate did in a previous book. The plot of this one seemed tighter and more plausible than some of the earlier books, and should have earned it 4 stars. In the end, I downgraded the book for its incessant anti-PC attitudes and generally pedestrian writing. If only DeMille could write as well as he can plot... ( )
  rosalita | Jan 31, 2014 |
Decent but a little drawn out and predictable tho I always love john corey ( )
  afarrington | Dec 22, 2013 |
Entertaining thriller, but not among DeMille's best especially as compared to "The Lion" or even the "Lion's Game". "The Panther" drags for much of the middle of the book, and there is not enough development for some of the characters. ( )
  starkravingmad | Dec 15, 2013 |
I was going to write that this is my least favorite DeMille book but considering I have loved many of his books including By the Rivers of Babylon, Cathedral and Charm School, I did not think that was sufficient. This is just not a very good book. It has almost no action or character development. Instead, it is filled with too many sarcastic remarks, random quips and jokes that fall flat. The exposition is long, repetitive and frequently too detailed for the story.

If you are interested in reading a quality DeMille story, pick up something else. ( )
  ajwseven | Aug 19, 2013 |
“The Panther” by Nelson DeMille was not one of my favorite novels. I get John Cory’s character which is irreverent and challenging, and yet for me it was very distracting in the flow of this story. If I were Kate I would want to be on a mission or assignment with John, but would definitely not want him to be my life partner. I did enjoy the information that I gathered about Yemen; however, I found that there was too much chatter and not enough action. I give this book a 2.5 star rating. ( )
1 vote WeeziesBooks | Jun 26, 2013 |

Nelson DeMilleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent John Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield have been posted overseas to Sana'a, Yemen - one of the most dangerous places in the Middle East. While there, they will be working with a small team to track down one of the masterminds behind the USS Cole bombing: a high-ranking Al Qaeda operative known as The Panther. Ruthless and elusive, he's wanted for multiple terrorist acts and murders - and the US government is determined to bring him down, no matter the cost. As latecomers to a treacherous game, John and Kate don't know the rules, the players, or the score. What they do know is that there is more to their assignment than meets the eye-and that the hunters are about to become the hunted.

Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent John Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, have been posted overseas to Sana'a, Yemen-one of the most dangerous places in the Middle East. While there, they will be working with a small team to track down one of the masterminds behind the USS Cole bombing: a high-ranking Al Qaeda operative known as The Panther. Ruthless and elusive, he's wanted for multiple terrorist acts and murders-and the U.S. government is determined to bring him down, no matter the cost. As latecomers to a deadly game, John and Kate don't know the rules, the players, or the score. What they do know is that there is more to their assignment than meets the eye-and that the hunters are about to become the hunted.

Filled with breathtaking plot turns and told in John Corey's inimitable voice, THE PANTHER is a brilliant depiction of one of the most treacherous countries in the world and raises disturbing questions about whether we can ever know who our enemies - or our allies - really are.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:14 -0400)

Anti-terrorist task force agent John Corey and his FBI agent wife, Kate Mayfield, search for the mastermind behind the bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen.

327 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,541,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible