Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in…

Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems (edition 2012)

by J. Patrick Lewis, Michael Slack (Illustrator)

Member:NancyNoemi
Title:Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems
Authors:J. Patrick Lewis
Other authors:Michael Slack (Illustrator)
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Math

Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems by J. Patrick Lewis

This book is a collection of poems by the famous J. Patrick Lewis. All of the poems are influenced by famous poets and authors. Incorporated into these poems are math brain teasers. The math range from simpler word problems like addition and subtraction to harder one with multiplication and division.

I thought this book was great because it involved not only english and literature, but math. The illustrations were great as well. I would defiantly use this in my classroom for an intro into a math class. It could get the students thinking right off the back. It also gives the answers to each poem at the bottom of the page. ( )
  ashleyschifano | Sep 1, 2014 |
Perfect fit for the wordnerd mathlete. Nice mix of tricky and not-too-tricky problems. We worked through 3-4 a day. ( )
  beckydj | May 21, 2014 |
I've found the perfect book to marry my love of math and English. It is a pretty cool book where the author reimagines poems by famous authors and uses the new poem as a mathematical word problem. I didn't quite know how math teachers were going to use non-fiction into their own class room. I knew that word problems were going to be the route that some would take. Practicality dictates that word problems are the most logical approach to bridging the gap. But to add the twist of changing the word problem to a poem was an interesting twist I didn't see coming.The illustrations in the book are also over the top and vibrant. They really add to the excitement of blending math and English together. And to top it all off, the book has a small snippet about each poet whose poem was reimagined in the back. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
  jhuynh5 | Apr 21, 2014 |
This book is a compilation of various poems that are influenced and have been adapted from great poets in history. However, with these literary works as a foundation for these new poems, mathematical problems have been incorporated into the writing, so as to challenge and further challenge the reader to think comprehensively and critically while being entertained by rhyme and imagery.
The main strength I see with this book is its, or more so Lewis's and Slack's ability to blur the lines between subjects and to create a cross-disciplinary experience for young readers. This book is most definitely meant for an older age group, around 3rd to 5th, maybe 6th grades, being that the math problems are of a higher level. I believe the collaboration between the two artist (author and illustrator) provides a great tool and resource for children because they are able to have an enriching learning experience. The use of whimsical artwork and writing are exciting and keep the reader engaged, and inevitably, learning more and more.
  rebeccarodela | Jan 29, 2014 |
This is a good book that incorporates math equations into classic poems. Students would be learning poetry along with how to solve word problems. ( )
  TamaraSmith | Apr 25, 2013 |

J. Patrick Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Slack, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is this poetry? Math? A brainteaser? Yes! It’s all that and more. The poet J. Patrick Lewis
has reimagined classic poems—such as Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven” and Langston
Hughes’s “April Rain Song”—and added a dash of math. Between the silly parodies
and the wonderfully wacky art, kids will have so much fun figuring out the puzzles,
they won’t guess they’re learning! Answers appear unobtrusively on each page, and
engaging information about the original poets is included. Math games and concepts,
poetry and poet biographies—it’s all so cleverly put together. This funny book is a
treat for fans of words and numbers alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:14 -0400)

Borrows themes from famous poems and flips them on their head to create humorous verses and riddles in a collection of math-based problem-solving parodies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,773,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible