Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in…

Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems (edition 2012)

by J. Patrick Lewis, Michael Slack (Illustrator)

8319145,226 (4.18)1
Member:NancyNoemi
Title:Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems
Authors:J. Patrick Lewis
Other authors:Michael Slack (Illustrator)
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Math

Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems by J. Patrick Lewis

This unique collection of poems is titled after various famous poets. Not only does this collection offer math problems and solutions, it offers knowledge of other writers. This would be a great collection to use in the classroom and could be incorporated into many lessons. Under the title of each poem, we see which each one is inspired by. This was a great addition because it made me want to go even further with my reading and look up the poems that had inspired this collection. ( )
  jmistret | Feb 25, 2016 |
I love the merging of subjects in this book. This is three of my favorite things in one book; brain teasers, poetry and math. This book consists of well known poems re- imagined in to math riddles. I originally picked this book because the title, Edgar Allan Poe is my favorite writer. I was pleasantly surprise that a few of my favorite poets’ poems were used as well. The author kept the same theme and style of writing of the original poems. ( )
  TiffanyA | Feb 24, 2016 |
I was first intrigued when I saw this book because when you think about Edgar Allen Poe, math is not the first thing that comes to mind. In fact, when you think about Edgar Allen Poe children's poetry does not even come to mind. This poetry book is almost a spoof of some of the most historical iconic poetry of our lifetime. This book shows some of Poe's poems, Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes and more. Together, Patrick J. Lewis somehow combined iconic poets, math, puzzles, and brainteasers and made it into a hilarious collection of poetry. The poems are hysterical and entertaining but at the same time very educational. The math puzzles will really get children and students thinking and working without them even noticing. For the most part, these poems followed a rhythmic scheme. My favorite part about this book is that it can be used for multiple purposes. This book can be an interdisciplinary tool combining both math and poetry. Some students love reading and hate math while others students hate reading and love math; this book is great for every student. This is a book I hope to never forget because I would love to use this book in my classroom one day. ( )
  Jmreed1 | Feb 23, 2016 |
Poems that are rewrites of well known poems by renowned poets. All of the poems have to do with math and they are a problem in and of themselves. Some of the math is very hard and makes you think. But if they stump you there is an answer key on the bottom of the page.
I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  chrisriggleman | Apr 15, 2015 |
Poetry can make math fun! Especially when paired with bold, bright illustrations. This book uses classical poets and poems to set up wonderfully funny math problems.
  ThisIsNotSophie | Apr 1, 2015 |

J. Patrick Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Slack, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is this poetry? Math? A brainteaser? Yes! It’s all that and more. The poet J. Patrick Lewis
has reimagined classic poems—such as Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven” and Langston
Hughes’s “April Rain Song”—and added a dash of math. Between the silly parodies
and the wonderfully wacky art, kids will have so much fun figuring out the puzzles,
they won’t guess they’re learning! Answers appear unobtrusively on each page, and
engaging information about the original poets is included. Math games and concepts,
poetry and poet biographies—it’s all so cleverly put together. This funny book is a
treat for fans of words and numbers alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:37 -0400)

Borrows themes from famous poems and flips them on their head to create humorous verses and riddles in a collection of math-based problem-solving parodies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible