Strip Jack by Ian Rankin

Strip Jack (1992)

by Ian Rankin

Series: Inspector Rebus (4)

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
This is a consistent series and I continue to enjoy the Scottish settings. ( )
  Booktrovert | Jan 3, 2019 |
It's been years since I've read an Inspector Rebus book. Having read the first 3 books in the series, I just couldn't locate my copy of the 4th book, Strip Jack. I own far too many books (4000 ). Well, I finally found it last week. I enjoy the character of Rebus, and that the novels are not very dark or bleak, unlike many of the newer UK/European crime novels. If you haven't tried this series yet, I highly recommend that you begin with the first book, Knots and Crosses. You won't be disappointed, the series is terrific.

The good news is, that during my search for Strip Jack, I also located the next two books in the series, so I won't have to wait for years before continuing with this series!

Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
Another Inspector Rebus, and in this one there's no murder -- initially. Instead, a group of old books are stolen from a professor and a Scottish MP, Gregor Jack, is caught in a raid on a brothel. But was he set up? Soon enough, his wife, who had been missing, is killed -- she lived a life somewhat apart and loved somewhat naughty parties. The MP was part of a group of old school friends who still went by their school nicknames. The higher ups want to pin the murder on a crazy man who admitted to killing a woman similarly. There are several complications, but Rebus eventually solves the mystery (as we knew he would).
  rebeccanyc | Jun 23, 2016 |
I've enjoyed Ian Rankin's Rebus series immensely. Due to the availability of his novels at the various libraries (we've moved twice in the last 4 years) we frequent, I've had to bounce around in his catalog and haven't been able to read them serially. It's interesting, in the case of Strip Jack, to return to the 'younger' Rebus and appreciate how Rankin has developed this great character over the years.

Strip Jack begins with a relatively simple raid on an Edinburgh brothel in which a locally famous politician is ensnared. Something isn't right in that the media had, we discover, been alerted to the raid and seemingly knew who they'd find. As Rebus begins to smell a rat, the politician's wife disappears and a murder investigation begins. That's the major plot- other sub-plots that may or may not be connected to the main investigation are likewise involved.

This is a fine 'whodunnit' with believable characters and a solid story line. I like Rankin's writing a lot- he's neither spare with his prose nor grandiloquent and therefore just right for this type of novel. I likewise enjoy the Edinburgh milieu a great deal. It's a somewhat gritty town but is also an academic and government center, so there's a lot going on with a wide range of character types available for the author to explore.

For any reader looking for a detective series to get into that hasn't yet read Rankin's Rebus series, I highly recommend it. Strip Jack is an earlier entry, but it's solid and Rankin does a great job in subsequent novels guiding his main character through the various stages of his career and personal life. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Strip Jack by Ian Rankin - very good

Ok, I definitely get it now. Really enjoyed this Rebus book, took me just over a day. Rebus is back in Edinburgh and drawn into the scandals building round a local MP - caught in a high class brothel, the question is: where is his wife?

No point going into the details, crimes are committed, Rebus gets drawn in, after some red herrings and false starts, he ties most of them up.

Perfect easy reading.

Prunsvelt, HeinoKujundaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, Osmosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlootz, EllenÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinissaar, KirstiToimetaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He knows nothing; and he thinks he knows
everything. That points clearly to a political career.
(Shaw, Major Barbara)

The habit of friendship is matured by constant intercourse.
(Libianus, 4th century AD, quoted in Edinburgh, by Charles McKean)
To the only Jack I've ever stripped
The wonder of it was that the neighbours hadn't complained, hadn't even - as many of them later told the newsmen - realized.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312965141, Mass Market Paperback)

When respected MP Gregor Jack is caught in a police raid on an Edinburgh brothel and his flamboyant wife Elizabeth suddenly disappears, John Rebus smells a set-up. And when Elizabeth's badly beaten body is found, Rebus is suddenly up against a killer who holds all the cards..

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

Inspector Rebus investigates the disappearance of a member of Parliament's wife after her husband was caught in a police raid on an Edinburgh brothel.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,417,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible