dismiss

Vote for ME! by Ben Clanton

Vote for ME!

by Ben Clanton

9725197,913 (4)None
A satire of American politics finds a donkey and an elephant resorting to just about anything to garner votes, and after all the mud-slinging is done and the votes are tallied, they are both quite surprised by the results.

Hey, you! Yes, you with the dazzling smile! The donkey wants your vote. So does the elephant. Can you imagine? Each will do just about anything to win your vote. They boast, name call, make dumb promises, exaggerate and act like ill behaved children? As the tension mounts, and these two annoying candidates resort to slinging literal mud balls and tossing insults. Suddenly, the election results are in! Our mud slinging candidates are in for a little surprise as an unknown rises to the position.

While this picture book is a timely satire of American politics, I don’t see an audience among children. Although neither elephant or donkey get what they wanted, is it okay to act as they did?

Put this one on the quirky adult satire shelf. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Feb 9, 2020 |
Funny story about an election between a donkey and an elephant!
  asthepageturns | Jun 13, 2019 |
Vote for Me by Ben Clanton is a fiction children’s book about voting. This book is written in second person format as the two main characters, Donkey and Elephant, beg the reader to vote for them in the upcoming election. Throughout the illustrations you see a mouse observing the two and their infantile attacks against one another. Little does everyone know that the mouse is actually running independently and slyly wins the election. This book is would be perfect for kindergarteners maybe early first grade because it doesn’t teach directly teach students about voting. I do like the author picks fun at elections and how ruthless they can be, but for students, I think it teaches how to treat one another even during competitive times. ( )
  agreenwald | Mar 24, 2019 |
Author/illustrator Ben Clanton explores the world of American party politics in this amusing picture-book, as Donkey and Elephant - the symbols of the Democratic and Republican Parties - square off against one another. Each one contends that they are the better candidate, and that the voter should choose them. Soon their championing of their own virtues leads to mudslinging, and pointing out their opponent's vices. Unbeknownst to them, however, a third party has gotten involved...

Simple enough for a young picture-book audience to understand - children may not know about the electoral college, but they know ALL about name-calling, after all! - but clever enough to entertain adult readers - I think we'll all recognize these behaviors - Vote for Me! is an excellent introduction to the nature of party politics and electioneering in the USA, pitfalls and all. I enjoyed the narrative, which I found quite amusing, and thought the artwork captured the humor of the story perfectly. Clanton has managed to distill some home truths about our political system here, presenting them in an entertaining way. Recommended to anyone looking for fun picture-books to explains American party politics and elections to younger children. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jan 12, 2018 |
Very good addition to a lesson plan about politics and political parties for young children. It even hints at third parties something a lot of people are still not aware of. This book made me laugh thinking about this year's race for election and I think anyone will find some funny events within the book that relate to some we seen in real life. ( )
  maturne2 | Dec 1, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ben Clanton's book Vote for Me! is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,842,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible