Strength Training Anatomy Workout, Volume…

Strength Training Anatomy Workout, Volume II, The

by Frederic Delavier

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although I wasn't as impressed with this book as with others in this series, I can recommend it. It is profusely illustrated with pictures of the exercises and diagrams showing which muscle groups are worked. The exercises are not just described: there's plenty of advice on how to adapt the exercises and how to incorporate them into a workout.
  szarka | Jul 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very well illustrated and highly informative follow up to the equally educational first book by the author Strength Training Anatomy Workout, who also wrote Strength Training Anatomy-3rd Edition and Women's Strength Training Anatomy. All three of which are must have books for the physical fitness trainer and the individual concerned with the hows and whys of how your body works during the performance of various exercises.

The illustrations are all wonderfully drawn and very detailed while the supporting text if very easy to understand and just as detailed as the illustrations. The accompanying descriptions of each exercise is very well done and the author improves upon that even more by providing variations, advantages and disadvantages, helpful hints, and in some cases even warnings concerning each exercise.

This book contains three main parts with numerous sub-headings throughout.

Part 1: Advanced Techniques To Help You Keep Progressing

Part 2: Exercises For The Main Muscle Groups

Part 3: Workout Programs

I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in physical fitness whether it is merely an individual wanting to get in shape of the physical fitness professional who wants to better educate himself for his clients.

Shawn Kovacich
Martial Artist/Krav Maga Instructor
Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's. ( )
  the-cat | Oct 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I enjoyed the pictures of the muscles being worked with various exercises, this book bothered me on a couple of levels. The first level is that the majority of the strength exercises depict mean, while most of the stretching exercises depicted women. A small and somewhat petty complaint, but this did offend my feminist sensibilities somewhat. I've just become pretty active with Crossfit and lift weights as do the majority of women in my gym so it would have been nice to see some of that reflected here. Also, many of the exercises depicted are ones that I do not do. So while this is a great book for visually seeing what muscles are worked when, it did not really help me out in the manner I was hoping it would as most of it just wasn't applicable. I think this would be an excellent group for a personal trainer to study and it would probably help people with anatomy, but for my purposes it wasn't too great. ( )
  jayble | Aug 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Strength Training Anatomy Workout II is a detailed and interesting book geared towards those with advanced and intermediate weight lifting skills as the book assumes the reader is already very familiar with weight training strategies and exercises. This is a great reference for those who have reached a plateau in their workout and/or are interested in isolating and better developing weak areas. The book is arranged in three sections. Section one discusses current understandings of muscle development and why certain training changes may or may not affect one’s progress. Section two discusses each muscle group in turn. For each muscle group, the anatomy is described and illustrated, obstacles to muscle development are discussed and numerous exercises are described and illustrated. The last section lists a variety of training programs.

I am a fan of Delavier’s books. I find they are easy to use and good references to have handy. The illustrations are terrific and the text gets right to the point. ( )
  starboard | Jun 10, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for free as part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program.

The Strength Training Anatomy Workout II is a gorgeously illustrated volume. Each of the many workouts is shown with the affected muscles highlighted, and often important variations in the position, posture, and anatomy are diagrammed as well. This book is a sequel, and as such does not contain basic workout information that is found in the first volume.

With the basics out of the way, let's talk about my impression of the book's recommendations. I think overall this book is pretty good, and the anatomy and exercises should be of interest to many strength trainers. However, I did notice some areas where opinions may differ. This book focuses first on building muscle mass, then strength. Training for hypertrophy has become a cultural default in strength training, but it is not the only option. In the discussion of free weights versus machines, some space is given to anatomical variations and how they effect form with free weights, but very little space is given to the influence of flexibility and technique in proper form. For example, in the section on squats, the ratio of torso to femur length and its influence on squat form is discussed, but it was apparent to me from the illustration that increased hip and hamstring flexibility would fix the problem.

As a CrossFitter, I am bound to have some disagreements with the methodology in this book, but overall I think it is good for what it is trying to do. ( )
  bespen | May 13, 2012 |

Go inside exercises, stretches, and workouts to see how muscles interact with surrounding joints and skeletal structures, and how variations, progressions, and sequencing can affect muscle recruitment, the underlying structures, and ultimately the results.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Strength Training Anatomy Workout, Vol. II by Frederic Delavier was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible