One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf

One Breath Away

by Heather Gudenkauf

Heather Heather Heather! You did another awesome job with your newest book. I absolutely loved the story and the way it was written.

The story is about a gunmen that goes into a school. Who is he? Why did he choose the classroom that he chose?

You will find the answer to these questions and more by the end of the book. Each chapter features a character telling the story of what is happening at the same moment in time. I just love this style of writing that Gudenkauf uses. Just as the chapter is coming to an end and you are about to learn something huge we switch characters. OOOOOOOOHHHHHH, it works so well in keeping you in suspense and on the edge of your seat.

Great book, great story telling and I highly recommend this to all.

A heartfelt thank you to Net Galley and Mira Publishing for an "advanced readers copy". This book will be released on June 19, 2012
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
I loved the structure and the pace of this book. It was difficult to put it down. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
I was excited to find another book by Heather Gudenkauf. I enjoyed this book but it wasn't as good as I though it would be.

Gudenkauf uses five characters in alternating narratives to tell the story, and that's a lot to keep track of. Kind of surprising that she didn't include the gunman - which gave us no indication of why he was doing this. The chapters were VERY short and made it a little difficult to connect with the characters. Also the characters spend a lot of time recalling their past so we don't learn much about the current situation in the school - which takes away from the tension and suspense you would expect to feel in a book about a gunman in a school.

Perhaps it was her vision to make this more a family drama rather than a drama about a gunman in a school. And in that way, it works.

I will definitely read more of her books. She's from Iowa, which is where I live, and she writes about towns and areas that I am familiar with.

sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
I continued reading this book because I was interested enough to see how it ended however I didn't really feel the suspense or the sense of relief that you hope to in a book about children being held hostage. I think this was partly due to the overwhelming number of characters introduced as well as the way the event was drawn out so much. In terms of action not a lot actually happened in the book and despite lots of information about the many characters few of them I could feel I could relate to. That said I did sympathize with Will's character and admired the teachers resilience. Overall it was an ok read. ( )
  Whitneyadela | Sep 8, 2016 |
This book was action packed from the first page. Plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing until the end. The characters were easy to relate to and the plot (a violent incident at a school) was believable and topical. Very fast, enjoyable read. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
For Alex, Anna and Grace. My three wishes.
I'm in that lovely space between consciousness and sleep.

In her most emotionally charged novel to date, New York Times bestselling author Heather Gudenkauf explores the unspoken events that shape a community, the ties between parents and their children and how the fragile normalcy of our everyday life is so easily shattered.

Officer Meg Barrett holds the responsibility for the town's children in her hands. Will Thwaite, reluctantly entrusted with the care of his two grandchildren by the daughter who left home years earlier, stands by helplessly and wonders if he has failed his child again. Trapped in her classroom, Evelyn Oliver watches for an opportunity to rescue the children in her care. And thirteen-year-old Augie Baker, already struggling with the aftermath of a terrible accident that has brought her to Broken Branch, will risk her own safety to protect her little brother.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:46 -0400)

In the midst of a sudden spring snowstorm, an unknown man armed with a gun walks into an elementary school classroom. Outside the school, the town of Broken Branch watches and waits. Officer Meg Barrett holds the responsibility for the town's children in her hands. Will Thwaite, reluctantly entrusted with the care of his two grandchildren by the daughter who left home years earlier, stands by helplessly and wonders if he has failed his child again. Trapped in her classroom, Evelyn Oliver watches for an opportunity to rescue the children in her care. And thirteen-year-old Augie Baker, already struggling with the aftermath of a terrible accident that has has brought her to Broken Branch, will risk her own safety to protect her little brother. As tension mounts with each passing minute, the hidden fears and grudges of the small town are revealed as the people of Broken Branch race to uncover the identity of the stranger who holds their children hostage.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible