The Beautiful Mystery: A Chief Inspector…

The Beautiful Mystery: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (edition 2012)

by Louise Penny

Member:joanslib
Title:The Beautiful Mystery: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny

English (112)  German (1)  French (1)  All (114)
** WARNING – SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING **

Unfortunately much of the rest of the story was completely ruined for me by the ending. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not disappointed by the author, or the writing. I happily admit that both are impressive. I’m disappointed by the character of Jean-Guy. How in the world he can do what he did is beyond me. And I don’t know how Gamache will ever be able to trust him again. Jean-Guy had an important moment, one that could have cemented his character and his loyalty to Gamache. Instead he threw it away with both hands. I don’t think I’ve ever been so disappointed with a fictional character. Gah!

And I have no idea how Louise Penny manages to write a character that makes me so angry, disappointed, and disgusted, and yet I still feel compassion for him and want him to overcome his problems and be happy.

Oh, and Francoeur has to go down – hard. I have complete faith in Gamache. He will find a way to nail this slimeball.

Doo-dah, doo-dah
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
I gave it 130 pgs. It was ok but didn't engross me. If it had been 250 pages I may have stayed with it, but 500 - I decided to read something else. ( )
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
No outsiders are admitted to a monastery in the woods near Quebec where the monks farm, make chocolate, and sing beautiful renowned ancient chants until the choir director is murdered and Inspector Gamache arrives.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 10, 2017 |
A year ago, I read Louise Penny's TRICK OF THE LIGHT, and I was taken by the depth of perception that she used to create her characters and the stories that those characters inhabit.THE BEAUTIFUL MYSTERY has that same that same rich quality.Unlike many contemporary mystery writers, Louise Penny eschews the lurid details of murder; instead, she explores the ambiguities--the "why" instead of the "how"-- of an act of violence. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauvoir of the Surete du Quebec bear a resemblance to the Wounded Hero/Questing Knight archetypes in their search for truth and justice as they try to find the killer of a renowned choir director in an obscure cloistered monastery. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
Another excellent, beautifully written Gamache mystery by Louise Penny. Ralph Cosham, the narrator of the series, once again delivers a stunning performance. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
The “beautiful mystery” of Penny’s eighth Gamache mystery refers to Gregorian chant, plainsong, and its mysterious allure and spiritual appeal even to the lay listener. Playing off the international sensation surrounding the 1994 release of recordings of the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos, The Beautiful Mystery finds Gamache and his loyal lieutenant, Inspector Jean-Guy Beauvoir, being called to a monastery to investigate the murder of a monk.

But it’s not just any monastery, and it’s not just any monk.

The mysterious Saint-Gilbert-Entre-les-Loups monastery existed in isolation for hundreds of years, two dozen monks living in the remote Quebec wilderness, accessible only by plane or boat, with a plain wooden door locked to the world. They are the last vestiges of the Gilbertines, an order of monks devoted to plainsong, who vanished during the Inquisition.

Their seclusion came to an end, however, with the release of a recording of their chants, a recording which became a sensation around the world, drawing pilgrims and the press, all of whom met with the locked door at the gate. The door opens to Gamache and Beauvoir, however, as they come to investigate the murder of Brother Mathieu, the choirmaster.

The choir of Saint-Gilbert-Entre-les-Loups became a sensation on the basis of a single recording, but that success has also created a fracture in the monastic community, “a civil war, fought with glances and small gestures,” which Gamache and Beauvoir discover early on in their investigation. That fracture makes everyone in the once close-knit community a suspect in the choirmaster’s murder.

The mystery – which is in itself compelling, and reminiscent, on the surface and unavoidably, of Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose – works as a catalyst for an ongoing series of inquiries into the nature of faith, loyalty and friendship, deepening familiar characters and developing relationships in a realistic, often painful fashion. It’s a stirring, thought- provoking read, less a matter of whodunit than a relentless questioning of why any of us do anything. The Beautiful Mystery satisfies as a mystery, and stands as a powerful literary novel in its own right, regardless of whether one has read the previous seven novels in the series.
added by VivienneR | editThe Globe & Mail, Robert J. Wiersema (Sep 7, 2012)

This book is dedicated to those who kneel down,
and those who stand up.
In the early nineteenth century, the Catholic Church realized it had a problem.

A MONASTERY
Hidden deep in the wilderness are the cloisters of two dozen monks - men of prayer and music, famous the world over for their glorious voices.

The brilliant new novel in the New York Times bestselling series by Louise Penny, one of the most acclaimed crime writers of our time

No outsiders are ever admitted to the monastery of Saint-Gilbert-Entre-les-Loups, hidden deep in the wilderness of Quebec, where two dozen cloistered monks live in peace and prayer. They grow vegetables, they tend chickens, they make chocolate. And they sing. Ironically, for a community that has taken a vow of silence, the monks have become world-famous for their glorious voices, raised in ancient chants whose effect on both singer and listener is so profound it is known as “the beautiful mystery.”

But when the renowned choir director is murdered, the lock on the monastery’s massive wooden door is drawn back to admit Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauvoir of the Sûreté du Québec. There they discover disquiet beneath the silence, discord in the apparent harmony. One of the brothers, in this life of  prayer and contemplation, has been contemplating murder. As the peace of the monastery crumbles, Gamache is forced to confront some of his own demons, as well as those roaming the remote corridors. Before finding the killer, before restoring peace, the Chief must first consider the divine, the human, and the cracks in between.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

When a peaceful monastery in Quebec is shattered by the murder of their renowned choir director, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauvoir of the Saurete du Quebec are challenged to find the killer in a cloistered community that has taken a vow of silence.… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,189,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible