Northlight by Deborah Wheeler

Northlight

by Deborah Wheeler

Jaydium by Deborah Wheeler (e.leo)
    e.leo: This is Deborah's second solo novel and continues in the writing tradition of Jaydium, even better. One of my all time favourite books.

English (28)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (30)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bleah. Most of the time I couldn't figure out what was going on - then it settled into cliche. Long first section with one protagonist - female, tough, wounded - then sudden jump to a completely different protagonist - male, helpless. The only thing they had in common - well, besides location - was poor self-esteem. Then they _finally_ encountered one another, and the story promptly succumbed to Trinity Syndrome - the female's entire purpose there was to foster and educate the male so that he could become a god-hero and solve all the problems. Slightly subverted when he didn't/couldn't solve them immediately - politics and attitudes got in the way, he's still the next generation not today's solution. But Kardith is still only an adjunct to him. At least she didn't get married off at the end of the book. I like Deborah Ross's work, so I'm looking for things to like about this book, but not finding many. An Early Reviewers book that I took far too long to read and review. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't able to finish this ebook as I couldn't get past the bad horsemanship in the beginning. It was stated that horsemanship was something they were good at and yet there numerous examples where this was disproved in the first chapter. I also found the cover with the horse on to be very misleading. ( )
  kksnaffle | May 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
really good reads.Is a strange story, with well definied characters and a rithm that puts you sustainedly in suspense.You keep astonishing yourself at every page.Really interesting and with a high lyric .In some parts seems almost poetry.I enjoy it really much ( )
  realalondra45 | Jun 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Don't let the cheap-looking cover fool you, this is a really good and enjoyable story. It's also not a horsey book, even though the cover suggests that as well. There are horses in it though, and they're written exceptionally well and realistically. This could almost be a companion book to Judith Tarr's "Writing Horses".

In "Northlight" you will meet complex and memorable characters and an intriguing world that will leave you wanting to learn more about it. I found myself highlighting a lot of quotes from the characters, ranging from wise to funny. The ending is both satisfying and realistic, the protagonists have gone through a difficult journey and not everything can be fixed. I look forward to discovering other stories by the same author. ( )
  nerwende | Feb 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was unable to finnish this book. I didn't manage to find out who the "I" person was as it changed from chapter to chapter. Too much rereading to get a story that made sense.
  LunaticDruid | Jan 30, 2012 |

Deborah Wheelerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Podevin, Jean-FrançoisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Under its idyllic surface, uneasy forces stir in the land of Laurea, rumors of war with the savage north and the assassination of a beloved leader. Kardith, knife fighter and Ranger, joins forces with young scholar Terricel to discover a deadly conspiracy. To find a way through old hatreds and new tyrants, they must each confront and heal the past - Kardith must make her peace with the personal horror she has buried deep within her soul, while Terricel discovers a terrible, ancient secret which threatens not only Laurea, but the entire world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Deborah Wheeler's book International Kittens of Mystery is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Deborah Wheeler's book Northlight was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible