Alle meine Wünsche by Grégoire Delacourt

Alle meine Wünsche (edition 2012)

by Grégoire Delacourt, Claudia Steinitz (Übersetzer)

2092255,966 (3.54)10
Member:Wassilissa
Title:Alle meine Wünsche
Authors:Grégoire Delacourt
Other authors:Claudia Steinitz (Übersetzer)
Info:Hoffmann und Campe (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 126 Seiten
Collections:2013, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Januar 2013

La liste de mes envies by Grégoire Delacourt

English (8)  French (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (22)
Does money cut distances short, bring people together?"

This was such a quaint, bittersweet novella that made me dive headfirst into my own desires, dreams, and shortcomings. I haven’t focused this much on my character in some time, and by the last page, I had more questions about myself than I did about the protagonist, Jocelyne. I completely related to her, but it was a little unsettling.

Do you have a list of things you would treat yourself to if you won the lottery? A dream car, a new life in a faraway paradise, a closet full of Louboutin heels (a personal wish of mine, tee hee)? Jocelyne has a pretty ordinary life in a provincial French village where she runs a fabric shop. As she would describe it:

“Jo [her husband] and I are happy, I say, my voice unsteady. We’ve had our ups and downs like all couples, but we’ve managed to get over the bad times. We have two lovely children, a pretty little house, friends, we go on holiday twice a year. The shop is doing very well…”

She has never really doubted that her life could be any different from what she imagined for herself as a young girl. Though unlucky in many areas of her life, a one in seventy-six million chance happens to her and she wins the lottery. Overnight, her fears and dreams inhabit her waking and sleeping thoughts. Is it okay to want more for yourself? Will money ruin whatever happiness you have now, however ordinary it may seem? Can money buy you a new, happier life? Most importantly, what will she do with her winnings? A great read! I’m so glad it was translated from French, and I can see why it’s been an international hit since its publication.

Another thing I love in books are allusions to other works of literature. Throughout this book, Delacourt referred to Albert Cohen’s French tome Belle de Seigneur, which is a favorite of Jocelyne’s, and whose characters are repeatedly mirrored in her thoughts to people she knows. I read a classic tome once a year, and I still haven’t decided which to read this year. After finishing My Wish List, Belle du Seigneur is definitely in the running! ( )
  dreamydress48 | May 31, 2015 |
Lovely little story. Don't buy lottery tickets. ( )
  picardyrose | Feb 2, 2015 |
Jocelyn lives in a small town in France, neither happy nor unhappy with her life. She lives a life half in the past and half in the present, afraid to think about the future until she one day wins the jackpot lottery of 18 million euros. Then, she faces the tough decisions of what to do with her life now that the possibilities are endless.

Read more at: http://thenovelworld.com/2014/06/06/my-wish-list-by-gregoire-delacourt/ ( )
  TheNovelWorld | Sep 5, 2014 |
I choose this short novel to listen to during the Readathon last weekend thinking it would be an uplifting fantasy. Instead, it was a bit of a downer. Initially Jocelyne dreams about all the nice ways the lottery winnings can change her life, but when her husband discovers the check and realizes she has been keeping this huge secret, things begin to go wrong. While she outwardly believes her marriage is fine, there are many problems beneath the surface.

The ending was unexpected and not necessarily to my liking, but the majority of the novel was an interesting reflection on life, relationships, marriage and asks the question – does having more money and more possessions make life happier, or is there more to the equation?

Audio production:
The book was narrated by Jilly Bond. Nicely paced and easy to listen to with the right amount of emotion and tension in the conflicted Jocelyne’s voice. ( )
  UnderMyAppleTree | May 6, 2014 |
This interesting little book asks that perennial question: what would you change if you won the lottery? Jocelyne Guebette faces just this dilemma when she wins over 18m Euros after she is talked into buying her first ever ticket in a lottery. What should she do with all that money? She has been married for 22y and although her marriage has had some problems she and her husband get on well now. He has a good job and she has her own fabric and haberdashery shop and a successful blog encouraging women to knit and sew. Her life is not perfect but she has trouble imagining what she could do with all that money. Her wish list of what she could buy to make her life better is full of trivial items. She has two grown up children, a son who is estranged after dropping out of University and a daughter living in London who makes strange little films. Should she help them out with some money? What about her husband who desperately desires a flat screen TV, a complete set of James Bond movies and a Porsche? She also wants to do something to help her two best friends, unmarried twins in their late thirties who will never marry because they can't bear to be separated.
While she is procrastinating on what to do with her huge windfall, the story takes a surprising turn and Jocelyn is forced to decide what she really wants to do with the rest of her life. ( )
  cscott | Apr 29, 2014 |

Grégoire Delacourtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On se ment toujours.

"The #1 bestselling international phenomenon that asks, If you won the lottery, would you trade your life for the life of your dreams? Jocelyne lives in a small town in France where she runs a fabric shop, has been married to the same man for twenty-one years, and has raised two children. She is beginning to wonder what happened to all those dreams she had when she was seventeen. Could her life have been different? Then she wins the lottery-and suddenly finds the world at her fingertips. But she chooses not to tell anyone, not even her husband-not just yet. Without cashing the check, she begins to make a list of all the things she could do with the money. But does Jocelyne really want her life to change?"--… (more)

31 wanted6 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,889,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible