Alle meine Wünsche by Grégoire Delacourt

Alle meine Wünsche (edition 2012)

by Grégoire Delacourt, Claudia Steinitz (Übersetzer)

141None84,780 (3.44)5
Member:Wassilissa
Title:Alle meine Wünsche
Authors:Grégoire Delacourt
Other authors:Claudia Steinitz (Übersetzer)
Info:Hoffmann und Campe (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 126 Seiten
Collections:2013, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Januar 2013

La liste de mes envies by Grégoire Delacourt

188 (1) 2012 (2) 2013 (1) 2014 (1) Arras (4) daily life (1) ebook (2) espoir (1) family (2) fiction (2) France (7) Franzose (2) French (4) French literature (3) geb. 1960 (2) liste (1) literature (2) loto (4) Lotto (2) love (5) M (1) mercerie (2) narrativa (2) novel (4) Primavera (1) read in 2013 (2) Roman (6) suerte (1) TOP 20 2013 (2) trahison (2)

French (6)  English (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (18)
Published as 'My Wish List' in US

I found this short book profoundly depressing. I guess its moral was that winning money isn't the great news we all assume it to be - except the book failed to actually crystalise into that proof. It waffled around Jocelyne and her personal appearance issues, her lack of self confidence and fear that her husband didn't actually love her. She claimed that she was happy with her life as it was, but I wasn't convinced.
I enjoyed the first part, Jocelyne, the owner of the haberdashery and her lunches with the twins from the beauty parlour, their addiction to buying lottery tickets but failure to ever win a jack-pot. But then the narrative took a turn and I lost conviction in the story, lost respect for the characters and decided that this book couldn't get much more depressing.
We discussed it for a book group where some members had read it in the original French. No-one seemed to consider it a five star read, perhaps it is better understood in France. ( )
  DubaiReader | Apr 8, 2014 |
I received an ARC copy of this novel as part of a book blog tour hosted by France Book Tours. This review in its entirety was originally posted at caffeinatedlife.net: http://www.caffeinatedlife.net/blog/2014/03/27/review-my-wish-list-giveaway/

My Wish List is a slim but introspective novel about Jocelyne Guerbette’s life, both before and after the impact of winning the lottery. It’s a quiet life but she’s perfectly contented with it. It’s introspective in that she reflects on her life’s ups and downs, the decisions she’s made, the dreams she had. Faced with the cheque for 18 million euros, she finds herself wondering what more she wants of her life–and what she already has. The book is a quiet reflection, which was nice, and had some great quotes here and there that one can reflect on.

Without going into greater detail, it is also rather triste and the last third of the novel was a bit of a sucker-punch: I did not expect that to happen at the end (I was anticipating something else, but that did not come to pass). My Wish List overall is short but interesting and raises some questions about life and what would you do with a winning lottery ticket. ( )
  caffeinatedlife | Mar 28, 2014 |
The List of my Desires by Grégoire Delacourt

This is our book for February's Book club so I'm feeling a bit self righteous I have finished it so early. Usually I slide into my seat at the last minute having only finished it ten minutes before.

What does one do when one is happy with their lot in life and feels they don't need another thing? But maybe a new bag, a bath mat or a new car? But upon winning $18,000,000 dollars doesn't quite know whether to cash it in or not. That is what happened to Jocelyne when having been talked into buying a ticket she wins.

She owns a haberdashery shop that she goes to each day. She is happily married to Jocelyn (her husband has the same name as her) and she has raised her children successfully. Yes, she is a bit overweight but her haberdashery blog is taking off and she loves the fact she is still attracted to her husband.

So she hides the cheque in her shoe and leaves it there, taking it out only to look at it from time to time.

One day, unbeknownst to her the husband finds it and while pretending to go away for a week due to work he disappears altogether taking the cheque with him.

I think the reason the author gives him the same name is so he can rub out the e and cash the cheque.

To tell anymore of this story would be to ruin it but I did enjoy it. It was a bit of fluff and though I didn't find it very deep I must say it gives some food for thought.

Does one ever need more than one has to be happy? Does the things one has wanted their whole life in terms of material wealth make a person happy? More importantly did it make Jocelyn and Joscelyne happy? Or would they have been okay going along as they had.

Read this French translation of such a book and see what happens to these two. It doesn't end like one would think. Or does it? ( )
  TravellinPenguin | Jan 24, 2014 |
I'll admit I was influenced by this book cover, anyone else love it too? The eye-catching button design prompted me to check out the blurb and I was glad I did.

The List of My Desires by Grégoire Delacourt is translated from French and is set in a provincial town in France. It's the story of Jocelyne, middle-aged and married with two adult children who runs her own dressmaking shop. Jocelyne faces a turning point in her life though when she unexpectedly wins $18M in the lottery.

Should she tell anyone she won the millions? Should she cash in the cheque? The win forces Jocelyne to reflect on what she really wants in life, and she writes a list of her desires. She re-writes the list at the end and it's quite interesting to see what's changed.

I won't give any of the story away, you'll just have to read it to find out. The List of My Desires is a wonderful little hardback book, and I was grateful for the chance to imagine it was me who'd won the lottery. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Dec 27, 2013 |
On se ment toujours.

Jocelyne is 47 and runs her own dressmaking shop. She's a bit overweight, her husband is very ordinary and her best friends are the twins who run the hairdresser next door. Jocelyn has reached the point where she is examining her life and measuring it against what her teenage self had imagined.… (more)

4 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible