Alle meine Wünsche by Grégoire Delacourt

Alle meine Wünsche (edition 2012)

by Grégoire Delacourt, Claudia Steinitz (Übersetzer)

1721969,056 (3.5)5
Member:Wassilissa
Title:Alle meine Wünsche
Authors:Grégoire Delacourt
Other authors:Claudia Steinitz (Übersetzer)
Info:Hoffmann und Campe (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 126 Seiten
Collections:2013, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Januar 2013

La liste de mes envies by Grégoire Delacourt

French (6)  English (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (19)
I choose this short novel to listen to during the Readathon last weekend thinking it would be an uplifting fantasy. Instead, it was a bit of a downer. Initially Jocelyne dreams about all the nice ways the lottery winnings can change her life, but when her husband discovers the check and realizes she has been keeping this huge secret, things begin to go wrong. While she outwardly believes her marriage is fine, there are many problems beneath the surface.

The ending was unexpected and not necessarily to my liking, but the majority of the novel was an interesting reflection on life, relationships, marriage and asks the question – does having more money and more possessions make life happier, or is there more to the equation?

Audio production:
The book was narrated by Jilly Bond. Nicely paced and easy to listen to with the right amount of emotion and tension in the conflicted Jocelyne’s voice. ( )
  UnderMyAppleTree | May 6, 2014 |
This interesting little book asks that perennial question: what would you change if you won the lottery? Jocelyne Guebette faces just this dilemma when she wins over 18m Euros after she is talked into buying her first ever ticket in a lottery. What should she do with all that money? She has been married for 22y and although her marriage has had some problems she and her husband get on well now. He has a good job and she has her own fabric and haberdashery shop and a successful blog encouraging women to knit and sew. Her life is not perfect but she has trouble imagining what she could do with all that money. Her wish list of what she could buy to make her life better is full of trivial items. She has two grown up children, a son who is estranged after dropping out of University and a daughter living in London who makes strange little films. Should she help them out with some money? What about her husband who desperately desires a flat screen TV, a complete set of James Bond movies and a Porsche? She also wants to do something to help her two best friends, unmarried twins in their late thirties who will never marry because they can't bear to be separated.
While she is procrastinating on what to do with her huge windfall, the story takes a surprising turn and Jocelyn is forced to decide what she really wants to do with the rest of her life. ( )
  cscott | Apr 29, 2014 |
Published as 'My Wish List' in US

I found this short book profoundly depressing. I guess its moral was that winning money isn't the great news we all assume it to be - except the book failed to actually crystalise into that proof. It waffled around Jocelyne and her personal appearance issues, her lack of self confidence and fear that her husband didn't actually love her. She claimed that she was happy with her life as it was, but I wasn't convinced.
I enjoyed the first part, Jocelyne, the owner of the haberdashery and her lunches with the twins from the beauty parlour, their addiction to buying lottery tickets but failure to ever win a jack-pot. But then the narrative took a turn and I lost conviction in the story, lost respect for the characters and decided that this book couldn't get much more depressing.
We discussed it for a book group where some members had read it in the original French. No-one seemed to consider it a five star read, perhaps it is better understood in France. ( )
  DubaiReader | Apr 8, 2014 |
I received an ARC copy of this novel as part of a book blog tour hosted by France Book Tours. This review in its entirety was originally posted at caffeinatedlife.net: http://www.caffeinatedlife.net/blog/2014/03/27/review-my-wish-list-giveaway/

My Wish List is a slim but introspective novel about Jocelyne Guerbette’s life, both before and after the impact of winning the lottery. It’s a quiet life but she’s perfectly contented with it. It’s introspective in that she reflects on her life’s ups and downs, the decisions she’s made, the dreams she had. Faced with the cheque for 18 million euros, she finds herself wondering what more she wants of her life–and what she already has. The book is a quiet reflection, which was nice, and had some great quotes here and there that one can reflect on.

Without going into greater detail, it is also rather triste and the last third of the novel was a bit of a sucker-punch: I did not expect that to happen at the end (I was anticipating something else, but that did not come to pass). My Wish List overall is short but interesting and raises some questions about life and what would you do with a winning lottery ticket. ( )
  caffeinatedlife | Mar 28, 2014 |
I'll admit I was influenced by this book cover, anyone else love it too? The eye-catching button design prompted me to check out the blurb and I was glad I did.

The List of My Desires by Grégoire Delacourt is translated from French and is set in a provincial town in France. It's the story of Jocelyne, middle-aged and married with two adult children who runs her own dressmaking shop. Jocelyne faces a turning point in her life though when she unexpectedly wins $18M in the lottery.

Should she tell anyone she won the millions? Should she cash in the cheque? The win forces Jocelyne to reflect on what she really wants in life, and she writes a list of her desires. She re-writes the list at the end and it's quite interesting to see what's changed.

I won't give any of the story away, you'll just have to read it to find out. The List of My Desires is a wonderful little hardback book, and I was grateful for the chance to imagine it was me who'd won the lottery. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Dec 27, 2013 |

Grégoire Delacourtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On se ment toujours.

"The #1 bestselling international phenomenon that asks, If you won the lottery, would you trade your life for the life of your dreams? Jocelyne lives in a small town in France where she runs a fabric shop, has been married to the same man for twenty-one years, and has raised two children. She is beginning to wonder what happened to all those dreams she had when she was seventeen. Could her life have been different? Then she wins the lottery-and suddenly finds the world at her fingertips. But she chooses not to tell anyone, not even her husband-not just yet. Without cashing the check, she begins to make a list of all the things she could do with the money. But does Jocelyne really want her life to change?"--… (more)

4 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible