The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED]…

The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED] (Audiobook) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Philipa Gregory - Narrated by: Jill Tanner

Member:tututhefirst
Title:The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED] (Audiobook)
Authors:Philipa Gregory - Narrated by: Jill Tanner
Info:
Collections:Audio books, Read but unowned
Tags:nil, 7508, audio, Catherine of Aragon, fiction-historical

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory (2005)

English (132)  All (1)  Italian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (135)
I listened to the Audible version of this book, and by the last third was counting down the time until the end. I thought the portion of the book surrounding what may have happened between Katherine and Arthur was interesting, although not necessarily based in historical fact. Like other reviewers I had a hard time suspending my belief that someone so profoundly religious would be able to predicate their entire life on a lie. The writing was good, although the switching between first person and third person narrative was often jarring. I would say this book was well written with characters and a plot that were periodically well developed and interesting, but lacked that something special that makes a book truly wonderful. ( )
  lexxa83 | Nov 1, 2016 |
I loved it. The writing was fantastic. the story was heart breaking ( )
  d_mckinley | Feb 12, 2016 |
couldn't figure out why Katherine and Authur wanted to keep their love a secret when they were married ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |
I generally liked the book well enough but there were a couple of things that bugged me. Mainly, the writing style of Catalina's first person narrative throughout the story. While it was helpful to see what she was thinking, it felt like it repeated the same things: she missed her home, she loved Arthur and it was her god-given destiny to be Queen. I would have perferred it be in all third person narrative.

Also, for some reason, it just wasn't as exciting as The Other Boleyn Girl (In fact, I was sitting in the Farmers Market reading The Other Boleyn Girl when I first got it and had at least four seperate people say to me that they really, really loved the book but everything else that Gregory had written wasn't as great).

Otherwise, a very interesting look from the perspective of the Queen that was pushed aside. Makes me understand and sympathize with the character of Katherine in the Other Boleyn Girl much more. ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
A fascinating insight into the transformation of Caterina Infanta of Spain to Katherine of Aragon Queen of England.

Rich with history far more than you learn at school a great read.

The best compliment I can pay the author is that once you finish the book it stays with you and I want to learn more about Katherine in a non fictional setting. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burton, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holm, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony
There was a scream, and then a loud roar of fire enveloping silken hangings, then a mounting crescendo of shouts of panic that spread and spread from one tent to another as the flames ran too, leaping from one silk standard to another, running up guy ropes and bursting through muslin doors.

"I am Catalina, Princess of Spain, daughter of the two greatest monarchs the world has ever known...and I will be Queen of England."

Thus, bestselling author Philippa Gregory introduces one of her most unforgettable heroines: Katherine of Aragon. Known to history as the Queen who was pushed off her throne by Anne Boleyn, here is a Katherine the world has forgotten: the enchanting princess that all England loved. First married to Henry VIII's older brother, Arthur, Katherine's passion turns their arranged marriage into a love match; but when Arthur dies, the merciless English court and her ambitious parents -- the crusading King and Queen of Spain -- have to find a new role for the widow. Ultimately, it is Katherine herself who takes control of her own life by telling the most audacious lie in English history, leading her to the very pinnacle of power in England.

Set in the rich beauty of Moorish Spain and the glamour of the Tudor court, The Constant Princess presents a woman whose constancy helps her endure betrayal, poverty, and despair, until the inevitable moment when she steps into the role she has prepared for all her life: Henry VIII's Queen, Regent, and commander of the English army in their greatest victory against Scotland.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

A richly detailed fictional portrait of Henry VIII's first wife, Katherine of Aragon, the daughter of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand of Spain, follows her from her passionate youthful marriage to Henry's older brother, Arthur, her widowhood, her marriage to Henry and her denial of her true love for Arthur, and the divorce that led to Henry's second marriage to Anne Boleyn.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,820,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible