The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED]…

The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED] (Audiobook) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Philipa Gregory - Narrated by: Jill Tanner

Member:tututhefirst
Title:The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED] (Audiobook)
Authors:Philipa Gregory - Narrated by: Jill Tanner
Info:
Collections:Audio books, Read but unowned
Tags:nil, 7508, audio, Catherine of Aragon, fiction-historical

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory (2005)

16th century (46) 2007 (17) 2008 (17) adult (14) British (16) Catherine of Aragon (186) England (168) English History (18) fiction (312) Henry VII (22) Henry VIII (170) historical (121) historical fiction (580) historical novel (18) history (57) novel (32) own (34) Philippa Gregory (17) queens (16) read (65) read in 2006 (14) romance (66) royalty (65) series (17) Spain (54) to-read (84) Tudor (120) Tudor England (34) Tudors (90) unread (25)

This book was amazing, I loved reading about the early life of Katherine of Aragon, her first love Arthur, and then her marriage to Henry and everything that happened after. I will definitely be reading more books by Philippa Gregory! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I am so enjoying Ms Gregory's books. This was a wonderful read, helping put more pieces in place in my understanding of England's Royal History.

I have read a few of her other books and I find that it can become a bit confusing. The wives, the children, the many players in the royal court. I have now taken my interest in this subject outside of the "Gregory" realm and am looking for more historical accounts.

I'll keep reading her books. She has such a wonderful way of bringing these people to life. ( )
  ava-st-claire | Feb 21, 2014 |
Another of Gregory's wonderful historical tales, this one focusing on Katherine of Aragon, nee Caterina, the Infanta of Spain, who was the first wife of Henry VIII. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |
I am surprised how low the ratings are for this book. I know very little of this time period, so I went in with very little prejuduce. I found the book engrossing, it was very well told, had a nice flow.. until about 50 pages from the end, then all of those little details, thoughts all went out the window... kinda like the publisher said, cut it after the epic battle then end it. What happened that caused this to end this way? (besides Ann Boleyn) I started readig [b:The Other Boleyn Girl|37470|The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #2)|Philippa Gregory|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355932638s/37470.jpg|3248536] right after I finished this one and although it starts before the last book ended, there were things mentioned that weren't brought up in Constant Princess. I would think that if (possible spoiler) they mention a bastard son in "The other boleyn.." that it would certainly been a sore subject to the Queen and lay heavily on her mind.
Queen Katherine was very strong and proud, how could she let the chips fall as they had? She was a heroine to her people! Yes, she gave credit to he Northern victory to Henry, but the people knew she was there, knew she was riding with the troops and running the entire operation.
I think this book was missing about another 100 pages. ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
This was the first ever historical fiction book I have ever read. What a good one to start with. I came across this author, and these books because I really wanted to read The Other Boleyn girl. When I found that book it seemed they went in some kind of order, and this one was first so I read it. Pretty good book. I liked the way it was written as a history book, but it had subtle present day twists that did not make it seem like you were reading a school book. I loved the story behind it too. The king has a wandering eye, and although his queen knows she stands by his side. Partially because of her beliefs, partially because she has a love for the country she's been reigning over. Either way it had a very "stand by your man" feel to it. Whether that is good or bad, in this sense is up to ones own judgment. Regardless, it was a nice book to read. ( )
  ArielMarie | Oct 24, 2013 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holm, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony
There was a scream, and then a loud roar of fire enveloping silken hangings, then a mounting crescendo of shouts of panic that spread and spread from one tent to another as the flames ran too, leaping from one silk standard to another, running up guy ropes and bursting through muslin doors.

"I am Catalina, Princess of Spain, daughter of the two greatest monarchs the world has ever known...and I will be Queen of England."

Thus, bestselling author Philippa Gregory introduces one of her most unforgettable heroines: Katherine of Aragon. Known to history as the Queen who was pushed off her throne by Anne Boleyn, here is a Katherine the world has forgotten: the enchanting princess that all England loved. First married to Henry VIII's older brother, Arthur, Katherine's passion turns their arranged marriage into a love match; but when Arthur dies, the merciless English court and her ambitious parents -- the crusading King and Queen of Spain -- have to find a new role for the widow. Ultimately, it is Katherine herself who takes control of her own life by telling the most audacious lie in English history, leading her to the very pinnacle of power in England.

Set in the rich beauty of Moorish Spain and the glamour of the Tudor court, The Constant Princess presents a woman whose constancy helps her endure betrayal, poverty, and despair, until the inevitable moment when she steps into the role she has prepared for all her life: Henry VIII's Queen, Regent, and commander of the English army in their greatest victory against Scotland.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:59 -0400)

A richly detailed fictional portrait of Henry VIII's first wife, Katherine of Aragon, the daughter of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand of Spain, follows her from her passionate youthful marriage to Henry's older brother, Arthur, her widowhood, her marriage to Henry and her denial of her true love for Arthur, and the divorce that led to Henry's second marriage to Anne Boleyn.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,576,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible