The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED]…

The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED] (Audiobook) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Philipa Gregory - Narrated by: Jill Tanner

Member:tututhefirst
Title:The Constant Princess [UNABRIDGED] (Audiobook)
Authors:Philipa Gregory - Narrated by: Jill Tanner
Info:
Collections:Audio books, Read but unowned
Tags:nil, 7508, audio, Catherine of Aragon, fiction-historical

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory (2005)

English (134)  All (1)  Italian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (137)
About as historically accurate as any Philippa Gregory can be said to be, this novel portrayed a young Catalina, Infanta of Spain, Princess of Whales who will be Queen of England. Sure in her future, even when her young husband dies, she is sure that she will be the next Queen of England and see her son on the throne, even if that means lying that her marriage to Arthur was not consummated.

I found this novel to be intriguing. I have never read a novel about the young Catherine of Aragon and her life with Arthur. While the question of the consummation of their marriage is still one of the greatest in history, it was interesting to read from the perspective that it was indeed a full marriage and the implications that had on Catherine as a wife to the young King Henry VIII. ( )
  serogers02 | Jun 10, 2017 |
Like with [b:The Other Boleyn Girl|37470|The Other Boleyn Girl|Philippa Gregory|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1277607929s/37470.jpg|3248536], it took me a while to feel the book. I first questioned it, thought that The Other Boleyn Girl was a better book. But I soon got drawn into the tale of Katherine, the first wife to king Henry. It was interesting to find out more about their relationship, that they had loved each other once. A good tale of a woman's life and trouble, and she was strong and wise.

As for the writing itself, I was kind of annoyed of the bits with Katharine's thoughts. I think the book could stand on is own without writing passages of 1:st POV. It would also have been interesting to read the whole deal with Anne and Mary from Katharine's POV, how she took it all to her end. ( )
  Wilwarin | May 23, 2017 |
I listened to the Audible version of this book, and by the last third was counting down the time until the end. I thought the portion of the book surrounding what may have happened between Katherine and Arthur was interesting, although not necessarily based in historical fact. Like other reviewers I had a hard time suspending my belief that someone so profoundly religious would be able to predicate their entire life on a lie. The writing was good, although the switching between first person and third person narrative was often jarring. I would say this book was well written with characters and a plot that were periodically well developed and interesting, but lacked that something special that makes a book truly wonderful. ( )
  lexxa83 | Nov 1, 2016 |
I loved it. The writing was fantastic. the story was heart breaking ( )
  d_mckinley | Feb 12, 2016 |
couldn't figure out why Katherine and Authur wanted to keep their love a secret when they were married ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burton, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holm, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony
There was a scream, and then a loud roar of fire enveloping silken hangings, then a mounting crescendo of shouts of panic that spread and spread from one tent to another as the flames ran too, leaping from one silk standard to another, running up guy ropes and bursting through muslin doors.

"I am Catalina, Princess of Spain, daughter of the two greatest monarchs the world has ever known...and I will be Queen of England."

Thus, bestselling author Philippa Gregory introduces one of her most unforgettable heroines: Katherine of Aragon. Known to history as the Queen who was pushed off her throne by Anne Boleyn, here is a Katherine the world has forgotten: the enchanting princess that all England loved. First married to Henry VIII's older brother, Arthur, Katherine's passion turns their arranged marriage into a love match; but when Arthur dies, the merciless English court and her ambitious parents -- the crusading King and Queen of Spain -- have to find a new role for the widow. Ultimately, it is Katherine herself who takes control of her own life by telling the most audacious lie in English history, leading her to the very pinnacle of power in England.

Set in the rich beauty of Moorish Spain and the glamour of the Tudor court, The Constant Princess presents a woman whose constancy helps her endure betrayal, poverty, and despair, until the inevitable moment when she steps into the role she has prepared for all her life: Henry VIII's Queen, Regent, and commander of the English army in their greatest victory against Scotland.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

A richly detailed fictional portrait of Henry VIII's first wife, Katherine of Aragon, the daughter of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand of Spain, follows her from her passionate youthful marriage to Henry's older brother, Arthur, her widowhood, her marriage to Henry and her denial of her true love for Arthur, and the divorce that led to Henry's second marriage to Anne Boleyn.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible