I Couldn't Love You More by Jillian…

I Couldn't Love You More (edition 2012)

by Jillian Medoff

Member:RebeccaLeaf
Title:I Couldn't Love You More
Authors:Jillian Medoff
Info:5 Spot (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*

I Couldn't Love You More by Jillian Medoff

Thirty-eight-year-old Eliot Gordon is a working mother who lives a conventional yet, for her, fulfilling life in suburban Atlanta. She would do absolutely anything for her family - her longtime partner, Grant Delaney, and their three lovely daughters: fourteen-year-old Charlotte, seven-year-old Gail, and four-year-old Hailey. In truth, while Hailey is Eliot's and Grant's daughter, Charlotte and Gail are Grant's daughters from a previous marriage. The distinction of 'stepdaughters' is one that Eliot is always reluctant to make with regard to Charlotte and Gail - as she loves both of the older girls just as much as the child that she gave birth to - and Eliot valiantly attempts to maintain a safe, happy home for them all.

By anyone else's estimations, Eliot is living the sort of life that may be considered unremarkable and quite tedious - yet by Eliot's own standards she is quite comfortable and very much content with her life and family. Then Finn Montgomery, Eliot's long-lost first love, appears. His sudden and unexpected return sets into motion a shocking chain of events that threatens to unravel everything she has worked so hard for. How Eliot ultimately survives - and what she loses in the process - is a story that will resonate with anyone who has ever loved a child.

With hilarious honesty, heart-wrenching depth, and a knockout plot twist, Jillian Medoff creates a story that is poignant and eternal. I Couldn't Love You More illuminates the unbreakable bonds of family and reveals the lengths that we will go to to save each other, even as we can't save ourselves. Ultimately, I Couldn't Love You More: A Novel by Jillian Medoff is a true love story - both familial and romantic - as well as a story about loss, change and finding your own sense of normalcy - even when the life around you feels utterly abnormal.

I must say, that while it took me some time to get into this story, by several pages in I found myself utterly engrossed in the book. The story was poignant and well-written, and I immediately connected with the characters on a deeply emotional level. This was a remarkable story and I give it a definite A+! This may be the first book by Jillian Medoff that I have ever read, yet I made sure that I put this author's name at the very top of my Wish List. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of two more of her books, and look forward to reading them as soon as I receive them. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jun 16, 2015 |
Totally flattened me. I wasn't expecting such depth and insight--but it's also funny! I loved this book very much. An amazing exploration of family ties and connections. Medoff is a great storyteller, and I will read anything she writes! ( )
  kimburnup | Feb 5, 2013 |
Knockout premise for a book and really one of those classic questions. If both your kids were drowning at the same time, which one would you save? ( )
  RochelleJewelShapiro | Feb 1, 2013 |
I read this because it was reviewed as some of the summer's best "chick lit" on CBS Sunday Morning. Unfortunately, the story was predictable, flat, and annoying at times. ( )
  RebeccaLeaf | Dec 28, 2012 |
I Couldn't Love You More is author Jillian Medoff's latest novel, but the first for this reader.

I had no idea what to expect, but a cover blurb from Jodi Picoult hinted at a thoughtful, thought-provoking novel. And it was.

Thirty eight year old Eliot Gordon lives with her partner Grant and their three children. One daughter, Hilary, is Eliot and Grant's child. The other two daughters, Gail and Charlotte, are from Grant's marriage. Yes, a blended family with all it's ups - and downs.

I was drawn to Eliot from the first page. She's a warm, caring, loving mother to all three girls, treating them all equally. Charlotte at fourteen makes it very difficult to love her, but Eliot perseveres. The girls' biological mother is a bit of a flake and Eliot is a calming, steady rock in their lives. Grant too is a rock - a man steadfastly devoted to his partner and family.

Eliot is one of three girls herself and is also from a broken home. She's had no contact with her own father for many, many years. This has only strengthened her resolve to provide a stable home for the girls. Eliot's sisters are both quite the characters. I was a bit turned off by Sylvia at first. She's loud, brash and over the top. As the novel progressed, I have to admit that she became my favourite character, ahead of Eliot.

For midway in the novel comes a turning point. Although she is happy, there are ups and downs in Eliot's life. When Finn, an old flame from university appears, Eliot reconnects with him. This reconnection has an unforeseeable, unforgettable, unimaginable impact on Eliot, Grant and their daughters. The second half of the novel deals with the fallout from this pivotal point onwards.

Medoff touches on many subjects in I Couldn't Love You More. Sibling rivalry, step parenting, parenting, familial relationships of all types, love, loss, regrets and remorse, grief and guilt. And Medoff does it all with a keen, knowing eye and probing prose.

The second half of the book had me torn. Without giving too much of the plot away - I became very angry with Eliot - her choices, her decisions and the aftermath. But, this is the hallmark of a good storyteller. Medoff definitely arouses emotion with this poignant tale. This would be an excellent choice for a book club.....and engender lots of discussion. ( )
  Twink | Jun 25, 2012 |

Which child would you save? A decision no parent can even fathom.

Then Finn Montgomery, Eliot's long-lost first love, appears, triggering a shocking chain of events that culminates in a split-second decision that will haunt her beloved family forever. How Eliot survives-and what she loses in the process-is a story that will resonate with anyone who has ever loved a child. With hilarious honesty, wrenching depth, and a knockout twist, I COULDN'T LOVE YOU MORE illuminates the unbreakable bonds of family and reveals the lengths we'll go to save each other, even as we can't save ourselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:23 -0400)

Eliot Gordon would do anything for her family. A 38-year-old working mother, she lives an ordinary but fulfilling life in suburban Atlanta with her partner, Grant Delaney, and their three daughters. The two older girls are actually Eliot's stepdaughters, a distinction she is reluctant to make as she valiantly attempts to maintain a safe, happy household . . .Then Finn Montgomery, Eliot's long-lost first love, appears, triggering a shocking chain of events that culminates in a split-second decision that will haunt her beloved family forever. How Eliot survives-and what she loses in the process-is a story that will resonate with anyone who has ever loved a child.… (more)

Jillian Medoff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,468,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible