Piercing The Darkness by Frank E. Peretti

Piercing The Darkness (1989)

by Frank E. Peretti

This novel is the second Christian thriller by Frank Peretti, and sort of a sequel to This Present Darkness. It portrays problems in small-town America which are mirrored in the spiritual realm with angels and demons battling for lives and souls. It's exciting enough that it would probably be enjoyed by anyone who likes action-packed thrilling novels although it probably makes more sense to Christians.

As encouragement for Christians to stand up for what they believe, and to keep praying, it's probably quite successful. However the book IS fiction, and it's important to remember that Peretti's spiritual battles are only his interpretation of a possible scenario. Some critics complain that his theology is off-beam, but I don't think that's really fair: he's not teaching theology, he's writing a novel.

It's a good read which was almost as gripping the third time I read it as it was the first time, about 12 years previously. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Great book! I loved it!
I still can't help but think that around us, heavenly warriors sent by
our loving Father stood by our side.. helping us while we fight our battles.
What a glorious and victorious ending!

I give glory to Jesus! ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
The main reason that I did not like this book was because it was shoved down my throat by a fundamentalist Christian when I was twenty years old and living in a halfway house because I had pretty much stuffed up my life. To be honest, I had been charged with a number of criminal offences, stolen about $1000.00 (in 1990s money) off of my parents, and was hanging around with a guy that was not only a bad influence, but also a bad smell. Before I go into this book I might say a word or two about this guy.
He was a funny guy, a refugee from an Eastern bloc country (isn't it funny that refugees from European and Asian Countries were welcomed, but refugees from Middle Eastern Countries aren't) who wanted to live 'the life' but did not want to work for it. I suspect that the main reason he hung around me was because he thought that I could come up with grand some money making scheme that would make him rich, but with the minimal amount of work (probably also because I looked up at him, and he was one of those people that loved having people around that looked up to him – it gave him some form of identity). It was like if he could buy alcohol and clothes by passing off stale cheques or stolen credit cards (it was a lot easier back in those days to rack up credit card debt on somebody else's card because the shops would not be notified until at least a month after the card was reported stolen), he would do it, but if it involved establishing a publishing house (or even a dodgy stock brokerage firm) he was not interested. Oh, and he was also the type of guy that would pretty much take everything for himself, and when I said he was a bad smell, I meant it: I simply could not get rid of him. I would try to disconnect myself from him, and then suddenly he would rock up at my door one day and want to hang around with me. I really don't know what happened to him, and in a way I am curious because it has been a long time since I have seen him and it would be interesting to see if he has pulled himself out of the rubbish that he had got himself into (as I have done), or if he is dead.
Mind you, that is all by the by, because this book is about spiritual warfare. It is about a woman who is haunted by a demon and has to come to terms with this demon by fighting it. A number of Christians that I know don't like this book because it is very works based: the main character has to fight and overcome the demon herself when in reality it is through God that we are able to overcome our demons. Mind you, when I speak about overcoming our demons, I mean it in both in the literal and the metaphorical sense.
One of the funny things that I have found in my life so far is that sometimes our demons (both literal and metaphorical) can be location based, and sometimes they can simply be due to who you hang around with, and I guess that is why I mentioned the story of that guy above. It wasn't until I managed to not only separate myself from him, but from all of the people that were related to him, that my life began to turn around again. Look, I am not blaming my problems on him, by no means, because I always had a choice. There was one time where I (surprise, surprise) ran into him in Victoria Square when I was with another friend, and I was given the choice of going with him or with my other friend (I couldn't have both) and I ended up going with him (bad choice).
The same has happened recently, in that I have moved myself seven hundred kilometres away from my source of marijuana and I have begun to clean myself up (though I still probably drink more than I should, and am kicking myself that I did not by any beer on Christmas Eve to discover that even in Melbourne you can't buy beer on Christmas Day) and even save money. As I write this on Christmas Day in 2012, I must say that I have managed to achieve three goals this year, I have moved interstate, I have saved $5000.00 and put it into my share trading account, and I have beaten the market (by about 8%). The third one, I must admit, was more luck than skill, and I am not expecting to do the same next year, but I guess my next goal is to bring certain holdings up to about $5000.00 each, and also develop a friendship network here in Melbourne, as well as going to Hong Kong and connecting with a church there. One should remember though that the bible says that it is not that we should not be making plans, but that we should be making plans with God's purposes in mind, and as I look back on my achievements this year, once again I will have to say that it is not through any skill of my own, but through God's grace that I have been able to do that. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Feb 10, 2014 |
I read this book twice! ( )
  krista.rutherford | Feb 19, 2013 |
If you ever wanted to get a feel for the real supernatural this book and its companion book,This Present darkness, this is it. The invisible becomes real in the characters and creates a real picture in your mind.Early ground-breaking stuff. ( )
  DaleCogdell | Dec 1, 2012 |
"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5 (RSV)
To Gene and Joyce, my dad and mom, who gave me my heritage, and always encouraged me
It could have begun in any town.

It all begins in Bacon's Corner, a tiny farming community far from the interstate...An attempted murder, a case of mistaken-or is it covered up?- identity, and a ruthless lawsuit against a struggling Christian school. Sally Beth Roe, a young loner, a burn-out, a kind of 'leftover hippie,' finds herself caught in the middle of these bizarre events, fleeing for her life while trying to recall her dark past.

Across a vast panorama of heart-stopping action, Sally Roe's journey is a penetrating portrayal of our times, a reflection of our wanderings, and a vivid reminder of the redemptive power that is within our grasp.

In Piercing the Darkness, Sally Beth Roe, a young loner, a burn-out, a kind of "leftover hippie", finds herself caught in the middle of bizarre events, fleeing for her life while trying to recall her dark past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:50 -0400)

A desperate young woman is fleeing to save her life and her soul from an evil and twisted darkness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,221,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible