Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4) by…

Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4) (edition 2012)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (4)

3652629,724 (4)10
Member:TheBooknerd
Title:Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013 (inactive), SBF Featured (inactive), Favorites, StrangeBedfellows (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:reviewed-at-sbf

Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews

Charlotte is a healer of extraordinary talent. When her husband dumps her because she can't have kids, she goes off to the Edge. That's where she meets Richard and finds out about the slavers in a very brutal way.

They team up and of course fall in love along the way. This was not a bad ending to a short series. Kind of wish it could go on, but that's not our choice. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Charlotte and Richard tow very different people are thrown together in dire circumstances. He is known as The Hunter, and comes from common relations and he hunts/kills slave runners. He is excellent with flashing and using his sword. She is the most talented healer and a member of a very blue, blue blood family.her life has been sheltered and focused on healing till Richard derails things. He shows up one day at her place of rest, near death and being chased by viscous salvers who will stop at nothing to get him. Saving his life comes at a very high cost. They travel through towns looking for revenge and encounter death, torture and love.
I enjoyed this last book in this wonderful series. I loved seeing George and Jack again. *They are two of my favorite characters. I did not really connect with Charlotte and Richard. I don't know why. I love the world, the story just not them so much. I really hope the authors bring George and Jack into their own books some day. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
So sad to see The Edge books end; I have really enjoyed this series! There were some wonderful characters. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
[b:Steel's Edge|12119496|Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)|Ilona Andrews|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1341723527s/12119496.jpg|17088789] is supposed to be the last book in Andrews’ “The Edge” series. Charlotte moved to the Edge after her illusions about her husband and life were shattered. She worked hard to build a new life for herself but it’s all destroyed one afternoon when she agrees to help an injured man. Now she’s set on taking her revenge and will use Richard Marr’s help to get it. I really loved Charlotte and thought the dynamics of her magic were interesting. However, I felt like there were a few minor plot threads that weren’t finished by the end. So, I’m hoping this means the Andrews writing team haven’t completely finished writing stories in this world. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

It should come as no surprise that I've been enjoying this series a lot, but I haven't LOVED any of the installments yet, until now. When I first discovered that this final book featured a healer as the main heroine, I had some qualms as to whether Charlotte would be able to achieve the level of badass-ery that I've come to expect from Ilona Andrews. Case in point, FATE'S EDGE's Audrey Callahan wasn't a fighter either, and ended up being my least favourite THE EDGE female protagonist. All of my doubts quickly flew the coop though when I learned that de Ney's abilities could also be used to harm, and I'm not talking little ouchies here, but mass murdering plagues. Never have I been so happy to eat my words! The world-building, narration, secondary characters, and storytelling absolutely rocked too. This was the series finale after all, and this author duo doesn't do half-assed. Period.

I liked that the protagonists were older; they've both been married once already, are individuals first, and a couple second. Charlotte and Richard have been around the block a couple of times, and as a result, were unwilling to settle for anything less than true love. It made them both more accepting of their respective faults; the flash fire romance was believable on account of them knowing exactly what they wanted in a partner, and not being afraid to go after it. I loved de Ney's flawless poise vs. Mar's backwoods mannerisms, and her raw power to his skill with a blade. She fears transforming into a bringer of plagues, while as he's worried that he's not Blue Blood enough for her. When they finally opened up their hearts to a relationship, it was like two puzzle pieces sliding home.

The Andrews' skillfully wrapped-up this series' story arc while still weaving a captivating story about slavers, political intrigue, and also tying up several loose ends secondary character wise. Jack and George play a vital role in this installment, and I loved how they were able to get some closure with regards to their father's abandonment. Sophie gets a piece of Spider for fusing her mother, and even Rose, Declan & Kaldar had brief cameos. As much as I enjoyed the action, I actually liked Charlotte's poised manipulations and tutelage of Lark more. It takes finesse to defeat a foe with a sword, but even more so with words, and clever artifice. However, not everyone got their HEA unfortunately, poor sweet Éléonore... And, was it just me, or were there sparks between George and Sophie? Potential spin-off?

I've now had the pleasure of listening to eleven audiobooks from Ilona Andrews and Renée Raudman, and let me tell you, the experience is in no danger of getting old. There are many reasons why this trio makes up the bulk of my Audible library including spellbinding performances, flawless pacing, and masterful tone. Raudman is the voice behind the Andrews' written word, breathes life into all of their memorable characters, and makes listeners feel like they inhabit this author duo's fictional worlds. If you're still on the fence about audiobooks, I highly recommend that you give these a try, you won't regret it! In fact, your house may end up cleaner than it has even been because you'll find yourself actively seeking out excuses to read hands-fee.

STEEL'S EDGE was the ultimate epitome of go big or go home! My god, am I ever going to miss these characters! ( )
  RabidReads | Nov 2, 2014 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, RenéeReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Charlotte de Ney, a blueblood from the Weird with magical healing abilities, finds her new life in the Edge disrupted when Richard Mar, a swordsman seeking to wipe out slavers trafficking humans, is brought to her for treatment.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,913,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible