Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4) by…

Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4) (edition 2012)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (4)

3992826,786 (4)10
Member:allthesedarnbooks
Title:Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read in 2013, Kindle: Read, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:urban fantasy, paranormal romance

Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews

Richard Mar has been in several (if not all) of the books in this series and I always enjoy his character. He will do whatever it takes to get the job done without apologies. He is an edger and his loyalty is to his family. He takes on what was almost an impossible task of wiping out the slavers so that his niece Sophie does not try to take on the same quest in order to slake her thirst for vengeance. Charlotte is a talented healer but she has been hurt very badly and seeks to live in the edge away from all that she had ever known. It was by unfortunate circumstances that these two characters were brought together. Those circumstances were heart breaking and forged a precarious relationship between Richard and Charlotte. He thought she was a liability but she soon became a pivotal force that threatened to crumble more than just the defenses he had around his heart.

The team work with Richard and Charlotte was nicely written. You can really "see" how affected they were by the slavers and how the quest to stop slavery was truly the focus. There is also some of that Edger madness from Richard but plenty of great humor as well. I loved Charlotte's internal battle between good and evil. I of course think that anything that kills bad guys is on the "good" side but it does come with some nasty consequences. Ya know, potential plague bringer and all.... There was a relationship build between Richard and Charlotte and there was a sprinkle of sexy times but really the story was about revenge.

The book starts out with action and the story really keeps its focus there. In addition to having Richard return, there were also the characters of George, Jack and Sophie aka "Lark" in this story. I had enjoyed the characters of George and Jack since book one and now to see them coming into their strengths and really taking part in the overall plot is just great. I like reading about George's powers with necromancy because it is so creepy and creative. Sophie has had my heart since book 2. She went through so much and to see how things are moving along for her was very nice. I am hoping that since these characters were deeply woven into this book that we will be able to read their stories in the next installments.

This was a great read and I enjoyed every minute of it! I highly recommend! ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jan 14, 2017 |
Charlotte de Ney is a Blueblood – not by birth, but as one of the coveted and precious healers she was granted nobility in exchange for her service. She has led a sheltered life – one that left her unprepared for the heartbreak of her first relationship

And the deadly lure of her power’s dark side

She tries to escape the temptation and find another sheltered, safe life… until brutal tragedy hits again and links her to the Edger Richard Mar and his obsessive quest to end the slave trade. It’s nearly impossible for her to pursue this conflict without succumbing and becoming an abomination – but sometimes more than survival is at stake

Do I start with lots of glowing praise? At what point do I say “Ilona Andrews” and you know that this review is just going to be such a glowing shining ramble of adoring praise? How many times can I say that the world building is awesome, that I really love the concept of the Weird, the Broken and the Edge, how that feeling of being between two worlds is such a powerful theme in this series, how every character so excellently epitomises this sense of not belonging, of being the outsider. Even when not directly as an Edger but so often as a side due to magic or heritage or similar trait.

I love the whole concept of healer magic – how people with such skills of healing are equally positioned to be such terrible scourges. And I love how we can present the idea of magic being out of control so well without desperately grabbing at a dubious addiction narrative.

I also really like Charlotte’s back story, her growth, her naivety and moral compass that forces her to make hard decisions, her integrity that pushes her towards both self-sacrifice and vengeance both.

I like a lot about Charlotte and how she is quite different from a lot of characters we see. She’s incredibly dangerous because of her power and certainly doesn’t need to shelter in the manly shadow of Richard (and tells him frequently she doesn’t need that) – but she isn’t an amazing warrior either, since she has led a very sheltered life – and definitely isn’t a Warrior Princess (but nor does she need a male protector – and even has Sophie be her bodyguard). She’s also a woman who is very much part of the aristocracy – steeped in manners and poise and respectability and tradition and etiquette. And she uses these skills, she treats them as a serious skill set, a skill set that needs to be honed, that needs to be learned and developed

In the genre of the Strong Female Character with Swords, these traits, these skills and these strengths are often regarded with a level of contempt (or any overt traditional femininity). But Charlotte awesomely turns them into a weapon. Without these skills, Richard’s plan to bring down the slave trade would simply not work.

But none of this is ever used to completely mask the privilege that comes with this lifestyle. From Richard’s realisation that no matter how educated he is, or how educated George is, they’re still lesser, still disrespected – eternally lesser because they’re not super special Blue Bloods. Even characters we respect don’t consider Charlotte and Richard to be a viable match. George comments bitterly on how he considers the ostentatious displays of wealth that are so impressing the Blue Bloods utterly revolt him because he can only imagine how many terribly poor people could have eaten on the cost of one of these golden plates. We see the strength of Charlotte’s aristocratic manners and skills without glorifying her upper class privilege or the injustice of it.

And can we talk Sophie? Sophie has been a minor character for a few books – deeply damaged, hurting, consumed with vengeance and self loathing and completely being torn apart by her horrendously traumatising experience when she was young. Usually there are 3 common paths to follow from here

Path 1: she doesn’t experience any real consequences of this except occasional angsty monologues or “I can’t trust people!” which exists primarily to make her The Strong Female Character or put a few road blocks on her romance path
Path 2: She meets a man and after some resistance his magical penis magically heals her issues and she is fine.
Path 3: She pursues and epic path of vengeance, achieves it, realises vengeance is hollow blah blah now in love with a guy.

Sophie is not set up for romance, at all. Her experiences have deeply shaped her life. She is hurting, badly and just because she’s been driven to learn to fight for it doesn’t reduce her pain to an origin story… and she is also approaching *gasp* therapy – yes actually healing based on treatment!

I also really like George and Jack and how their story has grown along with these series as the main constant, they’re fun and manage to be a linking factor without being an all-powerful affect and without them being the protagonist – it’s such an excellent idea to link the series.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 3, 2017 |
Steel's Edge
4 Stars

Hurt and betrayed by the man she has chosen to spend her life with, Charlotte de Nay, Adrianglia’s most renowned healer, flees to the Edge where she makes a new home for herself until her life is shattered once again by vicious slavers. Joining forces with Richard Mar, who has his own reasons for hunting those who prey on the innocent, Charlotte vows to defeat those behind the scourge of slavery at any cost.

An action packed story, a charming romance, but numerous questions are unanswered, and as this is the final installment, it would seem that they will remain that way.

The slavery plot, which was hinted at in book #1, comes full circle in a story that is divided into to parts. In the first section, Charlotte and Richard join forces to unmask the villains responsible for the slave trade, and in the second, they work toward destroying the enterprise once and for all. While both parts are action packed and exciting, there is a certain lack of closure due to the open issues such as what happens to Jason Parris, will Erian return, does Elvei get his heir, and has the Spider survived Charlotte’s magic?.

Charlotte and Richard’s romance has the chemistry and emotional intensity that has been lacking in the last couple of books. Both Charlotte and Richard have been hurt in the past and each of them fills a void in the other’s heart that makes them complete. Thus, even though their connection is initially based on the dangers of their situation, the relationship develops realistically as the attraction turns into a deep affection and love.

As always, the secondary characters are one of the best aspects of the book. George and Jack, Grandma Eleonore and Sophie, all contribute to fleshing out the complex world building and storyline. There are hints at further character development and I can only hope that we will be seeing more of them in a spin-off series.

In sum, Steel’s Edge is an enjoyable end to the Edge story arc, but it is a little disappointing that there are so many unresolved plot threads.
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Charlotte is a healer of extraordinary talent. When her husband dumps her because she can't have kids, she goes off to the Edge. That's where she meets Richard and finds out about the slavers in a very brutal way.

They team up and of course fall in love along the way. This was not a bad ending to a short series. Kind of wish it could go on, but that's not our choice. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Charlotte and Richard tow very different people are thrown together in dire circumstances. He is known as The Hunter, and comes from common relations and he hunts/kills slave runners. He is excellent with flashing and using his sword. She is the most talented healer and a member of a very blue, blue blood family.her life has been sheltered and focused on healing till Richard derails things. He shows up one day at her place of rest, near death and being chased by viscous salvers who will stop at nothing to get him. Saving his life comes at a very high cost. They travel through towns looking for revenge and encounter death, torture and love.
I enjoyed this last book in this wonderful series. I loved seeing George and Jack again. *They are two of my favorite characters. I did not really connect with Charlotte and Richard. I don't know why. I love the world, the story just not them so much. I really hope the authors bring George and Jack into their own books some day. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raudman, RenéeReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Charlotte de Ney, a blueblood from the Weird with magical healing abilities, finds her new life in the Edge disrupted when Richard Mar, a swordsman seeking to wipe out slavers trafficking humans, is brought to her for treatment.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible