Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4) by…

Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4) (edition 2012)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (4)

Member:allthesedarnbooks
Title:Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read in 2013, Kindle: Read, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:urban fantasy, paranormal romance

Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

It should come as no surprise that I've been enjoying this series a lot, but I haven't LOVED any of the installments yet, until now. When I first discovered that this final book featured a healer as the main heroine, I had some qualms as to whether Charlotte would be able to achieve the level of badass-ery that I've come to expect from Ilona Andrews. Case in point, FATE'S EDGE's Audrey Callahan wasn't a fighter either, and ended up being my least favourite THE EDGE female protagonist. All of my doubts quickly flew the coop though when I learned that de Ney's abilities could also be used to harm, and I'm not talking little ouchies here, but mass murdering plagues. Never have I been so happy to eat my words! The world-building, narration, secondary characters, and storytelling absolutely rocked too. This was the series finale after all, and this author duo doesn't do half-assed. Period.

I liked that the protagonists were older; they've both been married once already, are individuals first, and a couple second. Charlotte and Richard have been around the block a couple of times, and as a result, were unwilling to settle for anything less than true love. It made them both more accepting of their respective faults; the flash fire romance was believable on account of them knowing exactly what they wanted in a partner, and not being afraid to go after it. I loved de Ney's flawless poise vs. Mar's backwoods mannerisms, and her raw power to his skill with a blade. She fears transforming into a bringer of plagues, while as he's worried that he's not Blue Blood enough for her. When they finally opened up their hearts to a relationship, it was like two puzzle pieces sliding home.

The Andrews' skillfully wrapped-up this series' story arc while still weaving a captivating story about slavers, political intrigue, and also tying up several loose ends secondary character wise. Jack and George play a vital role in this installment, and I loved how they were able to get some closure with regards to their father's abandonment. Sophie gets a piece of Spider for fusing her mother, and even Rose, Declan & Kaldar had brief cameos. As much as I enjoyed the action, I actually liked Charlotte's poised manipulations and tutelage of Lark more. It takes finesse to defeat a foe with a sword, but even more so with words, and clever artifice. However, not everyone got their HEA unfortunately, poor sweet Éléonore... And, was it just me, or were there sparks between George and Sophie? Potential spin-off?

I've now had the pleasure of listening to eleven audiobooks from Ilona Andrews and Renée Raudman, and let me tell you, the experience is in no danger of getting old. There are many reasons why this trio makes up the bulk of my Audible library including spellbinding performances, flawless pacing, and masterful tone. Raudman is the voice behind the Andrews' written word, breathes life into all of their memorable characters, and makes listeners feel like they inhabit this author duo's fictional worlds. If you're still on the fence about audiobooks, I highly recommend that you give these a try, you won't regret it! In fact, your house may end up cleaner than it has even been because you'll find yourself actively seeking out excuses to read hands-fee.

STEEL'S EDGE was the ultimate epitome of go big or go home! My god, am I ever going to miss these characters! ( )
  RabidReads | Nov 2, 2014 |
*Spoiler-free.

3.5 stars, actually.

Of all 4 Edge books, I'd say that this was my least favorite. I didn't dislike it, as evidenced by my rating, but I wasn't enamored of it, as I was with the other installments. There' s a lot to like, but where this book fell short was with the male and female lead. What a couple of wet blankets.

They had some mildly entertaining interactions, but nothing of the caliber that the Andrews have previously graced us with. Their meeting was plausible and entertaining enough and I appreciated that there was no insta-love (because I spit on insta-love - PATOOEY) but, they were really sappy and boring in comparison to the couples from the previous books.

I'm all for a hot, sexy, brooding hero, but Richard was a wet blanket of the highest order. He had a few moments, where I sat up and took notice (when dude got down and dirty, he was super-hot and that's coming from someone who usually skips sex in books, because I think it's mostly stoopit and contrived.) Unfortunately, these hot moments were fleeting. Most of the time, he was distant and so rooted in his propriety that he bored me to tears. What's worse is that he became a jealous, overbearing, insecure loser by the end of the book. I yearned for the days of Kaldar and was ecstatic when he showed up, if only for the last 1/3 of the book. Kaldar never disappoints. Dreamy sigh... Yah, Kaldar - hot. Richard - not.

Charlotte. Meh. I was hot and cold for her. She had a certain fire in the beginning that I really appreciated, but like her male counterpart, she fizzled as time went on. She was extremely pragmatic, to the point of boring me to tears.

Let's talk side characters, because that is where this story really shines. I was a bit put off at first to see that George and Jack were going to be playing such a large part of the book, mostly because I generally abhor childrens in books. Okay, abhor is a strong word. Fucking dislike. I fucking dislike childrens in books. Hear me out. I just don’t like when they take over a very adult story with their childish antics. They were entertaining in the last book, but I didn't want a repeat of that. I wanted something fresh. Thankfully, the Andrews delivered – childrens and all. If before, I liked George and Jack, I now frikkin love George and Jack. They are no longer little childrens. They've grown into interesting, complex young men. Sure, they still have their sibling banter that can be somewhat juvenile, but as the story progressed, I came to appreciate them immensely. They added a lot of much-needed complexity to the story.

Another saving grace was the inclusion of Lark aka Sophie, Cerise's little sister. Now, she was a complicated, dark character that was very intriguing and I can only wish fervently that we'll get more of her story at some point, in some way.

And so, it ends. Or does it? Something tells me that there is more to the Edge than what we've seen so far. We get just a taste of these 3 younger side characters and we get just a whiff of what they will become, but I have hopes that the Andrews are going somewhere with this. I'd take a novella, but I'm crossing my fingers for a spin-off series. It feels like it’s headed that way. I hope it’s not just wishful thinking on my part.

Despite its shortcomings, I did enjoy reading this book. All in all, this series was very satisfying in that it didn't conform to any norms. Of course, it’s the Andrews. Their worst is usually better than most and always unique. I’m going to miss this kooky world, unless my spin-off dreams come true.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
This is the story of Charlotte de Ney and Richard Mar. Charlotte is a blueblood from the Weird who has a remarkable gift for healing. Richard is from the Edge and is a remarkable swordsman. Charlotte flees to the Edge after she learns that she is barren and her husband annuls their marriage. The gift of healing has an opposite counterpart. As strong as her healing is, she is equally able to kill with her gift. It was her strong desire to kill her fair-weather husband that sent her running.

With the help of Éléanore Drayton, who is the grandmother of Rose, George and Jack, she manages to make a new life for herself in the Edge. Things change drastically when Richard is brought to her in immediate need of healing after his encounter with slavers. The slavers are hot on his heels and recapture him, killing Éléanore and another young girl who happens to be there. Charlotte sets off to rescue Richard but has to resort to her dark side to do it.

Together, she and Richard are determined to bring down the slave trade and are even more determined when they discover who is behind it. Along the way, and despite each one feeling that they are unworthy of being loved, the two fall deeply in love.

This was a fast-paced, engaging story. I also liked getting to catch up with a couple of my favorite characters from earlier Edge books - George and Jack. I feel that this book could stand alone but it gains richness and depth if you read the rest of the Edge series first. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 14, 2014 |
I was a bit wistful when I saw that this was the last of the books in the series and yet I also think that is a good thing. Not every series needs to go on and on and yet I really liked how the viewpoint characters rotated around and sometimes were used to introduce someone new to that universe. This one is entirely Edger and Weird, there is no crossover into the Broken at all. It tackles slavery in this setting and trying to get rid of it by spy methods since technically it is illegal but still happens. As with all the books in the series it is also a love story. Of course this one has leads that think they will never love again. Good fun read and I hope at the very least this writing duo will dip back in this setting at some point even if it is only for short stories. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Another satisfying entry in a very entertaining series! I love the world, and the characters never disappoint. It was great to see Jack and George nearing adulthood, and I hope that at some point in the future, they will get their chance to completely take over the spotlight...which they nearly do as supporting characters. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, RenéeReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Charlotte de Ney, a blueblood from the Weird with magical healing abilities, finds her new life in the Edge disrupted when Richard Mar, a swordsman seeking to wipe out slavers trafficking humans, is brought to her for treatment.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,373,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible