Dying To Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to…

Dying To Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing

by Anita Moorjani

Other authors: Wayne W. Dyer (Foreword)

For me this is the Book of the Year. Everywhere on the Net I encounter interviews and videos with Anita Moorjani, and even quotations by her. And this is well-deserved – we all need to hear of her experience.

Wayne Dyer was involved in “discovering” Anita and helping to get her book published, and has written the foreword to this book.

Anita informs us of her upbringing – born of Indian parents in Singapore but residing in Hong Kong. She was exposed to several cultures and spoke both English, Cantanese and Sindhi fluently.

She managed to avoid an arranged marriage, and eventually finds her “true love”, Danny, whom she marries.

But Anita’s problem is that she is a people-pleaser and is always trying to do what others believe is best, thus finding it impossible to be her true self.

One of Anita’s biggest fears was that she might develop cancer, and her best friend died of the disease, which made her even more fearful. And so she did contract cancer, Though she tries various healing modalities, they are to no avail, and eventually she slips into a coma. This is when she begins to be aware of everything those connected with her are doing and saying. She is at death’s door, but has never felt so good! She had unlimited perception and “360-degree peripheral vision”.

She felt “all moments” at once. “I was aware of everything that pertained to me – past, present, and future – simultaneously.”

She feels she understands the Universe. She realizes that “God isn’t a being, but a state of being … and I was now that state of being!”

She was completely enveloped in unconditional love and acceptance. She saw that she was “a beautiful being of the Universe”. She deserved to be loved simply because she existed. She became aware that we are all connected – everything in the Universe was connected. “The entire Universe is alive and infused with consciousness, encompassing all life and nature.”

In this book not only does Anita describe her NDE in absolute detail, but also explains all the insights she takes back with her from it. Before she wakes from the coma she is told that if she chooses to return to life, she will be healed completely, and this is what happened, despite the doctors doing their best to seek out traces of cancer somewhere or other in her body.

There is a chapter on “Why I got Sick … and Healed”, “Infinite Selves and Universal Energy”, “Allowing and Being Yourself” and, finally, “Questions and Answers”.

Anita’s NDE was a glimpse of our Oneness, and she experienced becoming the Source.

She realized that even the worst criminals, including murderers, are victims of their “own limitations, pain, and fear”. In the other realm we are all One, all the same.

Anita Moorjani is wonderfully articulate, and the book is a joy to read. Absolutely everyone should read this book, particularly of course those afraid of death. They will not be afraid ever again. Anita went through her ordeal in order to experience her NDE and inform you and me and the whole world of the amazing love, acceptance, joy and bliss of the afterlife.

Anita’s final instructions to us are: Go out and live your life fearlessly! ( )
  IonaS | Aug 28, 2013 |
Listened to this book. I enjoyed it all the way up until she started her philosophy. It was too new agy for me. I believe the Lord healed her and we have little to do with it. ( )
  csobolak | May 15, 2013 |
If anything can be viewed as life-changing experience, NDE (Near-Death Experience) should be at the top of the list. This book is an extraordinary account of such an experience and the incomprehensible consequences that it brought to the life of the author, far beyond the miraculous healing of her body from cancer. There will be people who would look at this narrative with skepticism (I had some within my close circle who did), but for me it was an extremely inspirational read. It reminded me of another extraordinary book - "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor, a Harvard-trained neuroscientist who underwent a transformational experience of a kind, even though no NDE was involved. The message in both books is similar, to an extent. Anita Moorjani makes you think of such concepts as joy vs fear as a leading component of our life, of the importance of functioning in the "being" mode vs in the "doing" mode, of the difference between self-love and selfishness. And then there is this wonderful concept of synchronicity the existence of which even I sometimes feel - "things falling into place effortlessly..." - and which occurs only when one is in tune with the universe - through meditation, mindfulness, etc.

Another crucial point she makes is the fact that we don't have to live in anxiety about what comes next. There is a way of not doing that. "My sense is", the author states, "that the very act of needing certainty is a hindrance to experiencing greater levels of awareness. In contrast, the process of letting go and releasing all attachment to any belief or outcome is cathartic and healing". Once in a while, throughout the book, ideas and notions get repeated again and again, using different words, but this repetitiveness (to which the author herself admits) is in no way to be judged: it's the result of her desire to explain her most extraordinary experience to the reader, to clarify something that fails to be defined, and yet it happened.... ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Nov 29, 2012 |
I waited in high anticipation for this book after hearing Dr. Wayne Dyer talk about if often on his radio show. It was not a disappointment. I highly recommend this book for everyone on the planet to read.

We live in a society that is so afraid to talk about death. But after you read Anita's near death experience and what she learned, you will see death in a whole new, beautiful light. Even though she describes her experience so amazingly well, I still wish I could literally get in her head and body to know how she feels. Her description of pure, divine love on the other side is so astounding.

Though I've come to believe we will always be connected with those that we love even after they physically leave us, Anita's book really helped me to truly believe this even more - and gave me comfort that when we leave this planet, we will have so much more to see and do - in a brilliant, spectaular new way. ( )
  barbaratechel | Apr 3, 2012 |

Anita Moorjaniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dyer, Wayne W.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"In this truly inspirational memoir, Anita Moorjani relates how, after fighting cancer for almost four years, her body--overwhelmed by the malignant cells spreading throughout her system--began shutting down. As her organs failed, she entered into an extraordinary near-death experience where she realized her inherent worth. and the actual cause of her disease. Upon regaining consciousness, Anita found that her condition had improved so rapidly that she was able to be released from the hospital within weeks. without a trace of cancer in her body! Within these pages, Anita recounts stories of her childhood in Hong Kong, her challenge to establish her career and find true love, as well as how she eventually ended up in that hospital bed where she defied all medical knowledge. As part of a traditional Hindu family residing in a largely Chinese and British society, she had been pushed and pulled by cultural and religious customs since she had been a little girl. After years of struggling to forge her own path while trying to meet everyone else's expectations, she had the realization, as a result of her epiphany on the other side, that she had the power to heal herself. and that there are miracles in the Universe that she had never even imagined. In Dying to Be Me, Anita freely shares all she has learned about illness, healing, fear, "being love," and the true magnificence of each and every human being!This is a book that definitely makes the case that we are spiritual beings having a human experience. and that we are all One!"--… (more)

146 wanted2 pay7 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1401940676, 1401937535

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible