Delusion in Death by J. D. Robb

Delusion in Death (edition 2013)

by J. D. Robb

475None21,722 (3.89)29
Member:davejohnson
Title:Delusion in Death
Authors:J. D. Robb
Info:Berkley (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

Delusion in Death by J.D. Robb

While the murder was nasty and there was some gruesome involved it was an interesting read and a fun visit with Dallas et al. Dallas is still having issues with what happened in Dallas and the aftermath is interesting to see. She's also dealing with this murder and the fact that it's related to the Urban Wars which are referred to in earlier books but not fleshed out. It's an interesting weave of past and present and like many of this series the who is clear fairly early on, it's the proving it for legal purposes that occupies a chunk of the story, and makes it interesting for me.

I like this series, I like how the characters interact and work together and how they actually care for each other in their own way. While it's not earth-shattering writing I find it enjoyable and look forward to my visits to this world. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 2, 2014 |
Because I sell a lot of J.D. Robb mysteries in my used bookstore, I decided to read one and see what the deal was. I'm happy to say I enjoyed this recent entry into the series. Somebody is releasing something into the air in New York City bars that causes the patrons and staff to go crazy and savagely kill each other. Detective Eve Dallas is on the case, along with her rich, fabulously handsome (this is a "Romantic Suspense" novel, after all) husband. The writing is fine and the detailed storytelling engaging. I was a bit surprised by the degree to which this was a police prodecural, and there were times I thought the book got bogged down in the Dallas and her crew's detail work and research. Interesting, but not necessarily as compelling in the reading as it could have been for me. At any rate, as I said, an enjoyable mystery. I won't go out of my way to read any more of the Robb novels, but sometime in the future I might get into the mood to read one or two more. ( )
  rocketjk | Jul 28, 2013 |
I love love love Roarke and Dallas!! This book was killer! Kinda a double ending. I loved it! ( )
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
I'm a little amazed at myself, that I can still be enjoying a series on the 35th book. But I do. The police work side in this one was pretty much hum-drum, formulaic, with the expected twist when it looks like it might be settled down. The increased description of Eve's world and its history is a nice touch. I remember how uninviting the year 2050 seemed to me when I read the first book, but by now I'm seeing it in a different light. My main quibble is that using Roarke as a "civilian consultant" didn't really make sense to me here. I mean, by now the NYPSD should realize that if they need someone with computer and lock picking skills they should be hiring. But I love the characters, and that keeps me coming back to Eve Dallas and her world. ( )
  TerriBooks | Jun 10, 2013 |
And I looked, and behold a pale horse:

and his name that sat on him was Death,

And Hell folloerd with him.

— The Bible

Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs or war.

— William Shakespeare
After a killer day at the office, nothing smoothed those raw edges like happy hour.

It was just another after-work happy-hour bar downtown, where business professionals unwound with a few drinks . . .until something went terribly wrong. And after twelve minutes of chaos and violence, eighty people lay dead.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas is trying to sort out the inexplicable events. Surviving witnesses talk about seeing things—monsters and swarms of bees. They describe sudden, overwhelming feelings of fear and rage and paranoia. When forensics gives its report, the mass delusions make more sense: It appears the
bar patrons were exposed to a cocktail of chemicals and illegal drugs that could drive anyone to temporary insanity—if not kill them outright.

But that doesn’t explain who would unleash such horror—or why. And if Eve can’t figure it out fast, it could happen again, anytime, anywhere. Because it’s airborne. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:22 -0400)

When a downtown bar erupts in sudden violence that leaves eighty people dead, Lieutenant Eve Dallas discovers that the bar's patrons were exposed to a lethal cocktail of chemicals and illegal drugs that a sinister killer administered through an airborne method.… (more)

763 wanted2 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible