Delusion in Death by J. D. Robb

Delusion in Death (edition 2013)

by J. D. Robb

Member:davejohnson
Title:Delusion in Death
Authors:J. D. Robb
Info:Berkley (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

Delusion in Death by J.D. Robb

Office workers and executives alike often like to go to a nearby bar to unwind after a long work-day. This day was no different in the crowded New York establishment. No different until everyone started killing each other for now apparent reason. Twelve minutes later 80 people are dead. Enter Eve Dallas and her entourage. Discovering the manner behind the killings is as puzzling as the reason. Of course Eve, et al, persevere and eventually discover a trail leading all the way back to the Urban Wars.

I enjoyed this book because I am invested in the series (this one comes in at # 35) and I found it to be more concentrated on the case than the characters. That’s okay. In the last two books we caught up with everyone’s lives, so it was time for a really interesting murder-focused book.

If I could ask Ms. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) one question it would be “why is Eve losing her edge”? I liked her “sandpapery” and find her giving in a little too often. Rourke is taking on a very Christian Grey-esque demanding/stalking persona and Eve just lets him get away with it making her seem a little less in control of her life. Is it just me? Or, are other fans of the series feeling the same way?
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Another great addition to the series. Although I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do an "Eve gets infected" scene. IT would have been fascinating.
I hope this series never ends. ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
Love this series and J D Robb doesn't disappoint! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
An airborne toxin drives everyone to kill each other in a crowded bar in just a few minutes. Turns out this is an old recipe going back to the Urban Wars. At some point I have to wonder if she will do a book or two based in that time frame? In the end the good guys win and another book was enjoyed. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
My long awaited engagement with J. D. Robb's Delusion in Death was well worth the wait. The book gets back to what makes the "In Death" series such a joy to experience. If you have not had the opportunity to read the series, I highly recommend book 1"Naked in Death". This is a series that must be read in its publication order to really grasp the level of growth that the character Eve Dallas has undergone.

Delusion in death pays strict attention to the timeline from the the events of "New York to Dallas" and "Celebrity in Death" to deliver a top notch procedural investigation mired in echos of the recent past.

In keeping with the tradition of some of the previous installments, the book does a wonderful job of masking the killer and presenting some surprising twists.

The NY team is back together again and hot on the trial of a diabolical killer. "Delusion in Death" brings back the essence of what make this such a great series. The painstaking process that Eve and her team execute is methodical and by the numbers. No stone is left unturned. No avenue of possibilities is left unexplored. Classic Eve Dallas!

The romantic soulful moments between Eve and Roarke reinforces the level of inner despair and worry that continues to niggle upon their respective consciences. Peabody's witty repartee with Eve serves as a reminder that life changes and you move on. The presence of the bullpen and the other secondary characters just makes all the above all the more sweeter and really drives home the need to get back to what we do best.

"Delusion in Death", is the calm after the storm. "You do the job". "You work the scene" Ms. Robb has done a fine job indeed. ( )
  TheiBookEmporium | May 21, 2014 |
And I looked, and behold a pale horse:

and his name that sat on him was Death,

And Hell folloerd with him.

— The Bible

Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs or war.

— William Shakespeare
After a killer day at the office, nothing smoothed those raw edges like happy hour.

It was just another after-work happy-hour bar downtown, where business professionals unwound with a few drinks . . .until something went terribly wrong. And after twelve minutes of chaos and violence, eighty people lay dead.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas is trying to sort out the inexplicable events. Surviving witnesses talk about seeing things—monsters and swarms of bees. They describe sudden, overwhelming feelings of fear and rage and paranoia. When forensics gives its report, the mass delusions make more sense: It appears the
bar patrons were exposed to a cocktail of chemicals and illegal drugs that could drive anyone to temporary insanity—if not kill them outright.

But that doesn’t explain who would unleash such horror—or why. And if Eve can’t figure it out fast, it could happen again, anytime, anywhere. Because it’s airborne. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:12 -0400)

When a downtown bar erupts in sudden violence that leaves eighty people dead, Lieutenant Eve Dallas discovers that the bar's patrons were exposed to a lethal cocktail of chemicals and illegal drugs that a sinister killer administered through an airborne method.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,504,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible