dismiss

Goliath by Tom Gauld

Goliath (edition 2012)

by Tom Gauld

This story reworks the David-and-Goliath myth. Goliath of Gath isn't much of a fighter. Given half a choice, he would pick administrative work over patrolling in a heartbeat, to say nothing of his distaste for engaging in combat. Nonetheless, at the behest of the king, he finds himself issuing a twice daily challenge to the Israelites: "Choose a man. Let him come to me that we may fight. If he be able to kill me then we shall be your servants. But if I kill him, then you shall be our servants." Day after day he reluctantly repeats his speech, and the isolation of this duty gives him the chance to banter with his shield-bearer and reflect on the beauty of his surroundings. This is the story of David and Goliath as seen from Goliath's side of the Valley of Elah. Quiet moments in Goliath's life as a soldier are accentuated by the author's drawing style, which contrasts minimalist scenery and near-geometric humans with densely crosshatched detail reminiscent of Edward Gorey. Goliath's battle is simultaneously tragic and bleakly funny, as bureaucracy pervades even this most mythic of figures. Goliath displays a sensitive wit, a bold line, and a traditional narrative reworked, remade, and revolutionized.… (more)
Member:jpmuzzall
Title:Goliath
Authors:Tom Gauld
Info:Montrl : Drawn & Quarterly, 2012.
Collections:Read in 2020

Goliath by Tom Gauld

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
Brief and amazing. Like the best short stories, it tells a simple story very well. I wish I could read it again for the first time. ( )
  pjohanneson | May 5, 2020 |
Great insight into the biblical story. Goliath as an empathizing admin worker. The panels that really got me were the zoom outs, when the characters were reduced to primitive stick drawings reminiscent of cave men. Goliath has a lot of heart. ( )
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
What is that saying about the number of truths about an event is equal to the number of people who witnessed it? Gentle admin-loving Goliath really gets a raw deal in Tom Gauld's retelling of the David and Goliath story. And as is often the case, the decisions of military leaders often create an inescapable weight that falls on the unlucky people who must follow their orders. ( )
  23Goatboy23 | Jan 17, 2020 |
A cute spin on a classic tale, but it's short read-time and simplistic art make this a pretty acquired taste. ( )
  rorytoohey | Mar 1, 2019 |
Goliath is a great graphic novel. It puts a new twist on the typical story of Goliath and David from the Bible. the cartoon-like pictures are very appealing and tell the story in an exciting way. I think upper level elementary students would enjoy this book. ( )
  ceh4115 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Now the Philistines gathered their armies on a mountain and the armies of Israel stood on a mountain on the other side: and there was a valley between them.
Goliath.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,652,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible