The Norseman by Jason Born

The Norseman (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Jason Born

Member:Izzymizzy
Title:The Norseman
Authors:Jason Born
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 284 pages
Tags:Viking, norseman, adventure, fiction, self-published

The Norseman by Jason Born (2010)

I had a lot of fun reading this one. The storyline itself is very entertaining and moves along a good pace while still giving the reader time to settle in between exciting portions and really get to know the characters. But what really made this book so interesting was all of the history that the author has woven in with his fictional storyline. Characters and events from the time period appear here and there and and an extra richness to events. I also could tell that Mr. Born really did his homework and presented the lives of the principle characters very accurately and gave the reader a window into how things may really have been in those times.

>>>>

On a personal note, as a former literature student, I especially appreciated being able to experience The Battle of Maldon first hand. I had to stop reading on the book at that point and dig out my old lit book to re-read the poem of The Battle of Maldon that I read in one of my British Literature classes. Kudos on that one!

>>>>

Overall a good historical adventure that I'd highly recommend! ( )
  StefanY | Jan 31, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book is mostly battle, blood, and gore, interspersed with council, filthy living conditions, bone-numbing cold, hunting, and sex. I’m not so much reading it as flipping through it.

Historically, it’s fairly fascinating since it takes place in the 900s and early 1000s. Tidbits of Viking ways of life and warfare, such as rafting together groups of Viking ships in a flotilla prior to battle, were news to me. However, this is a book full of incident but bereft of scope.

The characterizations are so similar and unvarying that reading the story makes it seem that a single many-headed, multi-armed Viking is running all over the scenes. Dialogue is simple and not self-revelatory as probably suits the illiterate warrior characters. I don't pretend to imagine self-reflection, auto-analysis, and introspection were appropriate to this class of people at this time in history. But it doesn’t make for compelling story as Born has written it. ( )
  Limelite | Nov 21, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,523,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible