The Kingmaking by Helen Hollick

The Kingmaking

by Helen Hollick

Black Horses for the King by Anne McCaffrey (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Historical novels addressing what the real Arthur might have been like. Hollick's novel is geared towards adults (and is the first in a series), and McCaffrey's is young adult - but a very engaging read.

Truly amazing book in a new edition!! Must-read for every fan of historical fiction, with deeply moving storylines and heroes who make you want to become a part of their world! My favourite author by the way ;) ( )
  Thenorthneverforgets | Jul 4, 2018 |
As the author states in the afterword, this book is culled from the various legends surrounding King Arthur and is written from her own view point of what is fact. So think of this as a novel about King Arthur which only vaguely resembles the king of myth. There is no Merlin, no sword in the stone, no magic that precedes his birth and definitely no knights, no chivalry and no questing. The bulk of the story focuses on Gwynviere and is a completely imagined story of her upbringing and how her and Arthur met and became king and queen. Again the author admits there are no real facts to support her theory so she felt free to create a new telling of the tale.
So if you enjoy stories of King Arthur with all the magic and myth involved, such as I do, then I would avoid this book.
If you like a good novel about any average tribal war chief in Britain at the time of the Saxons then they book will appeal to you. ( )
  LindaWeeks | May 14, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Book Description Who was THE MAN Who became THE LEGEND We know as KING ARTHUR?

You are the Pendragon, rightful Lord of Dumnonia and the Summer Land; Lord of less Britain. By all that is right, you ought be seated where Vortigern sits…You ought to be King."

Here lies the truth of the Lord of the Summer Land.

This is the tale of Arthur flesh and bone. Of the shaping of the man, both courageous and flawed, into the celebrated ruler who inspired armies, who captured Gwenhyfar's heart, and who emerged as the hero of the Dark Ages and the most enduring hero of all time.

This is the unexpected story of the making of a king — the legend who united all of Britain.

My Review I enjoyed this book about King Arthur very much. It was easy to read and understand and Helen Hollick told a interesting version which seemed very realistic. The characters were intriguing and I liked the fact that Gwenhwyfar was portrayed as a very strong woman. This is only the first book in the trilogy and I do look forward to reading the 2nd book very soon." ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
3.5 stars

This is the first book in Helen Hollick's The Pendragon's Banner trilogy. The familiar story of Arthur is presented here in a historical rather than mythical context and Hollick gives us a plausible and historically feasable interpretation of Arthur's story and his kingship. Arthur is neither hero nor villain, but he is certainly a far cry from the just and kind ruler we've come to associate with his name. Unfortunately, I couldn't like this Arthur, and it has affected my rating somewhat. A huge amount of historical research must have gone into this book and Hollick puts together a very vivid and convincing picture of the Dark Ages. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
For Sharon Penman with my love and gratitude
He was ten and five years of age and, for the first time in his life, experiencing the exhilaration of the open sea, for this short while, the novelty of leisure.

Book One of the Pendragon's Banner Trilogy

450 AD. Britain is in chaos.

Morgause wants power for herself, and resents the indifference of her lover, Uthr.

Uthr lost his kingdom to his enemy but now he is back with a boy, Arthur, at his side. His intention? To defeat the usurper, Vortigern.

Vortigern rules with tyranny and oppression, bending those he defeats to his own will – among them, the Lion Lord of Gwynedd, Cunedda.

Cunedda, oldest friend and ally to Uthr, must face tragedy and despair for his sons and his only daughter – Gwenhwyfar.

Gwenhwyfar, spirited and independent, a pawn in the political struggle for power, loves only one man – Arthur.

Arthur, the next Pendragon, is to serve a hard apprenticeship before he can achieve his ambitions – to take his rightful place as King, and make Gwenhwyfar his wife.

But the struggle for love and leadership runs a difficult path, one that is strewn with setbacks and obstacles that must be overcome – one way or another.
A re-telling of the legends of King Arthur as a series of historical novels.

A fresh version of the classic legend of KingArthur, portraying him in a less flattering light thanusual. He is ruthless and calculating, and the same goesfor Guinevere. A debut in fiction.

Helen Hollick is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,093,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible