God Save the Queen by Kate Locke

God Save the Queen (edition 2012)

by Kate Locke

Collections:Your library, Kindle
Tags:paranormal, steampunk, vampires

God Save the Queen by Kate Locke

4.5/5
Very unusual. I can tell you that straight away.

Most steampunk novels operate in fictional Victorian era. Kate Locke completely turned this notion on its head and instead gave us present steampunk society where Queen Victoria never died and instead became the undead and rules for all eternity.

After the Plague during Victoria's reign the virus slowly turned the aristocrats into vampires and some of them (especially the Scottish variety) into werewolves.

In the present time, London operates as usual, only the aristocrats and the Queen are still ruling. The vampires have some sort of celebrity status, while normal people live no different apart from donating a pint of their blood occasionally and keeping a record of their DNA with state's hospitals so they can be monitored for the virus development.

Of course there is unrest and attempts of revolution which will give people more rights and diminish the rule of aristocracy. There is also a strange destructive drug that allows people to borrow the supernatural strength of those affected by The Plague, but the downside of it, - you burn out pretty quickly. Women wear corsets, phones and computers are adjusted to steampunk aesthetics, etc.

Xandra Vardan is a halvie, who works as a part of Royal Guard protecting the Queen and nobility during official events and ceremonies. She is quite content with her life, until her younger sister goes missing, and a body burned beyond recognition is supposed to be buried in her place.

Xandra investigation uncovers the darkest secrets and makes her question everything she believes in about the order of things and her own origins.

This book is dark and quite brutal. The Pace is breathtaking. Some bits of it reminded me of Meredith Gentry and Toby Day's series by Seanan McGuire. I loved Kate Locke's non nonsense style, and I'll definitely be reading more. It's very visual, bright and pure urban fantasy wrapped in attractive steampunk packaging.

Very much recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I am not going to give this one a star rating.

It's the start of a new series with a new pseudonym by the author. Well written. Characters that were not one dimensional and actually had relationships besides just the love interest.

If you enjoy genres like alternative history, steam punk, paranormal romance, urban fantasy and like lots of British tv imports like Torchwood (or conspiracy theories like in X-Files) -- it's your thing.

I knew was steam punk going in but read on a friend's recommendation who knew I liked goblin stories (okay, the Goblin King in Labyrinth, George MacDonald's Curdie/Princess tales, and Jim C. Hines' goblin books). Touted as original. And had original storyline and cast of characters. Most of the world building was Victorian "early reign" stuff and there was no way you were not aware was set in Great Britain. I do realize author was deliberately going for that setting and fondly noted the cylinders and aethernet references as homage to all the lovely cliffhanger black and white SF serials I used to watch.

It fit well with a penpal read here at goodreads (and you have to love the expression on character's face on the bookcover), so I started to read.

Personally, I have just had all the steam punk I can take (well, okay, I still like Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and all the contemporary SF writers from the era) and too many chick lit books have Britished me out. Alternative history--very rarely something I like.

That's a matter of personal taste (I also can't stand Torchwood or most of the conspiracy type of reads/shows) and is why I am not giving a star rating.

Again, writing was very good and storyline was original, characters engaging.

I waded thru 30% and yelled at friend recommending. Almost got interesting for me. After 50% still did not like (again, kept almost but not quite getting interesting for me) and did manage to finish for penpal read. Maybe last 5 to 10% of book, after investing my time, I was into the action and what was happening to conclude the story. Less because I got any more interested than that I had put in the time. For me, tried both too hard and not hard enough with the pseudo-science behind the worldbuilding; and, as an American, I don't think I am one to judge how well done the British aspect was (in my opinion, rather formulaic on the British stuff as seen thru a typical American anglophile-author's eyes versus someone who spent any amount of time in England).

I actually think it could be the start of a very good series. If it's your thing.
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Plot: 4 stars
Characters: 4 stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 4 stars

Sometimes, I just want a relaxing, fluffy read. This fit the bill. I was really in the mood to read the newest Gail Carriger book, but since I was in the middle of Nano at the time, I didn't want to have her style infect my story. This was a good compromise. Same sort of tongue in cheek humor, only occasionally eye-roll inducing, and believable character growth. Though there were quite a few spots where I wished they'd had a better editor to either tighten a scene or to catch errors like words left out and such. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

God Save the Queen reminds me of a raunchier cousin of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. The Parasol Protectorate books are rooted in intrigue with a healthy does of whimsy, with true steampunk elements mixed in with an alternate universe England rife with vampires and werewolves. This book riffs on that, and there are a few very close similarities that raised my eyebrows. But God Save the Queen is overall a darker, grittier book with a brassy, in-your-face main character who isn't exactly willing to make nice with anyone. Xandra's got a good reason to stop playing by the rules, though, between the disappearance of her sister and the lies and cover-ups she's about to stumble upon.

There's a lot of strong language, sexual innuendo, and violence in this book, so use caution if recommending to teens or people who try to skip those things. If you toned down the language and the innuendo, it wouldn't read that differently than most YA books, to be honest -- the sex scenes in God Save the Queen are almost always glossed over, and YA books seem to be peppered with language and violence these days anyway. I didn't think that this was a perfect book, but it was a quick, genuinely fun read, and if I have the opportunity, I'll probably check out any following sequels. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
This was a fun book that I'm not entirely sure how to categorize. It's set in London in modern times (urban fantasy) but Queen Victoria is still alive and ruling. Technology is present but different and fashions take their cue from Victoria still (steampunk). The aristocracy is mostly made up of vampire & werewolves but they became supernatural due to the reaction of their blood to the plague (sci fi). Book classification geek aside, this was a fun read. I admit that I found the writing a little awkward in the beginning - lots of dashes between thoughts - sometimes leading to run on sentences. But after a little while I found the rhythm and had a good time with it.

Xandy is a halvie, the product of an aristo vampire father and human mother. There are pluses and minuses to this state. Much of the book is Xandy learning things about herself, her family and the development of the different groups. The strength of this novel is definitely the world building. The different races, how they came to be and interact are fascinating. There's also family drama and a sexy werewolf love interest to keep you reading.

I'll be picking up the second in the series sure enough. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |

Kate Lockeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Higgins, DonMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
House of IndulgenceCover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sipley, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my sisters: Heather, Linda and Nathalie. I could list the reasons why, but that would be a book in itself.

Queen Victoria rules with an immortal fist.

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012 and Pax Britannia still reigns.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196126, Hardcover)

Queen Victoria rules with an immortal fist.

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

Queen Victoria is the undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground, and where mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. In this world, being part of the nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy--and technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012 and Pax Britannia still reigns. Xandra Vardan is a member of the elite Royal Guard, and it is her duty to protect the Aristocracy. But when her sister goes missing, Xandra will set out on a path that undermines everything she believed in and uncover a conspiracy that threatens to topple the empire. And she is the key-the prize in a very dangerous struggle.… (more)

82 wanted4 pay1 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

God Save the Queen by Kate Locke was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,717,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible