Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred the Mermaid, Book 1)

by MaryJanice Davidson

Series: Fred the Mermaid (1)

Fredericka Bimm - Fred - is a mermaid. But she is not the stuff of legends. A marine biologist, she knows what's in the water so chooses not to expose herself to those toxins. She's allergic to shellfish. The sea creatures she can communicate with won't do her bidding. She doesn't have long blonde hair or a perfect body. And she's definitely not perky! Fred's life is mostly spent trying to conceal her origins - and lately she's been trying to figure out just why there are weird levels of toxins in the local seawater. Then two strangers come into her life. Her new colleague is a sexy - if over-curious - hunk with a mermaid fixation. The other claims he is Artur, the high prince of the black seas - and Fred's rightful ruler!… (more)
    The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Irreverence and humor galore...

What a fascinating new series this is. I love Maryjanice Davidson's books, especially the undead series and this seems to be as promising as the first book in the series. I've always liked mermaids but this was the first book I've read about them and I wasn't disappointed. Can't wait to get my hands in the second book. ( )
  AllAndAnyBooks | Sep 17, 2020 |
NOTES:

Chapter 1: Fred's middle name is 'Shea'.

Chapter 3: Fred learns her origin story from her mother, we learn where Sam Bimm teaches and why he's rich.

Chapter 4: We are introduced to Fred's boss, Dr. Barbara Robinson; another marine biologist, Dr. Thomas Pearson; and bubbly intern Madison Fehr.

Chapter 6: We meet Fred's best friend, Jonas Carrey.

Chapter 8: Fred hears Artur's voice for the first time.
Mentions: Nancy Drew and Harry Potter.

Chapter 9: Fred meets High Prince Artur of the Black Sea. (In ch. 10 he calls her 'Little Rika'.)

Chapter 11 mentions: Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes, the Black Sea, the Mediterranean, Bosphorus, Sea of Marmara, Sea of Azov, Strait of Kerch.

Chapter 13:

a. Fred and Jonas went through a Nancy Drew phase in 4th grade and formed a conclusion about the girl sleuth.

b. Learn what Fred did to rescue one of Jonas' Hot Wheels toys.

c. Jonas gets some clarification about the Undersea Folk from Artur.

Chapter 15 mention: the Pet Shop Boys' 'West End Girls' song

Chapter 16:

a. Fred was born in Quincy, Massachusetts.

b. According to Artur, there are only a million Undersea Folk.
Mentions: Havmand, Hans Christian Anderson, Daryl Hannah, the Boston Celtics, Nick Nolte, Eddie Murphy, and Owen Wilson

Chapter 17: Not only is Thomas' hotel Presidential Suite described, but also the contents of his pockets.
Mentions: Olivia Goldsmith and Aquaman

Chapter 18: Jonas gets to take Dr. Barb out to eat and hear about her former marriage.

Chapter 21: We learn about how Thomas became a mermaid geek.
Mentions: ( )
  JalenV | Jul 5, 2020 |
A fun, funny, light-hearted read. I love Fred. ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
Eh. Not the best of MaryJanice Davidson. This story took forever to get off the ground and then once it does it ends like 25 pages later. There is some totally gratuitous sex thrown in with peripheral characters and I just didn't care about the protagonist one way or the other - she was really unpleasant, and I know it's supposed to be funny, but it just didn't work for me. And its such an obvious set up for a sequal - that I won't be reading. Bleh. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Fun! More than a few laugh out loud moments. I would definitely check out the rest of the series. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

O, train me not, sweet mermaid, with thy note,
To drown me in thy sister's flood of tears:
Sing, siren, for thyself and I will dote:
Spread o'er the silver waves thy golden hairs,
And as a bed I'll take them and there lie.
- William Shakespeare, Comedy of Errors
In the blue depth of the waters,
Where the wave hath no strife,
Where the wind is a stranger,
And the sea-snake hath life,
Where the Mermaid is decking
Her green hair with shells;
Like the storm on the surface
Came the sound of thy spells.
- Lord Byron, Manfred
At sea once more we had to pass the Sirens, whose sweet singing lures sailors to their doom. I had stopped up the ears of my crew with wax, and I alone listened while lashed to the mast, powerless to steer towards shipwreck.
- Homer, The Odyssey
Them sirens loved him up and turned him into a horny toad!
- O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Yeah... bullshit.
- Fredrika Bimm, Hybrid Mermaid
To my husband who did tons of research for this project, who came up with countless ways to turn the mermaid genre on its head, who helped me several steps of the way with this book, who supports me in the good times and bad, and who loves that I make more money than he does.
The unbelievable horror began when Fred walked in on her parents making love on the living room coffee table.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,760,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible