One Good Earl Deserves a Lover: The Second…

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover: The Second Rule of Scoundrels (The First… (edition 2013)

by Sarah MacLean

Member:The_Book_Queen
Title:One Good Earl Deserves a Lover: The Second Rule of Scoundrels (The First Rule of Scoundrels)
Authors:Sarah MacLean
Info:Avon (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Own, Avon, Avon Addicts, For Review, Historical, Romance, Read in 2012, England, ARC Copy

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover by Sarah MacLean

My 1000th read on GR!

And I went back to my roots with this one.

When I first started reading romance novels, it was strictly contemporary. I wouldn't touch anything else. I read all of my mother's contemporary romances (reading is in my blood) and ignored her historical romances. Then unfortunately I came up to a brick wall...I read every contemporary romance book in the house. What was a teen to do? Trek to the library via public transportation or give this historical romance thing a try? Being as I had to be thrifty with my money...I gave that book (I still remember the title) a try. I now had a new genre to explore AND more books to read. Win-win.

I will always have a special place in my reader's heart for historical romances because they frigging rock! There are a different set of rules, the romantic buildup can be quite epic and when in the right storyteller's hands, downright legendary. I am pretty picky with claiming favorite authors, I've dropped a couple after some time because reading tastes change. But Sarah MacLean is a permanent choice of mine. This book proved why I enjoy her words.
“My whole life . . . two and two has made four.”...
“But now . . . it’s all gone wrong.” She shook her head. “It doesn’t make four anymore. It makes you.”

In this day and age of dick pics, tumblr and instant gratification, it was such a breath of fresh air to get swept into the romance, the slow build of love. The glances, the utter seduction of a touch, stares that are weighted with emotions...it can be heady stuff. Lady Philippa yearned for experimentation" aka lessons in temptation. I was right along with her. She meets Cross for scientific experiments on "ruination". Even offers to pay him!
“I am happy to pay you," she announced. "For your services."

A harsh, strangled sound cut through the room. It came from him. "Pay me."

She nodded. "Would say, twenty-five pounds do?"

"No."

Her brows knit together. "Of course, a person of your--prowess--is worth more. I apologize for the offense. Fifty? I'm afraid I can't go much higher. It's quite a bit of money. ”

The main characters, Cross and Lady Philipa/ Pippa were great! I love gamblers in romance...and can totally see this as a Regency homage to "Ocean's Eleven". (Just less people and different sort of funny hijinks)

Jasper, Earl Harlow aka Cross is physically my ideal hero. I have an affinity for ginger haired main characters. Cross is 6'6", intelligent, ginger haired, grey eyed and just the perfect package for me. I want to sit on his face. Whoa how did that get there...he's a gentleman. I want to study science with him naked. He's the smart gambler. He's damaged goods blaming himself for a lot of his past. And with attention from Philippa, he starts to see the error in his way of thinking. And seriously if Pippa was not made for him, I'd gladly take her place. Just saying.

Pippa was clearly the perfect match for Cross. She's a great member to be on the spectacled nerdy girl team. (#nerdygirlsrock!) Is she my favorite bespectacled Regency heroine? Nope, that title will always belong to Catherine Marks. Pippa is innocent and forthright, honest and has a delicate naivete that just calls to me. Being brilliant does not equal being street smart.

“I suppose I shall start from the beginning. It appears that I'm utterly lacking in the knowledge of the basics. I mean, I understand dogs and horses and such, but humans...well, they're different. And so..." She paused, then rushed forward, the words pouring out of her. "I wonder if you could explain the use of the tongue. ”

She has a thirst for knowledge. And knows that it is odd for a female to want to know more. She owns this and resigned herself to marrying a simple man (not Cross) just because it's what is required of her and he treats her fairly. She wants to try to learn more about sex but no one would dare tell a respectable lady virgin about it. Which really sucks because if she was born in present time, all she's need is a few minutes and RedTube. But she needs to know the mechanics from the human perspective and that is why she shows up on the renowned scoundrel and rake, Cross's office. How else would she ever learn how to entice her future husband? ;D

Her quest for the forbidden knowledge? Hilarious.

The slow burn of these two highly intelligent yet lovesick fools? Wonderful!

There were a few minor issues like Lady Dunblade's eyes being remarked upon in Cross's office as brown and then at Pippa's house as being blue. (Little things I catch and I can't ignore.) The ending and how the bad guy was thwarted...why didn't those two just do it from the start? It would have saved a lot of heartache. But hey it's a story and a great one at that.

Am I following the rest of this series? What do you think?

“I do, love. I want you more than you could ever know. More than I could have ever dreamed. I want you enough for two men. For ten. ”

I'm one satisfied customer - 4.5 STARS! I will slow slap one time for the utter romance of it all.
" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
One Good Earl Deserves a Lover
5 Stars

According to Society, Lady Phillippa Marbury is “odd". But for Pippa, her inquisitive mind and scientific approach to life has always served her in good stead. So, it is not unusual that she should approach the most renowned lover in London to serve as her research “assistant” when she is in need of instruction on the intricacies of the marriage bed.

Jasper Arsley aka Cross, one of the 4 notorious owners of The Fallen Angel casino, is astounded when Pippa propositions him and will do anything and everything in his power to dissuade her even as he longs to do the exact opposite…

This is the 2nd book in MacLean’s Rules of Scoundrels series and a significant improvement on the first. Pippa and Cross have a tangible chemistry and their sexual tension simply sizzles on the pages. Pippa with her forthrightness and honesty is an adorable heroine and Cross’s attempts to thwart her lead to some sweet and sexy moments.

The supporting characters are just as engaging and the secondary plot involving Cross’s arch nemesis lends a certain edgy tension to the romance.

The next book is Temple’s and I am eager to meet the woman who will bring this stoic giant down a notch or two. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Although this book didn't win the RITA award like its siblings, but in my opinion it is the funniest in the series! I just love Pippa. My most favourite of the series. ( )
  Dotland101 | Jan 30, 2016 |
Beautiful as the previous one! I really liked the couple of this new book, the bespectacled Pippa and the red head Cross. They're, in a certain way, more intriguing and complex than Penny and Bourne, more fascinating as individuals and couple.
I love the way this author tells her stories, the way she works with her characters. She's a very skilled writer.
I'm looking forward for the third book. ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |
A very cute and fun read. 3 stars ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
There were benefits to being the second son.

Lady Philippa Marbury is... odd

The brilliant, bespectacled daughter of a double marquess cares more for books than balls, for science than the season, and for laboratories than love. She's looking forward to marrying her simple fiancé and living out her days quietly with her dogs and her scientific experiments. But before that, Pippa has two weeks to experience all the rest—fourteen days to research the exciting parts of life. It's not much time, and to do it right she needs a guide familiar with London's darker corners.

She needs... a Scoundrel

She needs Cross, the clever, controlled partner in London's most exclusive gaming hell, with a carefully crafted reputation for wickedness. But reputations often hide the darkest secrets, and when the unconventional Pippa boldly propositions him, seeking science without emotion, she threatens all he works to protect. He is tempted to give Pippa precisely what she wants . . . but the scoundrel is more than he seems, and it will take every ounce of his willpower to resist giving the lady more than she ever imagined.

Before getting married, Lady Philippa Marbury has fourteen days to learn more about the darker side of life and hires Cross, the owner of an exclusive gaming hell, to give her a taste of London's wicked underworld.

Sarah MacLean is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,485,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible