One Good Earl Deserves a Lover: The Second…

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover: The Second Rule of Scoundrels (The First… (edition 2013)

by Sarah MacLean

2481946,284 (3.77)7
Member:The_Book_Queen
Title:One Good Earl Deserves a Lover: The Second Rule of Scoundrels (The First Rule of Scoundrels)
Authors:Sarah MacLean
Info:Avon (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Own, Avon, Avon Addicts, For Review, Historical, Romance, Read in 2012, England, ARC Copy

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover by Sarah Maclean

The second book in the 'Rule of Scoundrels' series. Didn't get good until the last third of the story. ( )
  boppisces | Jul 26, 2014 |
Great characters, a rather unbelievable premise, great writing, bring on [b:No Good Duke Goes Unpunished|16240497|No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)|Sarah MacLean|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360572875s/16240497.jpg|22245975]! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I'd read the first in this series, and I liked this one better. Pippa was a fun character. I love it when the heroine isn't perfect, isn't the shining example of feminine beauty and grace (because I can relate- ha!). I also loved that she became the rescuer instead of the rescuee (pretty sure that's not a word, but you know what I mean). ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
Sarah MacLean has been an auto-buy author for me ever since her first book. She has no equal in creating bold, immensely likable heroines. And her heroes aren't bad either.

For her time and place in society, Pippa is odd, and she knows it. Her mindset is rational, indeed scientific, so it seems perfectly logical to her to seek information about marital relations in advance of her wedding to the conventional Lord Castleton. In addition she clearly has read the marriage rite in the Book of Common Prayer and is worried that she will be making vows before God that she doesn't quite understand. Her mother and sisters are no help at all, so it makes perfect sense, then, to seek instruction from the wickedest man she knows -- her brother-in-law's business partner Cross.

Cross wants nothing to do with this business, but he finds himself strangely attracted to this odd young lady. Here begins the sensual dance between these two that form the bulk of the plot. And nobody does sexual tension better than Sarah MacLean.

MacLean also does an excellent job of involving characters from the first book in this series, as well as giving us glimpses of the heroes in the upcoming books. The interplay among the four owners of the Fallen Angel is entertaining and works well within the plot, never seeming like sequel-bait.

The only thing that kept this from being a five-star read for me is Pippa's clever, but for me unbelievable, scheme at the end. When reading it, I thought it sounded too much like a certain modern movie, so imagine my reaction when the author's note at the end explained that that exact movie was her inspiration. Just didn't work for me.

But don't let my reservations stop you from reading this utterly charming book. ( )
1 vote LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
Read from September 19 to 21, 2013

I liked this one even more than A Rogue by Any Other Name. Pippa is such a fantastic atypical heroine. She's odd and smart and wears glasses -- and no one tried to take them off her to give her a hot-girl makeover (you know, like in She's All That). Such a fun, quick read. ( )
  melissarochelle | Sep 22, 2013 |
There were benefits to being the second son.

Lady Philippa Marbury is... odd

The brilliant, bespectacled daughter of a double marquess cares more for books than balls, for science than the season, and for laboratories than love. She's looking forward to marrying her simple fiancé and living out her days quietly with her dogs and her scientific experiments. But before that, Pippa has two weeks to experience all the rest—fourteen days to research the exciting parts of life. It's not much time, and to do it right she needs a guide familiar with London's darker corners.

She needs... a Scoundrel

She needs Cross, the clever, controlled partner in London's most exclusive gaming hell, with a carefully crafted reputation for wickedness. But reputations often hide the darkest secrets, and when the unconventional Pippa boldly propositions him, seeking science without emotion, she threatens all he works to protect. He is tempted to give Pippa precisely what she wants . . . but the scoundrel is more than he seems, and it will take every ounce of his willpower to resist giving the lady more than she ever imagined.

Before getting married, Lady Philippa Marbury has fourteen days to learn more about the darker side of life and hires Cross, the owner of an exclusive gaming hell, to give her a taste of London's wicked underworld.

Sarah Maclean is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,887,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible