The Eggchild by Lorna Baxter

The Eggchild (edition 1985)

by Lorna Baxter

261415,071 (4)2
Title:The Eggchild
Authors:Lorna Baxter
Info:Ace (1985), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read, Cover maybe done
Tags:Fic, SF, !dunno

The Eggchild by Lorna Baxter

Love it. It works on so many levels - a simplistic child's adventure story, a meditation on power and the uses of power, an allegory on True Love and Innocence...I've read it at least a dozen times - it takes me barely an hour - and every time I learn something or renew a beloved memory. Shrimp and Trout are very funny, Rosemary is so _determined_ to do right, Jasper is all fire and stone - a flare of temper and indomitable stubbornness. Which causes problems a time or two, and at least once saves all their lives. Swanilda and Hawk, when we get to see them acting outside the roles forced on them, are lovely people. So are the adults of the Four Families, though in a way they're also forced into roles. And a happy ending. I'd love to read a later story, with Melina old enough to take part. But as far as I can tell, this is the only story in this universe. The author wrote one other, but it doesn't seem to be related. Pity - and pity her other book is so hard to get (=expensive, really. It's available, if you're willing to pay for it). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 5, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441192580, Mass Market Paperback)

In a country ruled by four families endowed with special powers, a boy and girl from two of the families find a mysterious Eggchild and feel compelled to protect it and discover its true identity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:33 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,809,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible