The Body in the Boudoir: A Faith Fairchild…

The Body in the Boudoir: A Faith Fairchild Mystery (Faith Fairchild… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Katherine Hall Page

69None172,216 (3.62)2
Member:tututhefirst
Title:The Body in the Boudoir: A Faith Fairchild Mystery (Faith Fairchild Mysteries)
Authors:Katherine Hall Page
Info:William Morrow (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, E-book
Rating:***1/2
Tags:contest win, mystery, HM12

The Body in the Boudoir by Katherine Hall Page (2012)

“Fresh Meat” by Laura K. Curtis for Criminal Element

What do you want when you pick up a traditional mystery? I am sure the answers vary some from person to person, but for me some of the big selling points of this kind of story are a solid sense of place, a few offbeat characters, and—sorry, culinary cozy haters!—delectable treats. I’d never read Katherine Hall Page’s Faith Fairchild series, but it took only a few pages into The Body in the Boudoir, the latest in the series, for me to realize it would have all three.

This entire book is a flashback, and in it we get to see the meeting and (brief!) courtship between Faith and her husband, the Reverend Thomas Fairchild. While the other books in the series take place after their marriage in Thomas’s parish in Massachusetts, this one takes place mainly in New York.

Read the rest at: http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/05/fresh-meat-body-in-the-boudoir-by-k...
  CrimeHQ | May 14, 2013 |
This series has become a favorite over the past few years, although I've read it in a rather piece-meal fashion. This prequel to the series was published in 2012, making this the 20th in the series!

As Faith Fairchild, the preacher's wife with her own catering business, settles down for a long overseas flight to Europe where she and hubby Tom will celebrate their 10th anniversary, she daydreams about how they met, about their courtship, and about (of course) the mysterious murder, i.e., the Body in the Boudoir discovered just before the wedding.  It's a well-written tale, and fills in a lot of gaps in the background of this relationship we've enjoyed throughout the series.  For fans of the series, it will be a welcome addition.  For newcomers, it's an excellent introduction to an amateur sleuth who provides us with not just good mystery solving, but excellent and yummy ideas and recipes she serves up in her catering business "Have Faith."

There were a few plot elements that seemed a bit contrived, and it seemed to take forever for the body (and mystery) to appear, but all in all, it's a good read and has me hungry to find some more in the series (there are now 20 of them!).  After all, the holidays are coming, and who couldn't use some good party ideas?

Why did I read this book now? It's been sitting on the bedside table too long. ( )
  tututhefirst | Nov 12, 2012 |
Not the best entry in the Faith Fairchild series, but a good, solid mystery. This one takes us back in time when Faith and her husband are planning their wedding. New characters and more information about familiar characters are featured. ( )
  dd196406 | Nov 11, 2012 |
The latest book in this marvelous series takes readers back to the days when our heroine, Faith Fairchild, was Faith Sibley – and had not yet met the minister who would become her husband and change her life. Faith is living in New York City and running a catering business. It’s her job that puts her in contact with Tom Fairchild and their whirlwind courtship takes them to the family home where she will be married.

And then there’s a murder. That’s the main mystery in The Body in the Boudoir. But Faith has two other mysteries to solve – one involving one of her employees, who appears to have a not-so-savory secret. And Faith’s sister Hope’s high-powered career appears to be the target of an unknown saboteur who’s trying to steal her clients.

For long-time series fans (I’m one), The Body in the Boudoir is a welcome prequel – filling in the gaps in Faith’s back story. My only complaint is that one of the secondary mysteries is solved through total coincidence. Call me a mystery purist, but that resolution was a bit too convenient. That’s not a big deal, though. Katherine Hall Page knows how to create great characters and her writing is as smooth as it gets. ( )
1 vote NewsieQ | Sep 7, 2012 |
Katherine Hall Page writes the Faith Fairchild series, combining mystery with food. Her 20th book and the first one I have read is The Body in the Boudoir, which begins with Faith and her husband, Reverend Tom, on a plane heading to Italy to visit a friend.

We flashback to Faith and Tom's first meeting, as Faith's company, Have Faith, is catering a wedding, where she meets the handsome and charming Tom. They flirt, they dance, she finds out he is the officiant at the wedding. Faith and her sister Hope have grown up in a religious family, as their father is a pastor at a large church in Manhattan, and Faith is not interested in becoming a pastor's wife.

But life is funny that way, and Faith and Tom fall quickly in love. Tom proposes on the back of a beautiful vintage watch, and soon Faith is planning a wedding. She wishes to marry at her Uncle Sky's gorgeous mansion on Long Island, and when things start to go wrong- she is almost hit by falling debris, someone tries to push her onto the subway tracks, the titular body found in the boudoir- Faith does not change her wedding plans.

Faith is an amateur sleuth and she becomes enmeshed in one of her new employee's quest to find an American soldier who spent time in Italy with the employee's family during WWII. Is this the reason that these accidents have befallen Faith?

The murder takes place almost halfway through the book, and when the killer is finally revealed, I found it slightly implausible. If Faith is supposed to have such good instincts, how did this person fly under the radar for so long? It was an issue for me.

Faith also helped her sister try to find out who was sabotaging her at her finance job, but this was a secondary mystery, although the outcome was more realistic in my view.

I liked two things in particular about this novel: the New York setting and the catering. I live in New York, on the Upper East Side, and I really enjoyed how Page integrated the setting within the story.

I also have a background in restaurants, so I found the catering parts of the book very interesting. Page gives some recipes from the story in the back of the book, and there are some I want to try, including this Veggie Mac & Cheese, which can be found on her website. ( )
  bookchickdi | Jul 13, 2012 |
Readers who might have drifted away from Katherine Hall Page’s pleasing mysteries starring Faith Fairchild, the congenitally curious wife of a New England minister and the proprietor of a catering company wittily named “Have Faith,” should accept the homecoming invitation extended in THE BODY IN THE BOUDOIR. Although it’s the 20th book in the series, the story is set in 1990, when Faith is still single, living in Manhattan and about to be swept off her feet by a young cleric she meets while catering a wedding at the Riverside Church.
added by rybie2 | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (May 11, 2012)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062065483, Hardcover)

It's 1990, and Faith Sibley is a single young woman leading a glamorous life in New York City. She has good friends, a cozy apartment, and her own flourishing catering business, Have Faith. Then, at a catering event, she meets the handsome, charming Reverend Thomas Fairchild. A daughter and granddaughter of clergymen, Faith has sworn to avoid a parish's fishbowl existence. But it's love at first sight, and before she knows it her life is changing drastically.

To begin with, she's beckoned north to chilly New England to visit her future residence and prospective in-laws, not all of whom welcome her with open arms. Thankfully, back home she has her adoring great-uncle Sky to rely on, even if his much younger wife has always struck Faith as slightly odd. For the ceremony Uncle Sky has offered up the use of his mansion on Long Island, which would be the perfect location if only the brickwork wasn't suspiciously falling off the roof.

Her path to the altar is made even rockier when Faith faces two other baffling mysteries. Her new assistant, Francesca, appears to be hiding a family secret with roots in Italy. Then Faith's sister, Hope, becomes a target. Who could be plotting to derail her high-stakes financial career?

In spite of being overwhelmed by her decision to leave her home in the Big Apple and the multitude of tasks involved in getting married, Faith has no doubts about being married to her beloved Tom. But someone out there is dead set on making sure that she doesn't reach the altar. Before it's too late, she needs to figure out who is trying to sabotage the wedding—by eliminating the bride!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:57 -0400)

Distracted from her impending nuptials by two mysteries--the disappearance of her new assistant and a saboteur at her sister's job--Faith Fairchild soon discovers that someone will stop at nothing to keep her from walking down the aisle.

Katherine Hall Page is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

45 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible