SantaThing sign up ends in 7:25 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

vN by Madeline Ashby

Authors:Madeline Ashby
Info:Angry Robot (2012), Kindle Edition, 416 pages
Collections:Shara's Library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:madeline ashby, science fiction, kindle, read: ssw

vN: The First Machine Dynasty by Madeline Ashby

Dark Eden by Chris Beckett (Anonymous user)

Hmm. There were some good ideas in here. On the other hand, I had a hard time with the pedo stuff.

I'll probably read the sequel. ( )
  adamwolf | Jun 7, 2016 |
I enjoyed this. From the get, it jumped right into the happenings. The background stories or setting were mentioned as off-handed comments, and I enjoyed this: I really didn't think it was confusing in the lease. More on the the original side of the android/cyborg/artificial intelligence being stories I've recently read. The reason for the 3 and not 4 star rating: the vN and humans seemed (to me!) to think and act the same. I think if the author could have picked something, seriously, anything, other than (what seems to me) the usual: failsafe, don't hurt humans, but the failsafe fails trope it would have made a great read. Very enjoyable, nonetheless! ( )
  Amy_Jesionowski | Nov 3, 2015 |
I really liked vN until the very last chapter. The last chapter dropped it from 4 stars to 3 stars for me. It was sort of like I was missing some chapters. Still enjoyed it though. ( )
  Fearshop | Aug 20, 2015 |
I love the library. I do wish authors made money on each time the book was checked out, then again there wouldn't be libraries if that was the deal with publishers. The reason why I love libraries is by wandering the aisles looking for that science fiction sticker (the St. Petersburg Library System puts "Science Fiction" stickers on the spines of sci-fi books) I come across gems every now and then. First it was Fortune's Pawn now it's vN.

If you're looking for military or A LOT of fighting, then look elsewhere. vN isn't full of fighting but the story keeps the pages turning, makes it so you don't want to put the book down.

Back to the library part though. I actually did pass up checking this book out. I looked at Amazon and a bunch of reviews blasted the book. Talked about how Amy (the main characters/protagonist) was just a whiner and so on. Pretty sure they were expecting some ultra-violent book and were let down. I am glad I finally shrugged my shoulders and went with my gut. If I didn't check out the book, I wouldn't have been entertained for several days.

vN is a wonderful book. It's thoughtful and puts a new spin on AI. Sure, the failsafe that prevents AIs from hurting humans is there, but it's presented in a novel way. It's not Aismov's Three Laws reworded; which is great, as I've always been a sucker for AI stories, from Neal Asher's super dark story telling to, now, Madeline Ashby's thoughtful look on it. It's just fun to read. Especially when it's not "human's inefficient, human's die".

I do recommend vN. Don't listen to those naysayers on Amazon, it's a great book. It kept me turning pages and reading in the car. I'm looking forward to reading the next in this trilogy. ( )
  scifi_jon | Jun 16, 2015 |
This debut novel by Madeline Ashby asks some interesting questions about what the motivations and desires of humanoid AIs would be, and the surprising answer is remarkably similar to what their human creators seek. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of robo-happiness looks much the same as the familiar goals, with some cosmetic differences in the health & diet departments. Ashby’s von Neumann robots are lot like the vampires making the rounds in a lot of YA fiction these days: Super-powered, beautiful versions of people who happen to eat something unusual, but share all our emotions and dramas. Here, I was a bit disappointed, and saw potential for some wildly interesting outlook that superimposes inarguable machine logic on top of everyday life. The closest thing here was the universally in-built “failsafe” directive that the vN possess which compels them to obey and cherish humans, (their garlic/sunlight/stake/holy water Achilles’ heel). The central conflict of the story arrises from, naturally, the appearance of a vN who can willfully ignore her failsafe. Like many of those YA ‘paranormal romance’ stories, there is a blossoming romance in the works, and an authoritarian regime eager to snuff it all out. The first person perspective brought to mind Charles Stross’ “Saturn’s Children”, which also featured a female humanoid robot protagonist, and a parallel mechanism to the failsafe whereby robots are compelled to obey all humans completely and lovingly. ( )
  SciFi-Kindle | Aug 10, 2014 |

Madeline Ashbyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bland, MartinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Caitlin Sweet, who loved Amy first,

and

Peter Watts, the Giant Squid who lent me an island when I rebuilt myself
Jack had lived through this same moment before, with human women.

Amy Peterson is a self-replicating humanoid robot known as a VonNeumann.

For the past five years, she has been grown slowly as part of a mixed organic/synthetic family. She knows very little about her android mother's past, so when her grandmother arrives and attacks her mother, Amy wastes no time: she eats her alive.

Now she carries her malfunctioning granny as a partition on her memory drive, and she's learning impossible things about her clade's history - like the fact that she alone can kill humans without failsafing...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:04 -0400)

"Amy Peterson is a von Neumann machine--a self-replicating humanoid robot. For the past five years, she has been grown slowly as part of a mixed organic/synthetic family. She knows very little about her android mother's past, so when her grandmother arrives and attacks them, Amy wastes no time: she eats her alive. Now she's on the run, carrying her malfunctioning granny as a partition on her memory drive. She's growing quickly, and learning too. Like the fact that in her, and her alone, the failsafe that stops all robots from harming humans has stopped working. Which means that everyone wants a piece of her, some to use her as a weapon, others to destroy her"--Publisher's description.… (more)

41 wanted2 pay7 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,644,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible