Touching the Sky by Tracie Peterson

Touching the Sky (edition 2012)

by Tracie Peterson

Member:mookiekat
Title:Touching the Sky
Authors:Tracie Peterson
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 336 pages

Touching the Sky by Tracie Peterson

Great book full of action. Loved it. ( )
  ChildofGod | Dec 11, 2015 |
Laura Marquardt's first encounter with the handsome Captain Brandon Reid left little to be desired. Despite the insults hurled at her by the brave Captain Laura finds herself drawn to this new man in town. Laura and Brandon find themselves both eager to support and educate the colored people that have come into their town. With the people of the South finding themselves licking their wounds from the loss of the war the harmony of the town she lives in doesn't share her passion. Laura's sister Carrisa, marries a Confederate soldier who uses her as a dirversion for his true motives. After overhearing a disturbing conversation from Carrisa's beau Laura fears for her sister's life and that of her own. Can she trust Brandon to protect her and Carrisa from this treacherous man? ( )
  mookiekat | Apr 25, 2013 |
Touching the Sky (Land of the Lone Star Book #2)
Tracie Peterson

Book Summary: Her heart is caught between the man she loves and the sister she's desperate to protect. Though their first encounter is hardly auspicious, Laura Marquardt soon discovers herself drawn to the dashing Captain Brandon Reid. As an officer over the colored troops, he eagerly supports her desire to educate blacks and seek harmony in a town where the defeat of the South is a bitter reality. When Laura's sister marries her Confederate beau, Laura finds herself in a difficult situation after overhearing a discussion with frightening consequences. In her heart she feels she should confide in Brandon, but Laura fears to do so may endanger her sister's life. Yet as the stakes continue to rise and Brandon's motives for pursuing her come into doubt, Laura questions where to turn...and wonders if her own dreams of love may be forsaken.

Book Review: I really enjoyed this story the best. The female lead was most enjoyable for me. The younger sister and the dilemma with her husband. The entry of the confederate officer was fun to watch knowing that he was the good guy. The drama with Laura's sister was realistic and intense. You could taste the dust of Texas and the challenges of the west in 1860's. From the opening intensity to all the drama with Laura's sister it was a page turner. I really enjoy the crafting of the story by Tracie Peterson. The development of characters, even secondary characters and the entire plot are pure enjoyment. I am always anticipating the next book before I finish the one I am in. ( )
  Robin661 | Mar 15, 2013 |
You can read my review for the first book in this series here http://edna-myfavoritethings.blogspot.com/2012/05/chasing-sun-isbn9780764206153-...
I have had to oppunity to read a lot of Tracie Peterson's books and have loved all of them. This one is no acception. As the series "Land of the Lone Star" contunies Laura Marquardt felt herself becoming more drawn to Captain Brandon Reid. As she was wanting to educate blacks, everyone around her was against it, but Brandon was an officer over them and he was all for her doing this.

After Laura's sister married her boyfriend that was in the Confederate army, Laura was so afraid for her sister and that she may be in for more than she bargarined for. It may even cost her, her own life and Laura was really worried about this.
As we all know the "War between the States" was not a pretty site, as I live in the south and love the old plantation homes and the beautiful homes in Charleston, SC I am so proud to say that I came way after this war. I had a Great-grandfather that was lost near Charleston, he and my great-grandmother had just immigrated from Germany.

I loved this series as I love the history of it all. I want to thank Bethany House for sending me this book free for me to post a review.
  EdnaT | Jul 4, 2012 |
Touching the Sky is the 2nd book in the Land of the Lone Star series by Tracie Peterson. This book is set in Texas directly after the end of the Civil War.

Laura and Carissa are daughters of a high powered Union supporter - amidst angry and bitter Confederate supporters and soldiers. Tensions run high between the black Union soldiers in Texas and the bitter Confederate soldiers. Laura and Carissa get caught in a backwooded conspiracy by Confederate soldiers to show the Union supporters once and for all who is in charge of Texas.

Laura is caught between her fierce love and protection of her sister, who is caught up with a leader of the Confederate soldiers, and her newly blossomed love interested Brandon - a former Union soldier.

Great read! Love, truth, and God's protection and care are evident throughout this story. ( )
  mel247 | Jun 26, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764206168, Paperback)

Romantic Adventure from Tracie Peterson!

When Laura Marquardt first meets Brandon Reid, their encounter is anything but pleasant. But when the two are seated together at a dinner party, they soon find that they share similar interests--Laura desires to educate blacks, and Brandon, as a white officer over colored troops, eagerly supports her cause.

When Laura's sister, Carissa, marries her Confederate beau, Laura finds herself in a difficult situation when she overhears plots to kill Union soldiers. Though in her heart she feels she should share this information with Brandon, Laura fears she will betray her sister's trust and possibly endanger her sister's life. And when Brandon's motives for pursuing her come into question, her heart is even more conflicted. Where is God leading her?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:01 -0400)

When Laura's sister, Carissa, marries her Confederate beau, Laura finds herself in a difficult situation when she overhears plots to kill Union soldiers. Though in her heart she feels she should share this information with Union officer-and-romantic interest Brandon Reid, Laura fears she will betray her sister's trust and possibly endanger her sister's life.… (more)

Bethany House

3 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764206168, 0764210084, 0764210092

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible