What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left of Me (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kat Zhang

Member:readr
Title:What's Left of Me
Authors:Kat Zhang
Info:HarperCollins Children's Books (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, 2012 Honorable Mention
Tags:fiction, dystopia, identity, teen

What's left of me by Kat Zhang (2012)

English (61)  Italian (2)  All languages (63)
Brilliant novel about two souls residing in one body and the danger these "hybrids" seem to represent to the government. Glad to have this recommended to me and I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Warning: May contain spoilers

What's left of me is one of those books that grip you from the very first chapter. The story is about Addie and Eva, two souls in the same body but very different from each other. Set from Eva's point of you, she tells you about the world she lives in where everyone is born with two souls, and how when you reach a certain age the repressive soul should in theory die off, leaving the stronger soul to occupy the body alone. Trouble is, Eva never wanted to go, and when at 12 Addie and Eva still hadn't settled after being given an extension past the normal age, the decided the only thing to do was to hide it from everyone. So Addie took over the body full time, leaving Eva only alive in Addie's mind, very much alive and breathing just without any motor skills. They had become what was only known as a hybrid, what her country had lead her and everyone to believe was a dangerous thing to be.

They moved school and town in hope of starting over, away from all the people that still talked even though Addie was now declared 'normal'. And everything seemed be going great, until a girl at school called Hallie pays more interest in Addie and Eva than they think she should. Terrified that she somehow knows their secret, they avoid her at every cost, shooting down every invitation to hang out or spend time together. Eva who feels sorry for her, finally convinces Addie that maybe she's just lonely, only to discovery that not only did Hallie (and her brother Devon) know their secret, but they were hybrids just like them. And even though they are scared at first, the promise of Eva being taught to move again is too good to miss.
But Hallie and Lissa, Devon and Ryan aren't the only ones who know about the 3 hybrids and soon they find themselves locked in Nornad Clinic with no hope of ever getting out.

This book is without a doubt one of the best I have read this year. If this is what we get as a debut I cant wait to see what else she has up her sleeve. What's Left of Me was well written, clever and heart warming. Never confusing when the story would switch from Eva's thoughts to Addie's, and all in all just a wonderful book. The characters were brilliant and unlike most YA novels out there, it wasn't centered around love or a love triangle. Yes there was a love story in there somewhere but it wasn't over powering and it was so refreshing. I'm so upset that I have to wait for book 2, but I guess that's a blessing, because if the others where out already I would have finished them and been left wanting more still haha. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes YA scfi.

Also for anyone who has read this and is looking for something to read while waiting for the second book I suggest you read The Host. Don't be put off by the author, its actually an amazing book and just like What's Left of Me its about two souls in one body, only difference being one of them is an alien parasite. Been one of my favourite books for a few years now :) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
4 stars for originality. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I skimmed through the reviews. Very interesting, the different opinions people have on this book! Here's mine, written short, since there's already so much said. I'll try to keep to things I didn't already read:

1. I liked that these characters have parents who do a good job raising them and love them.
2. I liked the jolt of surprise at the end. It fit perfectly with what I'd learned in the book but hadn't connected up.
3. I think when this author rubs some of the 'new author' off, she's going to become a major force in Young Adult fiction. And good for her if I'm right.
4. The market has become saturated with dystopian ya, so it was hard not to yawn upon being presented with yet another. When I reminded myself to view this book as a 'book', NOT a 'dystopian novel' I let go of many preconceived notions of how dystopian worlds work. I'm glad I did.
5. As much as I like Days of the New music, I must admit it would be nice at this point if the song 'What's Left for Me' would get out of my head. It pops in every time I see the book title. (It's a nice song though, so if you go listen to it and get it stuck in your head too you probably won't be mad at me.)
6. While I've grown a bit annoyed at series books in young adult fiction, because I feel like authors/publishers are just trying to milk that cow, this book was paced properly in my opinion. I am intrigued enough by this world to want to know more. I liked that the main characters weren't glossy normal-kid-to-instant heroes types. They acted dumb sometimes, selfish sometimes, and were basically real people.
7. This ended up longer than I planned. Thanks for reading it and I hope you have a nice day. ( )
  Merryann | Aug 13, 2014 |
For my mother and father, in thanks for everything they have taught me about life
Addie and I were born into the same body, our souls' ghostly fingers entwined before we gasped our first breath.

"Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else-- two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren't they settling? Why isn't one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn't. For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she's still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-- hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet-- for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible