What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left of Me (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kat Zhang

Member:readr
Title:What's Left of Me
Authors:Kat Zhang
Info:HarperCollins Children's Books (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, 2012 Honorable Mention
Tags:fiction, dystopia, identity, teen

What's left of me by Kat Zhang (2012)

English (68)  Italian (2)  All (70)
The first in the hybrid chronicles series, follows Addie and her hybrid Eva as they try to survive in a world where they are hunted. Although Eva grows weaker, she and Addie have a full inner-dialog. Addie is the dominant soul meaning she moves, speaks and acts for the duo. Suddenly a girl named Hallie is everywhere Addie is and wants to be friends. Hallie also is a hybrid. Eventually they are discovered and taken to an institution where Addie & Eva realize they need to fight back in order to survive intact.
There is a anti-foreign climate in the U.S. and some things going on internationally that seem important but aren't made clear in this volume of the series.
The characters and idea are compelling. ( )
  ewyatt | Jan 16, 2017 |
Full review coming on my blog acascadeofbooks.blogspot.com soon!
My Thoughts:
1. Intriguing idea for a plot, the two souls in one body is completely unique to me.
2. It is a pretty slow moving plot, it's hard to get too worked up at the climax.
3. Caused me to think about how I would feel if I was one of two souls in a body.
4. Really enjoyed reading the novel from Eva's (the recessive soul) point of view.
5. Relationship between Addie and Eva is really close, like sisters, but they have to experience the same things (a kiss perhaps ;) ) ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
I found myself constantly questioning how the hybrids could really function in society. If you are two different people, how do you choose a job and have both personalities be happy? What about dating? I guess I was never fully able to accept the idea that there were two souls in one body. ( )
  AmberKirbey | Mar 11, 2016 |
Extremely readable: I was halfway through and then suddenly I was at the end. I enjoy the premise of two 'souls' born in the one body though given the very little I know about multiples I'd love to see that premise examined a little more closely. Because two is such an uncomfortable number: does it ever happen that three or four are born in one body? Or that only one is?

The sequels are bound to explore the international politics more, which is definitely a puzzle. The domestic situation is drawn very plausibly, even if the historic details are fuzzy: an America rampantly xenophobic and terrified of commies terrorists hybrids under the bed is no stretch at all. And the various pressures put on parents to consent to having their children taken away... yeah. My main beef is linking the inevitable government conspiracy to the vaccines. I feel like anti-vaxxers don't need yet another fictional argument.

The plot follows a predictable shape for the first part of a YA dystopia trilogy. The characters likewise aren't highly original as characters: you've got your heroine, your love interest, your moustache-twirling villain, your heel-face turn, and so forth. But the relationship between Eva and Addie is one we rarely see elsewhere, or could expect to. Very cool. ( )
  zeborah | Jan 4, 2016 |
The two souls idea is incredibly interesting and a unique edition to the dystopian YA genre. The writing needs a bit of polishing, but I'm looking forward to how Zhang continues and resolves the series. ( )
  Bodagirl | Dec 4, 2015 |
For my mother and father, in thanks for everything they have taught me about life
Addie and I were born into the same body, our souls' ghostly fingers entwined before we gasped our first breath.

"Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else-- two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren't they settling? Why isn't one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn't. For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she's still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-- hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet-- for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible