Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Terry's Upside by Richard Bonte

Terry's Upside (edition 2010)

by Richard Bonte

Terry's Upside by Richard Bonte

Recently added byAllizabeth, AmandaKerr

No tags.

Description:

Rod Lafleur lives a comfortable life in Paris with his family and their twenty thousand inherited gift shares of the Allen Toy Company. Privately owned, the company has prospered, although the Lefleurs and their relations have no say in, or ownership of the company. Unfortunately, this means that the inherited shares are worthless in the open market, and therefore aren't making the shareholders any real profit. Cue Terry Roberts, Rod's distant cousin who shows up unexpectedly with a moneymaking scheme that brings out the greediness in everyone. Is Terry really who she claims to be? Or is there something more sinister behind her motives? Can Rod find the truth before it's too late?

Review:

The fist thing I noticed about Terry's Upside was its strange cover, why a moss-covered tree? Is the author referring to the family "tree" and the relationships shared by the characters? I also wondered about the book's overall format - was it originally written as a screenplay? Why were there no quotation marks when the characters were speaking? I am a bit obsessive about punctuation, so this pet peeve was a little hard to get over. Overall, I enjoyed the characters and the story-line, but I wasn't a fan of the pace. I found that it lacked the action and "thrills" I am used to, so the reading was slow going. I also wasn't too crazy about the legal terminology. I did however enjoy the ending, which I wasn't expecting. I wish Richard Bonte much luck on future books, the idea was great, but this one just wasn't my cup of tea. If you are a fan of legal financial thrillers, this book may be for you.

Rating: Bounty's Out (3/5)

*** I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Apr 15, 2012 |

Insider trading family drama.

A page turner which savages ambulance chasing in all its forms, and particularly in the United States.

When Rod Lafleur is visited one day by a distant second cousin, Teresa Roberts, he doesn’t know what to think. For one thing, he hardly knows Terry, having met her only once and talked to her a couple of times on the telephone. For another, Terry has always ranted on about hair-brained schemes and pots of gold, about this or that one being greedy or not getting their fair share of the family pie: a privately-held, well-known plastic toy company in the Mid-West. Sure, Rod and his extended family have inherited twenty thousand gift shares of the Allen Company. But they have no decision-making power, and the shares are worth nothing on the open market. Terry has a new spin and the Lafleurs are willing listeners until they find out that the option contract she has is not what they thought it would be nor is Terry exactly who she claims to be.

Will Rod be able to save his family from the clutches of the evil Terry and his own greedy sister-in-law?

Will Rod be able to save himself?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,742,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible