The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. by…

The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. (2012)

by Nichole Bernier

2063456,890 (3.69)4

I wanted to love this book, but I found it frustrating. I kept feeling like it was so close to being a great book, but never got there. The relationships were really interesting, but didn't feel quite fleshed out enough to work; the mysteries surrounding the last months of Elizabeth's life were close to being page-turners, but never quite got there... And I hated the ending. Hated. So...an ok book, an easy read, but i think it could have been so much more. ( )
  AmyCahillane | Feb 24, 2016 |
Enjoyable read because of the concept, diaries willed to a friend, but won't win any awards for the writing. ( )
  taconsolo | Jan 8, 2016 |
There must have been something about this book to keep me reading - I did finish it. I suppose I kept reading in the hope that some fascinating relationship issue would be revealed. It wasn't. Having read all the way through I can now save you that effort. That book starts mediocre, doesn't really improve in the middle, and finishes without any substantial improvement. I think the essential problem for me (and it might be very different for you, especially if you're a Middle Class American Mom) is that Bernier didn't seem to really get deep enough into her characters. The concept of the story is fine and a bare plot outline makes it seem appealing, but it needs a writer with the skills of say, Robin Black, to bring out that potential. ( )
  oldblack | Dec 12, 2014 |
Loved the ability to know Elizabeth through her journals and see Kate's reflection of her own behavior through those pages. Great exploration of marriage, family, the power and pull of satisfying work. Loved the writing. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | May 31, 2014 |
After the death of her friend Elizabeth, Kate is given her journals to decide what to do with them. As Kate reads the journals she realises she didn't really know Elizabeth at all. ( )
  RefPenny | Jan 6, 2014 |
Somehow I should have been able to say how strong and resilient you were, what a patient and abiding and bonding force, the softness that proved in the long run stronger than what it seemed to yield to.... You are at once a lasting presence and an unhealed wound.

Wallace Stegner, "Letter, Much Too Late"
To Tom,
so generous with works in progress,
and to all unfinished women,
gone too soon
The George Washington Bridge had never been anything but strong and beautiful, its arches monumental, cables thin and high.

Inheriting her best friend's diaries after a tragic accident, Kate learns unknown aspects of her late friend's life, from her deeply troubled childhood to her feelings of powerlessness as a wife and parent.

195 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible