The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. by…

The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. (2012)

by Nichole Bernier

There must have been something about this book to keep me reading - I did finish it. I suppose I kept reading in the hope that some fascinating relationship issue would be revealed. It wasn't. Having read all the way through I can now save you that effort. That book starts mediocre, doesn't really improve in the middle, and finishes without any substantial improvement. I think the essential problem for me (and it might be very different for you, especially if you're a Middle Class American Mom) is that Bernier didn't seem to really get deep enough into her characters. The concept of the story is fine and a bare plot outline makes it seem appealing, but it needs a writer with the skills of say, Robin Black, to bring out that potential. ( )
  oldblack | Dec 12, 2014 |
Loved the ability to know Elizabeth through her journals and see Kate's reflection of her own behavior through those pages. Great exploration of marriage, family, the power and pull of satisfying work. Loved the writing. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | May 31, 2014 |
After the death of her friend Elizabeth, Kate is given her journals to decide what to do with them. As Kate reads the journals she realises she didn't really know Elizabeth at all. ( )
  RefPenny | Jan 6, 2014 |
This book is, in part, about the differences between who we are and how others see us. Kate knew Elizabeth as a devoted wife and mother, a friend that she met in a suburban Connecticut play group. But when Elizabeth dies in a plane crash, she leaves her journals to Kate. During a vacation at the beach, Kate starts reading and learns how little she knew about Elizabeth. As Kate struggles with her own insecurities and questions (Has her marriage gotten stale? Should she go back to work? Can she keep her family safe in a post-9/11 world?), she learns that Elizabeth wasn't as polished and secure as she appeared.

I listened to this book on audio, and it worked well in that format. At times, I felt like the themes of this book(Do we really know each other? Can we ever find a balance between work and motherhood?) overshadowed the story, but these are the questions that I struggle with as well, and Bernier doesn't propose easier answers. I appreciated that. ( )
  porch_reader | Nov 21, 2013 |
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. The premises sounded captivating: A woman leaves her journals to her best friend instead of her husband and children. What secrets are there that she would never want them to know?

Sadly, the book was a complete bore. Yes, things were revealed, but I honestly didn't feel any type of connection with anyone and even after pages and pages of information, I really got nothing out of it.

I imagine this would be an ok book for a book club as everyone could sit and debate the issues brought up, but why bother? Life is to short to read and discuss mediocre books.

Sorry - I can't recommend this one. ( )
  tweezle | Oct 16, 2013 |
Somehow I should have been able to say how strong and resilient you were, what a patient and abiding and bonding force, the softness that proved in the long run stronger than what it seemed to yield to.... You are at once a lasting presence and an unhealed wound.

Wallace Stegner, "Letter, Much Too Late"
To Tom,
so generous with works in progress,
and to all unfinished women,
gone too soon
The George Washington Bridge had never been anything but strong and beautiful, its arches monumental, cables thin and high.

Inheriting her best friend's diaries after a tragic accident, Kate learns unknown aspects of her late friend's life, from her deeply troubled childhood to her feelings of powerlessness as a wife and parent.

204 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible