Heiress of Lies (Bloodtruth #1) by Cege…

Heiress of Lies (Bloodtruth #1) (edition 2012)

by Cege Smith, Christine LaPorte (Editor)

Member:LibStaff2
Title:Heiress of Lies (Bloodtruth #1)
Authors:Cege Smith
Other authors:Christine LaPorte (Editor)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:LT Member Giveaways

Heiress of Lies (Bloodtruth #1) by Cege Smith

Angeline is to be the queen when her seriously ill father dies. On her way home from the convent she is kidnapped by Connor, a vampire. He is to take her to his Master. Along the way trouble befalls them. Angeline must learn to deal with those troubles so she can return him. I loved Connor. He does not want to be a vampire and is searching for a cure but he will do as his Master wants and bring Angeline to him. Angeline is not the most reticent of victims. Since she has been trained to be queen, she will do what she must to escape and survive to make her way home. I liked her. She is spunky and kick ass. She is not going to let anyone get ahead of her. However, she discovers that much of what she knows is lies. She has to figure out what is true, what is lie. Who she can trust and who cannot be trusted. I do not like that she has to be married to be queen. I also do not like the man, Malin, who has been chosen for her. I have my suspicions what he has done and what he will do. I need the second part of this series to know if I am right. There is a lot of action and adventure in this story and it sets up the series very well. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jan 31, 2014 |
An interesting take on the war between humans and vampires. I like Angeline, the main character, as she is strong and intelligent. There were a few things that l was not crazy about, but overall it was a good read. ( )
  madamediotte | Jan 30, 2014 |
Amazon Description:
Blood never lies, but people do...

With the King of Altera on his deathbed, all eyes are on his only child, eighteen-year-old
Angeline Robart. Called from her studies to return to her father's side, the Crown Princess is kidnapped en route by Connor, a mysterious rogue who has been waiting a long time for the chance to change his destiny.

Facing the consequences of a freak accident that even Connor could not prevent, Angeline is forced to travel a dangerous path to regain control of her fate and her kingdom. Her impossible choice requires her to rely on Connor, who epitomizes everything generations of her family tried to destroy.

As the last of the Robart bloodline, Angeline discovers that enemies she thought long conquered have been lying in wait for just such an opportunity as her father's death to turn events to their advantage. Worse yet, by uncovering those secrets, Angeline must confront the possibility that no one ever expected her to take the throne in anything but title alone.

As her bond with Connor grows stronger, she realizes they have far more in common than she ever expected, and that could make him just the ally she needs.

Opinions:
Heiress of Lies is the first book in the series about a Princess who gets kidnapped on her way home to see her father who is on his deathbed. Being kidnapped by a vampire is the least of her worries when something bad happens to her that threatens not only her ascension to the throne but everything she thought she knew.

The story is written in third person, following Angeline and Connor. Angeline is the Princess of Altera and the only heir in line for the throne. She was sent to a convent to continue her studies before she would be brought back to take the throne. Because she is not a male heir, she must be married to become queen. Therefore, she is betrothed to the king’s advisor, Malin – a highly respected match amongst the people. When her father becomes deathly ill, she travels back to the kingdom from the convent. Along the way, her caravan is attacked. Angeline is kidnapped by Connor, a vampire – albeit a disgruntled one. Connor never wished to be vampire. He has spent the vast amount of his new existence seeking a cure for it. When the Master of the vampire declares that he will grant any desire to the vampire who brings back Angeline alive, he jumps at chance. But, he’s not the only one interested in Angeline.

Besides following the above storyline, the plot also centers on lies and betrayals. There are secrets from the past that are affecting the characters now. Angeline is special, and she becomes more special as this journey continues. The story leaves off for the next book to pick up. It was fairly short (for my usual length in books) and therefore a quick read. I liked the different twists in the book – deceptions, lies, etc. I would have liked to see a little more reaction of the people/characters during the last two chapters. Obviously there are other books, but a few more paragraphs would have been nice. For example, two characters got maybe a line or two about what happened after a certain event. I think this should have been expanded upon.

Overall I enjoyed the book. If you like paranormal stories (with vampires/fantasy kingdoms), then you might want to try this book. ( )
  Maria1010 | Oct 23, 2013 |
With all of the vampire books available, I was a little hesitant to read another vampire book but this book was awesome. I am very thankful to have been given the chance to read it. (LibraryThing Giveaway) Plus, finding out that Cege Smith is Minnesota author is even more exciting! I fell in love with the characters and can not wait to read the next!
  BrittanyElsen | Jul 8, 2013 |
2 ½ Stars: Liked it, some really great elements but not executed to my pleasure enough for 3 stars. Close but not quite there for me, though I do plan on continuing the series.

First thing that drew me to this book was the cover. Just look at it; isn't it beautiful?

Loved:

-The Twists, secrets and reveals
-the history, the beginning of this world. it seems really different than what I've read
- paranormal creature not normally included

Liked:

-as I kept reading I grew to like the characters more and more

Meh:

telling, not showing often. (I liked it to be more descriptive.)
the beginning; hard to get into, didn't connect with the characters very well
insta-love that seems very 'Twilight like' (that is not a compliment...) at first, it does change as the story goes

Didn't Like:

-the repeating prologue (I liked that passage just not the fact that it repeated. Made the story feel circular and pointless.)

-the repeating phrases like describing vamps almost every single time as 'long forgotten enemy' and one man is only described again and again as tiny and/or old. (Other than mentioning his hair upon meeting there’s nothing else (face, body, posture) described of him.)

-minor things :
how convenient the failure of telepathy was a times (never seems to work when they need it but always fails for story progression.),
how apparently these people don't use the bathroom or anything (we get detailed day to day yet there's no breaks. After being knocked out for 12 hrs a human is going to need to, yet they keep rolling like there's no need for hours.),
how it was overlooked when someone was naked (I mean, come on no one at all noticed/commented/acted differently afterwards because of this? Not even the naked person? Not even with the love story going on? Note: Not a sex scene or anything like that.)
kept wondering how “they” have missed finding a giant stone face at the edge of the woods after searching for so many years and all that.

This book and I did not get along at first. I was a struggle to get into it, and connect to the characters. There was a lot of action and things happening but I didn’t really care. I wasn’t wowed or found it interesting. I was fearing this would be a medieval fantasy Twilight. I was worried when Angeline was all but drooling over the man kidnapping and her hostage when she was wondering if that same man murdered all her guards no less. Oh, boy. .

The good news: Angeline is no Bella. Connor is not Edward. Sad fact that books in this genre with male vamps and human woman is now automatically compared to Twilight. (Can we go back to using the Buffy Standard please?)Angeline holds her own while fighting her attraction to Connor and I like what I see from her. Connor does have a bit of the Angel complex going on and I keep hearing Searon in the voice of Spike. (These are good comparisons.)

The thing is I do like these characters. They are solid, dynamic, interesting people and I want to get to know them better but I still didn’t connect personally. I only care because they are the players in the game, the overall story that I want answers too. As I went on reading I got more involved and started caring. By the end, I’m looking forward to the sequel, which I think I’ll enjoy more since I already have a feel for these characters. (Plus, royal court drama!) I really do want to find out what happens to Angeline, her kingdom and what else is going to be revealed. Still don’t really care about the romance aspect since it’s insta-love and I don’t see the attraction/point. I mean, it’s not like there’s a soul bond or anything magical to describe it so jumping straight to love just doesn’t work for me.

I like the prologue for getting to know Angeline (though it does kill the mystery/suspense aspect a bit knowing part of the outcome). Without it I think she wouldn't have come across so well to me at first. That prologue does explain a lot for who she is, but maybe if it was omitted and just repeating in the back it would have the effect of a character arch. Or keep the prologue and at the end don't repeat it all just maybe at snippet from her and the rest from the other point of view. Something different. As it stands, with the repeating it felt, well, circular. We don't have a full idea how Angeline got to where she was at the end and after all that drama to just end where we were....just well, sucked. Not satisfying at all. Of course, the sequel has been out for awhile now so you can just jump into the next book. I do think it was a good cut off point but the repeating is what really killed the ending for me. I can't even re-read books I read 10 years ago because I become bored with them. (Seriously, going back to re-read, my recall is so great I can't stand it.)

There's a bunch of little things that bothered me along the way that stood out particularly since I wasn't in "love goggle" mode with the characters. Most of it is really inconsequential but still it detracted since I was stopping to highlight every 10 or so pages (sometimes more often).

I ultimately enjoyed it, will continue the series and recommend it (especially since I’m sure the minor things that bugged me won’t bug most people). It’s action packed young adult romantic suspenseful medieval fantasy only 200 pages long. The main thing with this book and why it felt lacking is that I wanted more. More descriptions to flesh out the scenes so I could really get into it and just more from it, because I really like the base elements - which cause higher expectations. ( )
  BrokeBookBank | Feb 1, 2013 |

Cege Smith is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible