The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell

The Death of Bees (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Lisa O'Donnell

Member:TooBusyReading
Title:The Death of Bees
Authors:Lisa O'Donnell
Info:William Heinemann (2012), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read, Your library, ARC
Rating:*****

The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell (2013)

English (52)  German (1)  All languages (53)
More than anything else, I LOVED the depth and rawness of the characters in this book. It wasn't uplifting
, at all, but I didn't really mind. I could've read an entire book on each of these characters. Marnie, the tenacious, headstrong girl who has built up emotional walls with everyone she knows. Nelly, who's character was slowly revealed throughout the book. Lennie, my favorite, who was heartbreakingly misunderstood. Even the dead parents had such personality. This is definitely a book that I will remember for a long time. I wasn't ready to be finished with their stories, and would love to read a sequel, or even a prequel. ( )
  ASmithey | Aug 31, 2014 |
Lisa O'Donnell is my new favorite writer. She sets her novels in Scotland, though their origins are universal: children struggling in a world where loathsome and/or incompetent adults hold sway.

Marnie and Nelly are Glaswegians whose parents are drug addled and criminally neglectful. When they get their just desserts, the girls try to stay together and to avoid detection. This is a common theme, but here, in alternating voices, is a story of uniqueness, courage, strength, and powerful love.

The girls' next door neighbor is an older gay man, Lennie, whose lover had recently died. He is by nature a nurturer and saves the girls in every possible way, especially when their missing maternal grandfather returns to claim them, and Marnie knows right away that he's "off".

This book made my heart hurt and heal. Most highly recommended. ( )
  froxgirl | Aug 27, 2014 |
Dark and yet beautifully funny and uplifting. This is a story about sisters and the unbreakable bond as well as the impact of abusive families on adolescents. I also thought the depth of the characters was well done. The author was sympathetic to the more socially unacceptable characters and showed shades of good and bad in every one. ( )
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
Have to love a book that starts "Today is Christmas Eve. Today I am fifteen. Today I buried my parents in the backyard. Neither of them were beloved." ( )
  pharrm | Aug 14, 2014 |

Lisa O'Donnellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobs, StefanieÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To my children Max and Christie
Izzy called me Marnie after her mother. She's dead now, actually they're both dead.

Hazlehurst housing estate, Glasgow, Christmas Eve 2010. Fifteen-year-old Marnie and her little sister Nelly have just finished burying their parents in the back garden. Only Marnie and Nelly know how they got there. Lennie, the old guy next door, has taken a sudden interest in his two young neighbours and is keeping a close eye on them. He soon realises that the girls are all alone, and need his help -- or does he need theirs?

As the year ends and another begins, the sisters' friends, their neighbours, and the authorities -- not to mention the local drug dealer, who's been sniffing around for their father -- gradually start to ask questions. And as one lie leads to another, darker secrets about Marnie's family come to light, making things even more complicated.

Written with fierce sympathy and beautiful precision, The Death of Bees is an enchanting and grimly comic tale of three lost souls who, unable to answer for themselves, can answer only for each other.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:32 -0400)

Trying to keep the death of their parents a secret, Marnie and her little sister Nelly are on their own until several residents in Glasgow's Hazelhurst housing estate suspect that something is not right.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible