The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell

The Death of Bees (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Lisa O'Donnell

Member:TooBusyReading
Title:The Death of Bees
Authors:Lisa O'Donnell
Info:William Heinemann (2012), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read, Your library, ARC
Rating:*****

The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell (2013)

Recently added byprivate library, yougotamber, Erin.Patel, MerryKat, etbm2003, JennyJen

English (48)  German (1)  All languages (49)
Have to love a book that starts "Today is Christmas Eve. Today I am fifteen. Today I buried my parents in the backyard. Neither of them were beloved." ( )
  pharrm | Aug 14, 2014 |
The book wasn't what I expected it to be, but it was a fairly good read in the end. It's very harsh and raw at times, but incredibly well written, especially considering the topic of the book. While I think the author did a good job at telling the story, there were times I felt the book dragged, and overall it just didn't live up to my expectations. The characters are what made the book. They all had some interesting quirks, but I think having the multiple narratives for the characters worked out well. Each had their own, clear narrative, and helped shape that character's personality for me. Nelly, was a very unique character, and it was hard to get to know her properly, but I think she added something to the book.

The overall story was also well written, a tough topic at times, but I think the author did a good job with telling the story. The ending was fine, I didn't dislike or like it and overall the book itself was well done, but, as I said before it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. From other reviews I thought it would be a far more engaging read. While it was a good story, it wasn't as good as I thought.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Death of Bees ( )
  bookwormjules | Jun 29, 2014 |
Strong characters, unique voices, and inventive language (including Scottish slang!). Some of the events at the end felt a little too convenient but overall, a fascinating and absorbing read. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Jun 7, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, from the authors prose to the character's and story line, I felt it a realistic, disturbing, yet optimistic portrayal of a difficult life.
Having worked in social services for over 20 years, I knew these girls; had met their parents and often prayed they'd find a Lennie of their own.
Regardless of whether you've experienced, or even aware of people who live in, desperate circumstances I think you'll find this book to be , in the end, an inspirational ride. ( )
  shevener | Mar 2, 2014 |
The Death of Bees is a gritty and heartbreaking story. Fifteen year old Marnie and her twelve year old sister have lived a life of neglect and poverty. When their parents die unexpectedly they bury them in the backyard and tell people their mom and dad are traveling.so they won't be put into foster care. When an elderly neighbor befriends the girls they have stability and the beginnings of a true family. The story is told in multiple points of view and while at times their are a few light moments this is a grim story. I thought.the book was well written and does a good job of holding your interest ( )
  68papyrus | Feb 12, 2014 |

Lisa O'Donnellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobs, StefanieÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To my children Max and Christie
Izzy called me Marnie after her mother. She's dead now, actually they're both dead.

Hazlehurst housing estate, Glasgow, Christmas Eve 2010. Fifteen-year-old Marnie and her little sister Nelly have just finished burying their parents in the back garden. Only Marnie and Nelly know how they got there. Lennie, the old guy next door, has taken a sudden interest in his two young neighbours and is keeping a close eye on them. He soon realises that the girls are all alone, and need his help -- or does he need theirs?

As the year ends and another begins, the sisters' friends, their neighbours, and the authorities -- not to mention the local drug dealer, who's been sniffing around for their father -- gradually start to ask questions. And as one lie leads to another, darker secrets about Marnie's family come to light, making things even more complicated.

Written with fierce sympathy and beautiful precision, The Death of Bees is an enchanting and grimly comic tale of three lost souls who, unable to answer for themselves, can answer only for each other.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:32 -0400)

Trying to keep the death of their parents a secret, Marnie and her little sister Nelly are on their own until several residents in Glasgow's Hazelhurst housing estate suspect that something is not right.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible