My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel…

My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century (edition 2012)

by Rachel Harris

Rating:****1/2
Tags:time travel, teen, Italy

My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris

My Review

This was my first read from author Rachel Harris and it was fantastic! There was a little bit of everything in this book... swoon-worthy romance, fabulous characters, humor, and conflict. There is a little bit of the contemporary right alongside the historical and the blend of both creates a mystical story that I truly fell into.

Cat is a perfect protagonist who really grows over the course of the novel. She is a daughter of Hollywood, but she is far from the "mean girl/rich girl" stereotype. Instead, she was a bit socially awkward, a bit of a loner. This made her instantly sympathetic and I loved that she was, at heart, every girl. But as her life changes, we get to see so much more depth. We see the hurt and the pain, but we also see the passion, the intelligence, and the humor. Her "cousin" Alessandra was very different from Cat, the epitome of a proper 16th century young girl. She was also a perfect friend for Cat and the two of them together were as sisters or best friends should be. And Lorenzo... oh, Lorenzo. The perfect Book Boyfriend! Gorgeous, smart, creative, funny... what more could you want?

Some Quotastic Goodness

--Throughout history, while day-to-day life has changed, humanity hasn’t (Loc. 217).

--I live my life by the wise words of Eleanor Roosevelt: no one can make you feel inferior without your consent (Loc. 677).

--If looks could kill, I’d be a barbecued pineapple (Loc. 888).

--The first is that if beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder , I want the world to see me the way he does. Every flaw, every imperfection that I hate about myself has been made beautiful through his eyes and with his hand (Loc. 1454).

--At least I can look like a Kardashian while hyperventilating all over the dance floor (Loc. 2164).

--Our second kiss is gentle and passionate , tentative and hungry, all at once (Loc. 2419).

--At certain times of the month, I’ve considered chocolate consumption an urgent matter (Loc. 2529).

--“There we go, rule number three. Caloric consumption. Thou must not thinketh or worry about the circumference of one’s thighs while at a sleepover (Loc. 2785).”

--“And I’ve learned that letting people get close to you doesn’t always lead to pain. Some people are actually worth the risk (Loc. 3127).”

My Recommendation

This was a fun read with great characters and an interesting story. One thing I really appreciated was the author's attention to detail. It kept the experience believable and I applaud that! ( )
  Kiki870 | Apr 11, 2014 |
This novel is such a girl's book. It's a time-travel, feel good afternoon reading experience.

Cat's mother is an actress who panders to the paparazzi and creates many scandals. Cat can't stand this behavior and tries to avoid the photographers and do her own artsy thing. Her father is a famous director who believes in a "normal" life, but he's getting married and Cat doesn't like Jenny. Cat has agreed to a Sweet 16th Birthday party that Jenny is planning. As a thank you, Cat's father splurges and takes the three of them to Italy. She convinces her father that she can take a tour alone. On her way back to meet her father and on time, Cat sees a gypsy tent and goes inside. When she emerges, she's in the 16th Century.

Cat is stuck in the 16th century until she learns what she needs to learn. She magically has changed into an appropriate dress and speaks fluent Italian, which is handy. Thankfully, she still has her backpack with gadgets from this century. She is taken in by her mother's relatives from this century, noting that they are nothing like her mother and are actually very loving and family-ish. She meets an artist named Lorenzo and they see stars. Cat is having a great time being part of a family, seeing art in the century it was created, falling in love with Lorenzo, and enjoying something new. A rich, somewhat questionable man who has money and influence is fascinated by Cat's unusual personality. Uh-oh! Problem! ( )
  acargile | Mar 8, 2014 |
This book was so flippin cute! I loved the imagination and setting... hands down my favourite setting EVER! I loved everything about this book!!

More to come... ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
Rating is 3.5 ( )
  Sunflower38 | Apr 11, 2013 |
I love the title, and the cover image is amusing, too.
  Kaethe | Mar 29, 2013 |

On the precipice of her sixteenth birthday, the last thing lone wolf Cat Crawford wants is an extravagant gala thrown by her bubbly soon-to-be stepmother and well-meaning father. So even though Cat knows the family's trip to Florence, Italy, is a peace offering, she embraces the magical city and all it offers. But when her curiosity leads her to an unusual gypsy tent, she exits . . . right into Renaissance Firenze. Thrust into the sixteenth century armed with only a backpack full of contraband future items, Cat joins up with her ancestors, the sweet Alessandra and protective Cipriano, and soon falls for the gorgeous aspiring artist Lorenzo. But when the much-older Niccolo starts sniffing around, Cat realizes that an unwanted birthday party is nothing compared to an unwanted suitor full of creeptastic amore. Can she find her way back to modern times before her Italian adventure turns into an Italian forever?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible