Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Stalemate by the dread pirate Iris Johansen
Hauling away...

Stalemate

by the dread pirate Iris Johansen

Other scoundrels: See the other authors section.

More o't' same stuff: Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller (7)

CrewmatesArr! ReviewsPopulARRrityCrew sysMentions
Nought
  1. Countdown by the scurvy dog Iris Johansen (2005)
  2. Bonnie by the scurvy dog Iris Johansen (2011)
  3. Blind Alley by the scurvy dog Iris Johansen (2004)
  4. Hide by the scurvy dog Lisa Gardner (2007)
  5. Double Take by the scurvy dog Catherine Coulter (2007)
  1. Chill of Fear by the scurvy dog Kay Hooper (2005)
  2. Blind Side by the scurvy dog Catherine Coulter (2003)
  3. Eleventh Hour by the scurvy dog Catherine Coulter (2002)
  4. Step on a Crack by the scurvy dog James Patterson (2007)
  5. Prior Bad Acts by the scurvy dog Tami Hoag (2006)

Nought.

Hauling away...

Poorly written -- spotty editing w/poor word choices -- fast read.
  bobp0303 | Jul 26, 2011 |
I got a Great Story and a Good dose of Forensic Science!

My good friend told me about this book, since she knew I got "hooked" on the field of forensic medicine after watching a certain tv show. Tv is fine, but for me nothing is better than a good novel that can weave a story around a subject that I'm interested in. Anyway I thought "Stalemate" was a fantastic novel and the forensic professor Eve Duncan was just the character I was looking for to keep me hooked on the field of forensic science. I was thrilled with the author's detailed descriptions of this field and way she just pulled me into this fascinating story. In summary, I really enjoyed Iris Johansen book. ( )
  NancyChase | Feb 9, 2011 |
Awesome book! I couldn't put it down. Of course, I love all the books in this series, but this one in particular was fantastic. There were some really unexpected turns and twists in this one regarding Eve's story line and I am really excited to know that she is getting close to solving her mystery and that makes me want to get started on her next book! ( )
  jlouise77 | Apr 12, 2010 |
I've been a long-time fan of Iris Johansen, especially the Eve Duncan series. Although STALEMATE is decidedly different from the other stories starring Eve Duncan from the past, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it--so much so that I stayed up until 3am to finish the book.

Yes, the Eve in this story isn't the saintly, never-do-anything-wrong Eve that many readers have come to know and love. She becomes attracted to a bad guy who, at least in the beginning of the story, is the mother of all bad guys. Montalvo, however, isn't what he appears to be--just, as it would turn out, the same way that solid, ever-steady Eve isn't just the pushover we've always thought her to be.

The action in this story is non-stop, with a great appearance by Galen (one of my favorite characters of all-time) and with a great new character, 19-year-old Miguel. Montalvo, I'll admit, is a very, very appealing character; whether he's being a bad guy who seems to kill without compunction or a sensitive man who lost his wife to a drug lord, you can't help but find yourself drawn to him.

I, for one, am hoping that Ms. Johansen brings Montalvo back for more stories. Whether or not Eve and Joe (who, by the way, acted like a giant, ego-bruised baby throughout most of this story) can get their relationship back on track, or whether Eve will allow her attraction to Montalvo to grow, we'll have to wait and see.

But STALEMATE is definitely not a disappointing read. Kudos to Ms. Johansen for bringing back an Eve Duncan who actually started to act like a real, fallible human being, instead of a perfect, wounded princess. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 14, 2009 |
Eve is no closer to locating Bonnie than ever, and her missing daughter continues to haunt her. When a South American arms dealer offers her a dangerous bargain - identify a skull for him and he'll track down Bonnie's killer for her - she can't resist the lure. But Eve has more hostages to fate than her lost daughter. This time her obsession with bringing Bonnie home may just cost her the life of someone close to her.

It's been a while since I read the preceding novels, but Johansen deftly handles backstory details, and the story takes off fairly quickly. That said, while the tension continues to build, there isn't a great amount of action. The supporting characters are wooden and fairly one-dimensional, and the premise is a bit of a stretch. Eve's tendency to threaten violence toward anyone who endangers her loved ones gets a bit tired by the third or fourth repetition. It's a solid enough series entry, but Johansen's capable of better. ( )
  SunnySD | Sep 14, 2008 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon

Scribbler's nameRoleType 'o authorWork?How farrr the crew's sailed
Iris Johansenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dyck, Jennifer Vanteller o tha talesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Wha most mateys call it
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
Startin' out
The phone was ringing.
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
(Click if'n ya wish to see. Warning: May let the cat out o' the bag.)
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553586548, Mass Market Paperback)

Eve Duncan has turned down the job twice already. Her skill and devotion in identifying murder victims and helping bring their killers to justice may be world-renowned. But Eve works exclusively for law enforcement and the families of the innocent, and the man on the other end of the phone is many things—none of them law-abiding or innocent.

One of the world’s most wanted men, little is really known about Luis Montalvo except that he is extraordinarily dangerous and that he never takes no for an answer. Now he wants Eve’s help in the worst way. For he believes they have something in common—and he’s about to prove it with a grisly warning.

Eve will leave everything and everyone behind, even the man she trusts and loves the most, Atlanta detective Joe Quinn, to travel to Montalvo’s luxurious armed compound in the Colombian jungle to identify the skull he has recovered. She has agreed to this devil’s bargain to save an innocent family, but also for a reason she can’t admit to Joe, to the CIA, to anyone. For the man in the jungle has promised to be able to give Eve what she wants most of all—the key to unlocking the darkest and most painful mystery of her past.

But Eve is in more danger than she can imagine. As she gets closer to identifying the skull, she finds herself caught between two ruthless killers with no way out. Now, with everything on the line, Eve Duncan must make the most chilling choice of all. And if she’s wrong…she’s dead.

From the Hardcover edition.

(raided from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:58 -0400)

Eve Duncan is a forensic sculptor goes to South America to help a drug lord in need of her services, after he offers to help her find her seven-year-old daughters body and killer.

Pillage Etomes Audio

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (3.58)

Four editions 'o 'tis book were published by Audible.com.

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,319 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible